View Entire Thread
Re: Daiwa Accudepth Linecounter Reel

I have 10 daiwa sealines in sizes 27 and 47
-Don't put lead on a 27 it is too small,
unless you use 5 colors or less.
-47 holds 30 yards of backing and 10 colors of
18lb. leadcore. It is not a very good reel
for leadcore.
Reason for Daiwa's not being good for winni is the drags do not adjust down to light pressure very well.
If we are talking lake Ontario the Daiwa sealines are AWESOME! Winni not awesome.

Anti reverse is not a big issue for downrigger fishing and lead trolling because the line is always tight and so is the handle. there is no slamming because it's already tight.

I have used the accudepth in small doses and found them to have better light line adjustability than sealines even though they are cheaper reels.

I also have 10 Okuma Magda's all year 2006. I can honestly say that after a full season of guiding I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM!!! I had some models that were a few years older and THEY SUCKED!!! I burned them, not kidding! I used to spend big money on reels for winni downrigging and i won't do it anymore. I can buy 4 magda's for less than the price of 1 tekota and you couldn't ask for a more perfect winni reel than the Okuma Magda 15.

For Magda's I have 4 size 15's for the riggers 2 size 20's for tiny wire, 2 size 30's for lead and 2 size 45's for secret weapons wink wink!! They are all super reels with great light line adjustability.

For lead i would buy 2 magda size 30's and put on 100 yds of 20lb flyline backing on them and 10 colors of 18lb leadcore. It is head and shoulders above even the $100 daiwa sealines. You won't be disappointed trust me. The new Magda's are really good and they are a complete steal at $35-40

Do a search on leadcore on this site i talked at length a couple times about leadcore set-ups and drag tensions in the last couple months.

I also run 10 Abu Garcia 5600 and 6600 reels and they are great awesome drags and good quality but no line counter drives me NUTS. I tie on measured pieces of line and use them for planer board fishing and sometimes as extra rigger stackers. Drawbacks are the clickers are not very durable. Maybe not a problem for everyone but as a charter captain i have to hear what is going on all the time and i leave the clickers on 100% of the time. If you don't need a line counter the C4 5600 is a GREAT REEL.

Re: Re: Daiwa Accudepth Linecounter Reel

good post Adrien, Alan Nute set me up w/ 4 Magda pro 30dx w/lead last summer just as you described in your post. they were not alot of money and worked out great.

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Daiwa Accudepth Linecounter Reel

My 2 cents...I totally agree with YO and ilucas on the Magda Pro line counter Okuma's. I run the Magda 30's with 100 yards of 15# mono backing and 10 colors of 18# leadcore. It all fits perfectly with room left over for leaders. Paired with the 7' 6" yellow Eagle Claw rods, they can't be beat for the money. The 20's will hold 200+ yards of 15# mono that I use for downrigging.
Springtime I go lighter and load the 20's with 5 colors of lead when I don't need to go too deep.
Like Adrien stated, all reels were bought this year, 2006 and I had no problem with them.
I also bought a couple of 27 Daiwa's for more money and they were not any better than the Magda Pro's.
Of course, this will only be my third season at this and I have never had the privilege of fighting a 5 pound plus salmon like many of the pro's and non-pro's on this site have...Still learning and loving every minute of it!

Re: Re: Daiwa Accudepth Linecounter Reel

YOAdrien very well put.I never thought of using the okumas as reels for winni and when I fish maine.I use ultra light set ups when I fish other than Lake Ontario.I'm just getting into lead core so I enjoy your posts on lead line fishing.You seem like a well seasoned fishermen.Thanks for the input.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Daiwa Accudepth Linecounter Reel

From a guy who knows him, calling him a well seasoned fishermen is def. an understatement, He enjoys fishing so much and gets so excited i almost enjoy watching him more then catching fish LMAO, and of course he helped me to get rid of my friggin DONKEY too LOL Take Care God Bless and Good Hunting LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Daiwa Accudepth Linecounter Reel

Dave from what I have read I won't ask about the donkey.Like I always tell my daughter I will all ways be a kid even when I'm 100 years old just tie wrap a rod to my hand I'll get the fish in some how!!

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Daiwa Accudepth Linecounter Reel

Thanks for the input guys. I think that I will wait until the spring and pick up some of the okuma's at AJ's.

Thanks,
John

Re: Re: okuma problem

Yo Adrien

how do you know if the magda 15 or whatever size is a 2006?

I have one from a couple of years ago and keep having a problem: the reel sticks or freezes when in freespool...about half the time. One of our local guys thought it was a loose screw he noticed inside, which he tightened, but the problem returned.

have you heard about such a problem?

wondering if this has been resolved in newer models and how to tell what's a 2006.

Re: Re: Re: okuma problem

Floyd from what I could tell the few times I used them, they seem like a decent reel, not sure what is 2006 or older model as I don't own any. But I think most of the dealers turn thier inventory over pretty well and you knpow Cabelas must sell a boat load.

They are kind of a "throw away" reel anyhow at the low price, I'd can the one your having trouble with and buy another. You don't want a "reel problem when that biggest fish of the season is on".

If Adrien likes it, he can certainly afford the best and usually goes with the best, it must be a decent reel.

Another point, the charter guys like him that use them are having all kinds of people use and abuse them and they are holding up, so they must be OK.
Most salt water charter boats go with s--- equipment, old and plain junk. But the Winni charter guys have more pride in thier equipment, cheapo reel or not, you know it's going to be good and work well if they use it.

I might pick up a few meself.

John S.

Re: Re: Re: Re: okuma problem

I did get one of those reels that did that to me... I believe it was a 15. When you turned the reel upside down you could get it to freespool, but rightside up it wouldn't work??? I brought it back... was given a new one. They're covered under warranty by the manufacturer. However, I returned mine within a few days... not sure you could return yours at this point?

Other than that one problem, mine have worked great. I bought like eight of them this past summer. 15s and 20s. Biggest fish we had on one of mine was about a five pound salmon... drag worked just fine.

The price is amazing... especially considering the linecounters actually work. I've used others in the past (more money) that had faulty line counters. Always nice to know how far back from the rigger ball you are, so you can keep putting the lure back where the hits are coming from.

Magdas... try 'em you'll like 'em.

Re: Re: Re: okuma problem

I don't know but i bough them all this spring and summer from places that wouldn't have old ones hanging around. i guess i am just assuming them to be 2006 models. could be 05's

as far as problems and fixing them goes, i have no idea i have never had a problem with 1 yet except for 1 i had 5 years ago that i burned.