(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Niagara Bar

not a bad idea.

wilson is 13 mile creek that is 13 miles from the niagara river and the bar.

no big deal on a calm day and an easy trailer ride to the ramp in Youngstown on a good road.

Re: Niagara Bar

http://www.msnusers.com/YOAdrienpictures/pictures

Check out this address

These are all my online pictures

Go down to Bottom of list for Lake Ontario Pictures

All pictures are from Niagara Bar in Spring except for a couple of big browns from oswego springtime.

Re: Re: Niagara Bar

Bob the bar was on fire last year.Some friends of mine went a couple of times and they were having days of 30 to 40 fish caught and released some doubles and a couple of triples.they had such a mild winter the fish were every where.I'm heading out there in May next year I can't wait.One of these days I would like to fish for steelies in the river it self they cast egg sacks for them and do really well.I don't think you could go wrong going out there the fishing is great.Like YoAdrien said there is nothing like getting a spring king on your line plus there is alot of bows around that time of year.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Niagara Bar

Now that's worth the trip. Sign me up, I'm in, does anyone know a good guide service that fished that area.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Bob the bar was on fire last year.Some friends of mine went a couple of times and they were having days of 30 to 40 fish caught and released some doubles and a couple of triples.they had such a mild winter the fish were every where.I'm heading out there in May next year I can't wait.One of these days I would like to fish for steelies in the river it self they cast egg sacks for them and do really well.I don't think you could go wrong going out there the fishing is great.Like YoAdrien said there is nothing like getting a spring king on your line plus there is alot of bows around that time of year.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Niagara Bar

John I will find out for you and post it when I do.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Niagara Bar

John,
Here are a couple of Charters for the bar region, it's going to take all of your SS check. Several years ago, I was spring fishing in Mexico Bay and was talking to some guys at the launch that took a charter out of the bar and they got 50 + fish in one day of fishing, makes your mouth water. Plans are in the works for a trip out there this spring.
Guide1
Guide2

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Niagara Bar

Gray Ghost the first site didn't take.Thanks for the other site I have a call in to Tom from Atomic fly's For any of his thoughts of charter captains for that end of the lake.His fishing team Cold steel has done very well out there so I'm hoping he can give me a couple of captains to call.Gray Ghost when do you think you will be heading out that way?Last May was very hot out there so that's when I'm shooting for.It takes me 5 hr to get to Fair Haven so I think I will need to add at least 2 to 3 hr's more but the drive will be worth it.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Niagara Bar

Erin,
That site seems to be down at this time, I tried it and would not recognize the info requested, try later. The following site has a list of charters for the western end of lake. I’m looking at the end of April or the beginning of May for a trip, things change somewhat year to year depending on the weather, bait movement etc. It’s a 500 mile trip from my place. Are you fishing the bar or the Oaks, using your boat?
Charters

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Niagara Bar

Yeah Gray Ghost I would take my Baby along.It's like my Blanket I don't go to New York with out her.I'm not sure where just yet but I will give you a shot when I find out.

Erin

Western Lake Ontario fishing site

This site is great
Forums, guides, info, hotels links all of it!

www.olcottfishing.com

All the captains within 18 miles of the bar.

As far as the best of the Best goes
Thrillseeker Sportfishing
Capt. Vince Pierlioni
He has been winning all the pro tournaments for years. Book with him if you can, let's just say you better call early!

Other great guys are the Hotline, HawgMaster, and Northfork charters. I have met them all and feel confident reccomending any of them. All out of Olcott, NY

Also, it is all highway right to the boat ramp in Youngstown N.Y. takes me 8 hours from Nashua, NH area. 500 miles. Oswego takes me 5 3/4 hours.

Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

I forgot to mention.

There is a big Fishing Derby for a couple weeks in early to mid May.
It is the Spring LOC

It is a great tournament to fish but also like the winni derby gets a bit crowded and the fish get a bit spooky after being hit in the head with downriggers for a week!

My thoughts on this are that if you are looking for the tournament atmosphere and a shot at $25,000 go for it and fish the derby. But on the other hand if you just want to go out and have a good time and not worry about the tournament and have the boat ramp and the water to yourself and a small handful of boats you should go the week before the Spring LOC. Believe me it is a lot more fun avoiding the B.S. than fishing the tourny. And I LOVE Tournaments but i won't drive 500 miles to get stuck in a circus.

To each his own!

I plan to go first week in may for a few days. Small group of us heading out 1-2 boats 3-5 guys if you want to follow that's fine but i don't have a set date and being a farmer i'm at the mercy of the weather, besides that lets get a caravan going on out there!!

Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Last post :: when i said "you" can follow i meant whoever no 1 person in particular, just anybody.

Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

I hope I'm still signed up for this caravan??? Been looking forward to it... only have five months to go!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

As long as I am not coaching baseball I will be in the convoy....

Popeye

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

absolutely guys you're in!

I know slipknot can drive a boat like a pro and i know popeye won't choke when we hook into a reel swamp donkey! My dad is good for a long nap and wakes up just seconds before the biggest fish of the day bites i think he has espn or something?? Then back to sleep. And i can be the slave mate riggin lines and droppin' balls, hey, that's what i do!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

You sure he doesn't have NESN... LOL

That would be quite the boat load... what am I the comic relief??? OK... now I'm anxious to get winter over with! Muhahaha

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Here is some info that a friend of mine sent me on the olcott area,he keeps his boat there at the marina.This is what he told me.Thought I would pass it on.

Erin the newfane marina is owned by the town,so it's a public marina.It's a $6.00 launch fee,and if you want a dock for a day or week,it's .75 cents a foot per day and it includes electric and water hookups.I always get a dock,so I call ahead and reserve one the # is 716-778-5462.
They open plenty early 5:00am or earlier,and someone is usually there at ten at night,so you can launch late at night for the next morning.The people who work at the marina are really accommodating.It's just kind of a laid back place.
The marina has a fuel dock with very reasonable gas prices,about the same as onshore,good launch ramps six boats at a time,a nice fish cleaning station with running water and a grinder for the fish waste.There's lots of docks,maybe 75-100,and there are also two private marinas in the harbor,and a restaurant & bar on the water.All the charters are docked there also.
It's a minute from the launch to the chute pierheads.
Olcott is about twenty five minutes west of oak orchard/pt.breeze.We always stop at Captains Cove tackle in oak orchard on the way up and drop several dollars.It's a really nice well stocked shop,and it's up for sale if your looking for a career change.
The port of Wilson,is about ten minutes west from Olcott if you want to give that a try,or you can go another thirty minutes past that and launch at fort Niagara if you want to fish the bar.
We normally keep the boat at a dock in Olcott and fish west to Wilson and east to a bit beyond the Somerset power plant.You said you read the oak report every day,www.attheoak.com I do the same,it's a great report.You should also check out www.olcottfishing.com its put out by Karen at the boat doctors in olcott,it's a decent site and she's honest on the reports.if it's not updated,its because she got no reports from any captains or rec. guys.she has tons of links to the area on it,actually too much stuff.The Niagara river is only 18 miles from Olcott,and it brings a huge amount of bait and fish into the area.It also brings warmer water into the lake from Erie in the spring making the spring salmon fishing fantastic.
The steelhead fishing is without a doubt,far better than any other part of the lake.I don't have last years loc results,but in 2004, fourteen of the top twenty steelies came from Olcott and Pt.Breeze.a few other things that come to mind that are a plus,are deep water close to port,less blow days at that end of the lake, The charter captains in olcott are very free with the info,and the people in the area are very friendly.#2 places to stay, Harbor motel 716-778-5190,lake Ontario motel 716-778-5004
#3 boat repair, the boat doctors(I keep my boat there),His # is 716-778-8592 #4 restaurants,Harbor inn,good family food also has a bar,Caforas Italian restaurant,awesome Italian food and some hot waitress's.
#5 tackle shops, The boat doctors,phone as listed above,the slippery slinker 716-778-8592.Hope this helps.I'm still waiting on one other reply.He says it takes him 6 1/2 hours from springfield at 70 mph.

YOAdrien do you have a place you stay when you go there?

Erin

P.S. Here is the Pro-Am tourney series dates
Orleans-May 26-27
Niagara-June 2-3
Oswego-July 7-8
Wayne- July 14-15
All tourneys will be Saturday and Sunday competiton.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Great post Erin, lots of info. The Spring LOC is May 4 to 13.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Here is a web page that has a few good charter Captains from Lake Ontario just scroll down until you find the harbor you want to fish out of they are pro staffers from A-Tom-Mik fly's These guys are reel good at what they do.Also if you need fly's for the Lake Tom is a great guy to deal with.
http://www.atommiktrollingflies.com/pro_staff.htm.
Hope this helps.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

If Anyone Needs a Net Man Give me a shout, I also make a pretty good boat pilot as long as you have GPS LMAO and i can actually cook too LMAO Take Care God Bless and Dream of 4/1/07 Woooo Hoooo I know i sure am!!!!!!!!! LOL Dave From up North

I stay at the Lite House Motel a 1 minute walk from the marina in olcott. Actually a 1 minute walk from everything. 2 tackle shops and restaurant.
Ladys Name is Darlene 1-716-778-7270 she has about 30 rooms there and they are nice.

There are also a bunch of small houses in town for rent for fisherman.

The Boat Doctors are a boat shop and tackle shop and they are very nice people.

The slippery Sinker is also a great tackle shop.

when there is no derby going on in town people will tell you everything no big secrets until derby time. It is a very friendly place.

Also if you drive south out of town for 10-15 minutes you will be in lockport a city outside buffalo. Outback Steakhouses and Real Hotel chains like comfort inn and wal-marts and malls. Wives can't get bored around there buffalo itself is 30 mins.

My wife absolutely loves going fishing here because there is plenty to do if we don't fish all day Niagara Falls is also right there obviously.

Do you think in late April or begining of May that I should stay in Wilson or Olcott and travel to the bar or fish infront of olcott?

depends on the year and the winds.

If the winds are constant out of the west for a while it CAN blow a nice warm pocket of water over to wilson and olcott and be full of fish, if not, trailer to the bar it isn't far.

Look at the site i mentioned for western lake o fishing in the spring people will talk about it.

Your best bet would be to fish the bar itself it is hot on the bar or within 2 miles of it 90% of the time. 1 year i went in late april of a cold year and there were no salmon but lake trout from 6-15+ pounds all over it. there is always something there.

Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Yo,

If you are going to start a list of boats that want to go following you out there put me at the top of your list. Fishin'Buddies ( Ernie & Glen ) will gladly sign up, we had a blast out there this year in the July trip and look forward to a spring trip. An early start planning will give us all something to do over the long winter and make for a smoother trip when the time comes to go. Like all meeting in Nashua at a given time to get started, or hotel planning ahead of time. If others sign up we can help them get ready with gear tips,lures,line so everyone will be ready when the time comes. Just a suggestion, lets get some feedback guys.

Ernie Fishin' Buddies

I agree It gives us something to talk about during the long winter months.I will go thru my files and post lure colors and rigs they use out there.I will call my buddy that fishs out there during the LOC derbys he stays at a place that has cabins.I will let you guys know.

Erin

sounds good!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

noooo.... it sounds GREAT... LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Anyone got room for a Hitchhiker????????? More then willing to pay my fare share Can't even begin to imagine catching a 20# fish Wow that has got to be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Dreaming of Spring already LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

there is always room for big dave! we'll get you out there don't worry pal!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Ok I will bite;put us on the list to go, we (Paul and Jeff of chaotic Fishing)will join the convoy to NY.we have not met you guys in person but will at your spring gathering if you have one.this sounds like it could be a really fun adventure. yes ,a list of the right equiptment needed would be nice, there must be something we do not have, like the latest lure in monkey puke color, we have not been beyond Mexico Bay- nine mile point etc. Do we need to book lodging early ? dock space is almost a must,is anyone interested in shareing a house or cabin etc.fishing is what I do when there is no hunting seasons.

There is plenty of time to get our stuff together I'm in the process of getting # of places to stay and also looking at my past files on colors and lures that are good for out there.I will list them as I go along.They use alot of purple and black out in the westen part of the lake there is a big difference in colors used than in the Oswego Mexico area plus they fish alot shallower(I don't think I spelled that right but you get the point)than in the eastern part of the lake I hope to have some info maybe on friday.

Erin

if we go before the LOC derby in the spring there is plenty of lodging. I always keep my boat on the trailer in the spring it is an 18 mile run over water from olcott and 13 miles from wilson. if someone finds dockage in the niagara river that would be great i just never looked for it.

spring on the bar it is usually stained water and using bright colors like orange do great also greens and blues work well. always changes depending on water clarity.

Gee Thanks Adrian I appreciate it immensely Guess i have to start buttering up the Wife so she'll let me go LOL I'll have to buy her a special christmas present and tell her she doesn't have to get me anything except permission to go Fishing on the Real BIG Lake LOL Won't cost her nothing I'm more then willing to bet she'll go for that LOL Take Care God Bless and I can Already Hear the Screaming Drags of Springtime Wooooo Hoooooooo LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

I agree with YOAdrien I'm still waiting on a return call for info.But Adrien your right about the brighter colors I keep forgetting it will be spring most of my info I have is for summer time when there fishing down a little deeper.But from what I have read all of the brighter colors work like brite green flor.red and I guess the steelies love a little pink in the lures also but then again what do I know it will be a new adventure for me also.I'm hoping for that call today.He might know where we could get dock space out there.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Here is a site for marina's and ramps for the Niagara area.the othe site has links for that area also.
http://www.niagara-usa.com/fish/marinas.html

http://www.olcottfishing.com/links.html
There is alot of stuff to read during the winter.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

Dave,
We met at the gathering in the spring, my wife Ruth and I sat with you and John at the same table. Ruth can't go to the big lake in the spring so I need a net man who can also catch fish to take her place. Just my son Glen and I going so we have room if you are interested. If not than let me know and I will put out the envite to someone else. Sharing info and sharing space is what this site is all about, and making good friends.

Ernie & Glen

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Western Lake Ontario fishing site

You can Def. count me in if ya got the room Wooo Hoooo thanks for the early Christmas Present I love This Site I ain't gonna be able to sleep at all tonight be to busy waiting for spring to get here LOL Take Care God Bless and Now I'm really Dreaming of 4/1/07 to get here LOL Dave From up North