Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fisheries management?

I was wondering, Im guessing that winni is managed pretty well based on how well the fishing is and the fact that theres alot of bait for the salmon to feed on. Is there a place I can get data on this. I really want to know about lake massabesic here in manchester. I know they put tagged rainbows in there for the rotary derby Im just wondering if there is enough food for these fish to grow and worht the time to fish for the derby. Besides its close to home and may be a good lake to try trolling. Has anyone trolled this lake? I know its not real deep but there are some holes and from what I have read there are rainbows and browns in there. Anyone have any feed back on this? Thanks.

Re: fisheries management?

Some info about Massabesic. Fish and Game stocked 3690 brook trout and 200 brown trout also 2480 rainbows. In 2005 no figures out yet in 2006. Never fished there but always wanted to try it.I used to work in Manchester. And used to stop in at wildlife taxidermy at the Massabesic traffic circle.They told me at that time. The lake was loaded with golden shiners.And a good place to fish was near the water intakes for the manchester water work. There are underwater caves. Which are the intakes. But if you stop in there. They should give you some good info about the lake. Hopes this helps you out.

Re: Re: fisheries management?

You certainly won't be fishing anywhere near the water intakes, the entire area surrounding the treatment plant is off limits and is marked with buoys, and depending on the size of your boat, you might not be able to get on to that side of the lake anyway(Deerneck bridge). I'd start with a depth chart at the forementioned Wildlife shop at the circle, they are $1.00. I couldn't give advice for icefishing the trout, but early spring when the water is still cold is the time for trolling.

Re: Re: fisheries management?

thanks! I am familiar with wild life taxidermy Ive bought alot of my gear from them.

Re: Re: Re: fisheries management?

Does anyone know if there is smelt in that lake? I live like 15mins from there. I've often wondered about it. My friend fishes it for bass, He said it was good for small mouth and large mouth. I heard it was pretty shallow.
Dan

Re: Re: Re: Re: fisheries management?

I've never heard of smelt being in there, but I believe they've stocked all sorts of stuff in there over the years. I'm pretty sure the deepest hole is 70 ft in an area called the fingers, but most of the lake is shallow(15-30ft), although there are quite a few good spots where there is a steep drop, right off the shoreline rocks. There's no doubt it would be worth trolling early spring after it's stocked.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: fisheries management?

I think it may be good for trolling in the right spots. The deepest part is called the fang its out near camp carpenter on the manchster side. There are also some deep holes 40ft or so in the main body near the massabesic traffic circle. Be careful though there are a few unmarked reefs and big rocks.
thanks foer all the replies sorry about typos Im typing fast at waork