Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Computers

Are you sure you lost the Hard Drive? Take it to an expert they are usually pretty good at recovering information. But a Thumbdrive they sell them up to 4 Gigabytes now and that will hold all of your information as a back-up I have a 1 gig for all of my school stuff and i ain't even close to filling it up and i've had it for 2 1/2 years, Just a suggestion plus they aren't very big at all my lighter is bigger then the thumbdrive. Take Care God Bless and Good Luck LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Computers

We have a company right here in town that does that exclusively. over the years we have brought two HD's to them and both times it was "we can't recover anything from your drive, 700.00 thank you". I think it's a scam, if they can recover anything it's about 4000.00 to 7000.00, either way you loose, big time.

I wish we knew why the network back up shows "0" bytes, after the last time we had this problem (we lost 6 months) I swore it would never happen again, we had fail safes, etc. wrong, we have less data backed up this time than we had last time.

My whole life is/was on that computer, I can't begin to tell you how messed up I am and will be.

Maybe my son will be able to fix it and/or maybe we can send it out and recover everything, but I'm not feeling very optimistic about it right now.

Problem started with a power supply that died, he changed it and when he puting everything back together etc. he blew out the dust, etc. with one of those small cans you buy. A flash of flame was seen by the HD, the computer wasn't even plugged in. Now the powers supply is fine but nothing else.

John went to school to be an "IT" technician, so he knows his stuff, just had some bad luck. He's going to try and find a PC board the same as the HD has and change that, but it's a weekend, no luck finding the same board.

I have no e mail now so I'll use this board a bit to keep in touch until I'm up and running somehow.

Every phone number I had was on the HD, I do have yours and a few guys on my cell phone, but it does not work in my house, have to drive up the road..

I'll be in touch,

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Are you sure you lost the Hard Drive? Take it to an expert they are usually pretty good at recovering information. But a Thumbdrive they sell them up to 4 Gigabytes now and that will hold all of your information as a back-up I have a 1 gig for all of my school stuff and i ain't even close to filling it up and i've had it for 2 1/2 years, Just a suggestion plus they aren't very big at all my lighter is bigger then the thumbdrive. Take Care God Bless and Good Luck LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Computers

I think I'd find a new computer company... $700 to tell you they couldn't recover anything??? Definitely a scam. My in-laws had theirs recovered once and it was even cheaper than that.
Good luck either way.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Computers

Thats steep, Im not a big comp buff but I had a similar problem this summer. I took itto a friend of mine and herecovered everyhting for a case of bass ale. I will explain a little maybe you know someone who can help you for less. If your hard drive crashed alot of times its usually the operating software Ie windows whatever. the info "financial records and stuff" is still there the problem is you cant read it cause operating software is messed up. My friend put my hard drive in his computer "that works" and was able to extract 90% of my stuff because his operating software was working. If you have a running machine you might be able to do this. Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Computers

My son tried that in two of his computers, he said it would not recognize my HD.

Thanks for the advice however.

Hopefully, somehow it will work out, but for now I have to assume the worst.

John S.

Replying to:

Thats steep, Im not a big comp buff but I had a similar problem this summer. I took itto a friend of mine and herecovered everyhting for a case of bass ale. I will explain a little maybe you know someone who can help you for less. If your hard drive crashed alot of times its usually the operating software Ie windows whatever. the info "financial records and stuff" is still there the problem is you cant read it cause operating software is messed up. My friend put my hard drive in his computer "that works" and was able to extract 90% of my stuff because his operating software was working. If you have a running machine you might be able to do this. Good luck.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Computers

I agree 100% Craig, we found all kinds of companies that do it, but they were right here in town. My so found one outfit in Texas that will diagnose it for free. not sutre what the charge was to recover it if it were possible.

Whatever it is, it is, most important is that I can get it all back somehow, of course you have to draw then line as they have you over a barrel so to speak.

My temp e mail isn't working 100% but I am able to get mail now on another computer, but seems to have a few issues sending mail, ugh.

Thanks for the advice,

John

Replying to:

I think I'd find a new computer company... $700 to tell you they couldn't recover anything??? Definitely a scam. My in-laws had theirs recovered once and it was even cheaper than that.
Good luck either way.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Computers

John: not all of these so-called data recovery experts are the same. We found a good outfit through our Microsoft consultants and they were able to recover all the information off a critical hard drive that failed on our server. (Like you we found no shortage of so-called experts who could not do squat). My partner at work is the guru in this area and if you need a referral let me know (e-mail above, work # is (845) 651-4141.

Eric