Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MMSI

Would someone exlain to this group what group MMSI is and why should we get a # ?
Cal

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Has anyonoe ever put any thought into getting a group MMSI number for the Fish Lake Winni posters? Or posting a list of our MMSI numbers as was done with the radio handle list a few years back?

Re: Re: MMSI

Cal I'm new to the whole MMSI thing as I just got a new VHF(DSC) radio. I went onto the website that Erbyjoe provided us with in an earlier post that explained everything pretty good. here is the web address in case you missed it.
http://www.BoatUS.com/MMSI
There is a web tutorial on DSC radios
Link

Re: Re: Re: MMSI

This MMSI # is a number that is asigned to just your boat.When you apply for a # you have to tell them what type of boat,motor,color and other key info then you have to install it in your radio and if you have a GPS system there are 2 wires that your to hook up(RX/TX lines).If you are in trouble you push the DSC button it send a signal to the coastguard and if you are hooked up to the GPS they can pinpoint your location is seconds and if no GPS they have a signal they can track down and the have all the info of your boat and so on it's a great feature for people that go ocean and inland seas.From what I have read if you and you buddy both have the DSC system hooked up to the GPS you can call each other on channel 70 and I think(I may be wrong about this,I will try to verify this this week)You will be able to see where he is on your GPS screen.It's still very new to alot of people(like me)I'm going to reserch it this winter I will post things I learn from time to time.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: MMSI

I did some more reading on this and I think I was wrong about being able to see your buddys boat if you call each other on channel 70 But if you do activate the DSC button any one with a DSC radio hooked up to a GPS will recive your signal so some one can get to you if they are close by to help in an emergence.I'm still recerching it but this is what I found out so far.

Erin