Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together

I like this site and hope everyone will give thier opinions on this. There are around 80 people on the radio list so hopefully we'll get a lot of responses.
OK what would you say if the state were to close every lake that has any salmon or lake trout in it to ice fishing all together? This way they salmon and lake trout could really thrive over the winter with no pressure at all. There are plenty of ponds and lakes that we can take our children to fish for, so if you do reply please don't use that for a reason not to close them. Lets think solely about the wefare of the fish and not the economic impact it would have on the revenue to the state. By now you all know how I feel, like me or hate me please part take in my poll and if you do please say what you as a person feels not what you think others would want you to say.
Thanks and good fishing

Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together

Honestly, it would never work, not that I would give it a thumbs up. To much $$$$$$ tied up in the economy to shut it down. More importantly I think you would have to factor in the health of the lake in terms of smelt. Without the fish coming out of there, how much impact would the smelt population be able to absorb. They are the key to the lakes success and I believe the stocking program is geared around them.

Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together

what about the trout ponds that don't allow icefishing now How are they surviving? not being sarcastic just asking

I think you went a little overboard here Forry, I didn't see anyone say ban ice fishing in all lakes, perhaps certain areas on some Lakes was all I suggested way back on the same topic.

I doubt you will get any takers on this off the wall question, not even sure why I responded ????

John S.
Who's not an ice fieherman, but respects the likes of others"

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I like this site and hope everyone will give thier opinions on this. There are around 80 people on the radio list so hopefully we'll get a lot of responses.
OK what would you say if the state were to close every lake that has any salmon or lake trout in it to ice fishing all together? This way they salmon and lake trout could really thrive over the winter with no pressure at all. There are plenty of ponds and lakes that we can take our children to fish for, so if you do reply please don't use that for a reason not to close them. Lets think solely about the wefare of the fish and not the economic impact it would have on the revenue to the state. By now you all know how I feel, like me or hate me please part take in my poll and if you do please say what you as a person feels not what you think others would want you to say.
Thanks and good fishing

there are reasons lakes are open to ice fishing and they arent necesarily for monetary gains. please come to sebago and catch your limit of lakers if the ice is good this year. i want to see that smelt population really boom, and there is just too many lakers there. the only time i seem to catch a salmon thru the ice is when fishing for brown trout, for some reason they stocked conway lake with some salmon years back (dont know if they still do) and salmon would hit. would be the same anywhere there is browns and salmon together. if there was no ice fishing, fish and game wouldnt be visiting me on ski mobiles, four wheelers, helicopters, and spotting me with planes. they got some good gear, now that must be good for the economy. the guy in the helicopter must have sat there for hours before i got a hit from behind a row of trees up on conway

I Ice fish every year if the ice conditions allow me too. Banning it Would never work. I catch and release about 98% of the fish I catch UNLESS its a trophy this is all season long from January to December. I do understand the fact that some ice fisherman are complete trash and keep anything and everything they bring thru the hole but a good amount of people I have met year after year do the same as myself. Try to catch a trophy. Plus I think populations of fish in winni are doing very well from what I have read. I also agree with Mr sampsons reply.

Charlies charters

Hey Charlie,

I object to that, I'm John Sampson or John S., no friend of me can call me Mr.Sampson, LOL.

John S.
"Who's caught two tagged Rainbows (while trolling) big enought to take home the big banana" So maybe we should not allow Rainbows to be taken by trolling and leave them all for the Ice Derby, LOL ??? Bottom line, the Fish and Game is doing a good job, let's leave it alone.

Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together

I agree with John S.I'm not sure what your looking for here.

Erin

LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT YOU WANT ME NOT TO ICE FISH SO YOU CAN CATCH MORE FISH IN YOUR BOAT ARE YOU SURE YOUR NOT ONE OF THEM BASS FISHERMEN THAT ONLY CARE ABOUT THEMSELVES LIKE YOU SAID IN THE POST ABOVE!!!! HOW MANY SALMON DO YOU THINK YOU KILL IN THE SUMMER WITH ALL THE "CHEATER LINES" MOST PEOPLE ARE USING NOW A DAYS. SOME STUPID PEOPLE EVEN GO TO THE TACKLE SHOPS AND WANT TO BUY "CHEATER LINES" OR TRY TO HAVE THEM MADE THEIR AND ARE TOLD THEY ARE ILLEGLE AND THEY ARE SHOCKED SAYING I WAS ON MY FRIENDS BOAT AND WE WERE CATCHING ALL THE FISH ON THEM.WHEN YOU HERE ABOUT BIG # DAYS IT KINDA MAKES YOU WONDER HOW MANY WERE LEGAL. I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY TIMES I'VE SEEN BOATS IN WINNI AND WINNISQUAM WITH 1 PERSON ON BOARD AND 4 LINES OFF THE BACK NOW ADD 4 CHEATERS TO THOSE LINES AND NOW YOU HAVE A 20 FISH DAY ALL BUY YOURSELF WOW WHAT FUN !!!!! YOU GUYS KNOW WHO YOU ARE !!!!!!THESE PEOPLE ARE THE ONES THAT WILL RUIN THE SALMON FISHERIES NOT THE FROZEN GUY ON A BUCKET THAT ACCIDENTLY CAUGHT A SALMON WHILE JIGGING A CAST MASTER WITH SUCKER ON IT ON BOTTOM!!!!!!!#$%@%^&*&%^$%#$$^&^&%&

AMEN Laker Taker.

Amen is correct. let me tell you I was being sarcastic when I asked about closing the lakes to all ice fishing. I love to fish all the seasons and hate when one special or certain type of fisherman trashes another. I'm just think that we all soft and hard water fisherman pay the same for the fish that go in the waters, why is it only the soft water angler gets to keep the salmon? I find it unfair. therefore I side with Laker taker and Fish 'N Fun II

LETS RESPOND TO THIS POLL, I VEIW THIS MESSAGE BOARD EVERYDAY! AND I RESPOND VERY VERY LITTLE,THERE IS ALOT OF GOOD INFO HERE BUT THIS POLL?????. MY RESPONSE IS, IT SOUNDS LIKE FORRY WANTS TO FISH IN THE NH F&G HATCHERY, NOT THE LAKE. SORRY TO BE SO BLUNT BUT YOU ASKED. I WILL STOP THERE, ENOUGH SAID.

FISHEAD!!!

according to some people that is what ice fishing is "fishing in the hatchery" I suppose you can't keep your two tip-ups in the water because the salmon are having a field day, give be a break. sounds to me like you don't ice fish.

Hey Forry,

This aint goin nowhere good, let's drop it before the whole message board is arguing over something stupid.

John S.
(a friend of Forry's)

Replying to:

according to some people that is what ice fishing is "fishing in the hatchery" I suppose you can't keep your two tip-ups in the water because the salmon are having a field day, give be a break. sounds to me like you don't ice fish.

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together

come on we're just having a little fun, you can't tell me everybodies that thinned skinnen we're just having a little debate it's fun passes the time.

LIKE I SAID, ENOUGH SAID!!!.

FISHEAD
HARDCORE AND (EDUCATED).

i agree with you john s. sound like were beating a wet dog here .

we only had seven people respond come on fellow anglers what are your opinions. don't worry about hurting my feelings,if you disagree with me, I'd like to know and if you do agree with me I definately want to know. I'm a big boy I can take it.hopefully the others can too.

This post should be dropped.It's not doing anything but starting issues.Lets move on.

Erin

OK here's my two cents I have read all the posts so far. Fish and Game won't ban Ice Fishing, nor do I wish to see ice fishing banned. I'm new to ice fishing. I've been doing it for about 3 years and I suck at it. I couldn't catch a cold. I do see people taking all kinds of fish through the ice maybe keeping some fish that they shouldn't. I see some guys riding around on their quads checking way more that just two tip ups then pulling up somewhere and jigging as well. I don't see them Catching squat either.

During the summer Many a day goes by where I'm frustrated as all hell because some bag of douche goes trolling by me with two downriggers stacked, nice. Here I am obeying the law, using two lines, and getting skunked and some jackass is using four rods at a minumun. You never know he might have a few of those fancy Roemer liberators on those lines.

I have even gotten into arguments with people in my own boatabout keeping fish that they shouldn't. I just don't see the point in keeping a 16 inch salmon...even though it is legal.....let alone trying to stretch a 14 1/2 inch salmon. c'mon let the little guy go, let him grow catch him again them put him in the frying pan.

Bottom line is this, the survival of the Fishery depends on us as individuals do the right thing. The NH Fish and Game department tells us what that right thing is. We should all learn how to handle fish properly, which unfortunately includes stopping the use of sunfish as a baseball, (kidding). Handling these fish properly and respecting the rules given to use by Fish and Game will provide better fishing for all of us for many more decades to come. As responsible fishermen and women it is our duty to correct the actions of those who abuse OUR FISHERY.

So to the point, Forry no I would not ban ice fishing...I would ban the knuckleheads who ruin it for the rest of us.

P.S how the hell do you guys catch anything throught the ice?!! I'm stuck lol

Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

Hey link here is my tip to ice fishing

Location first and plenty of time. Come visit me on the ice I have a comfortable ice fishing house I put out each year if the ice allows it.I will show you my way of catching fish thru the ice. Dont forget the bucket of luck that is the best tool!!!

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

I agree with Charlie...location is key. You can also join us and try your luck for some great white perch fishing. Action can be fast and a great battle when you hook into a 2 plus pounder. Trav and some of his buddies are pretty good at the lake trout as well.
Ice fishing beats sitting on the couch and it is amazing how comfortable those buckets are(:

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

not interested in taking part in this pol, but would like to address the post stating that he witnessess boats with one angler and 4 rods. i do not know if he has kids but I do and on occasion they go below in the cuddy while i am still trolling w/ their rods out. when a fish is on their up to reel them in!

sometimes things are not what they appear to be. maybe i should pull my kids lines in when they go below? don't want anyone jumping to conclusions!!!! FIGURED I WOULD JUST THROUGH THAT OUT THERE %#*&%*$#*@!#

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

I lucas I hear you on that on little kids are hard to see and so are the pee breaks (thank God). It is just something that I see all too often out in the broads very early in the morning. Call me crazy but what they are doing is using the extra rods to take a peak at 4 or more different depths to find the salmon....just a thought.... You start to see the same boats all morning and follow eachother around out there in the broads, so you know who is fishing by themselves or with others in their boats. Wow wouldn't that be nice put out 8 lines with a 5' depth difference for the first half hour or so? Man that would take some guess work out of it.....ah the dreams of someone who spent his last day this season getting skunked!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

Bring on the ice and let's go fishin...Forry this is to you I'm biting my tongue so hard it hurts.But I do agree that the cheaters will always be cheaters and laker taker we had this discussion also,it's been going on for years now we just have more of it.. Ilucas as for the kids taking a break on the boat when Ice fishing you have to be in constant view of you tip ups don't know if the same goes for fods in a holder on the boat.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

I will say a couple of things then I will not post on this subject again because as I said be fore LETS MOVE ON!!There will always be fishermen that will do anything to catch fish even if that means running more gear than they are aloud useing more tip ups if they can get away with it that the way it is.Each state has laws that allow you to use so many rods per person or tip ups per person.As a license holder you have what ever right they give you if your aloud 2 rods per person and you have 3 people in that boat you can use 6 rods that's the law weather they are playing in the cuddy or on the floor in a coma they are in the boat totally legal same thing goes with tip ups if there are 5 guys on the ice you are aloud 10 tip ups.As far as being with in site of your tip ups yes that's the law you have to be in the area of your tip ups weather you in a bob house or on the ice there is no differences.If you had kids you would understand they can't sit there and watch the rods for 12 hr's a day or sit on a bucket watching flags like us,you have to keep them busy,Ilucas is a lucky man to have the chance to take his kids on the lake to spend Quality time with them.Ilucas I wouldn't change a thing.There is always going to be issues between hard water fishermen and soft water fishermen but what it should come down to is if you love to fish it shouldn't make any difference how you fish as long as you enjoy what you do and abide by the law.It might be fun to get people going about a subject that is touchy.But 99% of the fishermen on this site love the sport and are willing to bend over backwards to answer questions.If they want a serious response to there questions they should give them the common courteous back.It's going to be along winter.this post is not ment to slam any one I think we should let it go and enjoys the holidays with family and friends and talk about other things.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

Bethany, why are you biting your tongue,that's got to hurt LOL say what you mean. Please let me make everybody Understand and if you look back at ANY of my post I have not acused anybody,anybody at all of breaking the law in anyway. all I was doing is trying to have inteligent conversations with my fellow anglers. I value everyones opinions, I may not agree with some of them and they may not sgree with me nor do I want them to. If you like things totally the way they are,then do nothing. I personally don't agree with the Status Quo that's all. How else can we change things if we don't let people know (and I do believe the proper people are reading these posts) But I have never acused anyone of breaking the law and you can believe me or not, I may not agree with the laws the way they are, but I do not violate them.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

I'm not going to respond to this poll as i do both Soft/Hard water fishing and love them both as they are. Last season for me was the best season i have had fishing since my Dear old Grandfather passed on to the Ultimate Fishing Grounds. I know he was watching over me and smiling at the blast i had last season. All i can say is that all the different boats i went on last season (Thanks To All of You Again, Like the millonth time Ive thanked all of you but you deserve it) not once did i see someone use a cheater line Believe me or not but every single boat i went on used only the amount of rods that were allowed by our state laws. I've heard alot about cheater's and know some people up in my area that use them all the time, but as far as all the boats i went on last season not one single person used them!!!!!!!!!! May all of you and your families have a very Happy Holidays!!!!!!!!! Salty and Cool Water come hell or high water i will def. make it out with the 2 of you next season You can Count on it LOL Take Care God Bless and Hurry up 4/1/07 LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

I ice fish as much as I can and use to fish for rainbows but we usually end up catching a couple of salmon instead because their in the same area as the rainbows now I set up for lakers jigging or tip ups on the bottom . just have to target the right species and maybe every now and then catch something other than lakers . if you don't want to catch salmon go to newfound or winnisqaum instead of winni during the winter. all the lakers you want. just my 2 cents. "reel it in "

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

Dave, I was thinking that too... I was on several boats and spoke to many others. I never saw a cheater being used on a boat I was on... AND I did not get the impression anyone I spoke with was using them. To hear these guys saying there's many guys out there using cheaters and/or extra rods surprises me. Especially after the posts we had mid-summer defining the fact that cheaters were/are illegal.
The question that comes to mind... If you're trolling alongside someone for several hours that you know is using too many rods... why haven't you called F&G to report it? Either it isn't really happening as you say it is... you don't care enough to report it... or what??? If they were caught and fined, I'd think they'd stop doing it anymore. Right?
Forry... one post you're saying this whole thing about discontinuing ice-fishing is a joke... the next you say its all intelligent conversation... WHICH IS IT? Myself... I think its a joke. You must have cabin fever or something? Sheesh... go fishing or something.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

I agree with slipnot maybe people should report them that way the"ll lose the gear that their cheating with. people have to cheat in fishing unbelieveable . "reel it in "

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

good post Slipnot, you hit it all right on. maybe the fisherman who witnessess all this stuff on winnasquam and winni can elaborate, he sees it all the time.
i do not think that it is happening to the extent that some are stating. i know last year there was a post on how to rig a "cheater line" and some were saying that you could use it if you were using 1 rod (1 rod =2 lines).

i was on the lake with my daughter fishing and tried it (2 lines w/ a 6' sliding leader one each = a total of 4 line 2 people). I posted that i caught a fish on the "cheater line" that was discussed earlier in the week. i thought it was okay to fish that way otherwise i would not have done it never mind post it on this site.

Bethany informed me that i could not fish with a "cheater" even if we were using just 1 rod apiece. It bothered me to the point that i called fish and game myself and told them the whole story. They did not seem concerned knowing that i did not intentionaly "cheat" but they did say that set up is not legal.

Personaly I have not witnessed any of the stuff some are saying but I am not looking for it or thinking about it. just having a good time fishing.

ilucas

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all togeth

Well it's about time. I was getting exasperated just reading the posts. Forry got what he wanted, something to read whether it was good or bad. You don't want to fish hard water, go south. Isn't it a shame that we all see this stuff going on and don't have the balls to call a game warden or take a photo or pull up and ask? I know that sometimes you might get yelled at but that's why we all have cell phones and most fishermen have cameras. Being part of the outdoors is why we are out there, yes we are trying to have something to show for it but those who break the law are hurting us who don't. A person who breaks the law is a thief and is robbing you of your next outing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all to

Last year (2005) I saw a guy (actually 2 guys) on Squam, after fishing fishing season had closed a week or so, fishing with downriggers in Sandwich by Kent Island. Actually I saw him more than the one time.

Guess I should have turned him in, but that's not really my nature, didn't know him either, but maybe he was trolling for Bass ?? I'm sure that's what he would tell the game warden.

I hate to see someone get nailed for stupid stuff like that, if he got caught OK, but I'm not about to turn him in. Guess it's because I lost my "right" to fish for a year once in Mass. I was out before the season opened, ice was open and I was casting with a casting plug, rubber plug, no hook, just trying out a new rod and reel. Peckerhead had my right to have a license a year. Allways been paranoid about the rules since then, hate to see someine else get screwed that way.

I know guys that take Salmon in the winter too, if they get lucky to catch one, they are not really fisherman, just social drinkers I guess you'd call them.

I know we should police ourselves, but that's what game wardens are for...

John S.
"Who still thinks he got screwed by a Mass game warden"

Replying to:

Well it's about time. I was getting exasperated just reading the posts. Forry got what he wanted, something to read whether it was good or bad. You don't want to fish hard water, go south. Isn't it a shame that we all see this stuff going on and don't have the balls to call a game warden or take a photo or pull up and ask? I know that sometimes you might get yelled at but that's why we all have cell phones and most fishermen have cameras. Being part of the outdoors is why we are out there, yes we are trying to have something to show for it but those who break the law are hurting us who don't. A person who breaks the law is a thief and is robbing you of your next outing.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing al

you where casting a casting plus like they have on kids poles????????? and they took your license away?????? Why didn't you fight that one in court? You could have made the guy look like i fool i think?? That's one of the weirdest stories of losing a license i think i have ever heard LOL Take Care God Bless and Dam Hurry up 4/1/07 i keep having visions of King Salmons dancing in my Head UGHHHHHHHhhh LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishin

Yep, one of them triangular shaped rubber plugs, a little heavier than the kid toys.

Probably could have fought it and won, but I was a young kid then with 3 little ones at home and on a tight budget. I did take the kids fishing all year and they caught allot of stocked trout in the rivers, etc. while I helped them.

Oh, well that was along time ago.

John S.

Replying to:

you where casting a casting plus like they have on kids poles????????? and they took your license away?????? Why didn't you fight that one in court? You could have made the guy look like i fool i think?? That's one of the weirdest stories of losing a license i think i have ever heard LOL Take Care God Bless and Dam Hurry up 4/1/07 i keep having visions of King Salmons dancing in my Head UGHHHHHHHhhh LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all togeth

Here in New England the cheater line/lure is aginst the law you are alowed 3 hook points per lure. and only 1 lure per line single or treble.They use the cheaters out in the great lakes and so the law is writen as your aloud so many hook points per line like a single hook lure is one hook point so you could run 3 single hook lure and only be using 3 hook points I think alot of people think that its a legal set up in any state but you have to read the states book of laws to see what they conceder legal.They are used all the time in the great lakes I belive in some of the great lake you can run 3 rods per person and up to 15 hook points per line. In my years fishing the great lakes and New England I can't say I have seen this style of fishing used in New Hampshire or Maine.Any Game warden would have a field day with any out of stater or local fishermen doing this.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all togeth

Ilucas:

I did the same thing, rig / use a "cheater" on a single pole with it intended to be my second line when one of my downriggers got fouled up and I could only use one rigger. Like Ilucas, I (ignorantly) though it was OK but that it counted as a second line. After it was clarified here on the board (a good thing), and I verified this up in ME as well, I had the same reaction as Mike (i.e., I felt like a shmuck) and I never did it again. From the posts of the people who visit the board, I don't think anyone is of the mindset that they would knowingly "cheat." So if Forry et al you see someone clearly breaking the law, do something about it, otherwise please don't complain about it on the board.

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all togeth

Eric againI never accused anyone of breaking the law or for that matter seen anyone breaking the law. I don't know who Ilucas is talking about saying the have seen people breaking the law but believe me it's not me and I hope that Ilucas will back up what I am saying it is not me who he is talking about.
good fishing
Forry

Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all togeth

what exactly did they say in maine as i was going to ask them this winter at one of the shows. they sell the cheaters at kittery, and the concensus there is that you can use the second cheater line in maine if only using one rod, which in effect counts as two lines

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

Slipknot I never said I wanted to stop ice icefishing I said I was taking a poll since most of the people on this site don't want Us to catch salmon in the winter. I was being sacastic yes because I don't think it would hurt To take a salmon or two through the ice, the same as you do in the summer. but the question was mean on a seriuos note. Why can't we dicuss these topics on a educated level you have a right to your opinion and I respect it please respect mine. One question maybe this will be concidered stupid as well but maybe just maybe I'll get some inteligent thoughts Pros/cons on it. Why don't they have a quota on landlocked salmon the same way they do on the Atlantic salmon which I think is ten reguardless of weather or not caught through the ice or on a boat? Just a thought. and again please make it clear, it has not been me that has accused anyone of doing anything illegal so please don't associate me with those who have. good fishing
Forry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all together,

i am not accusing any one of anything, my post on this matter was in reggaurds to lake taker saying that he has seen people on winni and winiasquam trolling around with 4 rods with just one person in the boat. i stated that things are not always what they appear because my 2 kids are in the cuddy sometimes while their rods are still in the holders.

Eric,
thanks for helping out on the ignorant use of a cheater line, (you must have learned about them when i did)it was a lousy feeling finding out that what i did was not legal.

I have not been salmon fishing very long and this site and the people on it have educated me in a year and a half what it would take me a bout 15 years to learn on my own. i have spent many hours on the lake catching fish with my 2 kids. memories that will last for ever. the people on this site from the charter captians, to the newbie that tries something different once have all taught me. for that i am very gratefull and glad we have this site.

this thread has brought out alot of name calling and assumptions.

ilucas

Forry, I did not mean to incinuate that it was you saying people were "cheating"... I was saying that in reply to comments I saw in this thread.

Now as far as this "educated" conversation you are looking for... How can I (or anyone not schooled in fisheries management) truly have an "educated" conversation about this. Its only going to be opinions you're getting.
My "uneducated" opinion is that we should leave the management of our lakes to those that know the ratios and pressures our water-bodies can handle. NH F&G spends many man hours each year trying to balance the fishery in a way that it is somewhat sustainable. I trust their knowledge enough to not question why they set the season the way they do.
Thinking that they are going to open the salmon season for ice fishing just because a bunch of fisherman want to catch salmon through the ice is like thinking the state will raise the speed limit to 80 just because a bunch of people want to drive faster.
Yes, it could happen and maybe for a while the salmon would survive... but in time the salmon numbers will deplete... or perhaps the state stocks enough salmon to last through ice fishing as well, but now with the increase in salmon numbers the forage fish (smelt/perch) die off. If the latter happened, not only would there be no salmon, there'd be no SPORT-FISH period.
But, like I said... this is an uneducated opinion... I'm a carpenter, not a biologist.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing all to

Slipknot,
I also am not a biologist. I am just and electrician.
You say in your last post that we would only get opinions and not educated ones since we are not biologists. Did you just graduate with a degree in biology in the middle of your last post because you did state and I take these words as you just quoted

"Yes, it could happen and maybe for a while the salmon would survive... but in time the salmon numbers will deplete... or perhaps the state stocks enough salmon to last through ice fishing as well, but now with the increase in salmon numbers the forage fish (smelt/perch) die off. If the latter happened, not only would there be no salmon, there'd be no SPORT-FISH period."

Now do you know that to be fact? Is that a carpenters opinion or a biologist speaking the facts? and if your opinion, why is your opinion right and mine wrong? hopefully the True biologist will read this and give us answers to all the questions that have been brought up on this post and any others on this site. That is what this site is about "at least I think it is" I'm not writing these post to make enemies, I'd like to think we could and are friends. just having conversation.
Good Fishing
Forry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishing al

Slipknot let me apolagize. i guess I didn't finish reading your post. after reading it again I saw that at the end you did in fact say again that that was only your opinion. I'm Sorry
Forry

Hmmm... you seem to understand that part of my post, but somehow you miss the two times I stated it was MY OPINION. Never in there did I state it to be FACT nor did I say your opinions were wrong, did I. Frankly, I don't care what your opinion is. You're entitled to any opinion you want. Whole reason for my post... and read this s-l-o-w-l-y so you can understand... was to say that unless you talk to someone that is "EDUCATED" (you know, with like a degree from an actual college) in fisheries management you will get nothing but opinions and/or garbled half-truths. If you truly were looking for answers to your questions you'd contact the fisheries department via the email address I provided you with in an earlier post.

Oh... and to make sure we're straight on your last comment of not wanting to be enemies, hoping we could be or are friends... not sure about others, but for me thats a no. Thanks anyways.
Good Fishing
Craig

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fishin

I'm sorry you feel that way. evidently you didn't accept my apology, and that's your choice. At least I was man enough to say I was sorry. I don't know what else I can do. Just remember it was not me that said your post was a joke, when I ask about closing ice fishing on lake trout/salmon lakes. It was not a joke it was a question that's all. I guess since I never had you as a friend before this site and survived the last 49 years, I probably will make it through the rest of my life if you choose not to be a friend. In my opinion it is your loss not mine.
again I'm sorry you feel that way.
good fishing
Forry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ice fi

I can bring a Cage to the gathering this year... my god!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I'm taking a poll on stopping ic

Travis
Good luck with your match in march. take it to him.
Forry