Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Lead core reels

Penn 209 .. holds 10 colors with backing.

Re: Re: Lead core reels

Brown boat thanks what is the gear ratio do you know?

Erin

the high ratio reel i like is Shimano Speedmaster

150yds 30lb flyline backing and 10 colors 18 lb lead.

reel is about $120 and big, but drag is good.

OUCH I was hoping is wasn't that much I guess I will have to look for something a little cheaper maybe next year $$ tight this year I just finished rigging the new boat I will be shot if I press my luck with my lovely bride.Thanks for the reply I would love to find atleast a 5 to 1 ratio not sure if they make something that will hold all that line and be with in my budget.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Lead core reels

I def. Hear ya when it comes to finances LOL Have you checked out A.J.'s bait and tackle? I picked up a leadcore combo from his store last year and compared to what i used to have I Loved It, great action, drag worked alot better then the old walmart penn reel i had and the price was def. right!!!!!!!! Just a thought!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless and Hurry up 4/1/07 LOL Dave From up North P.S. it also came with backing, 10 colors of 18# and 75' of mono

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lead core reels

Thanks Dave I'll look.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lead core reels

Ditto on AJs for low cost options. As another idea, I bought a set of 4 Cabelas "Depthmaster Gold" level-wind leadcore reels when they were on sale a couple winters ago. They work well and have a nice drag system that (supposedly) can be maintained, though I have not done anything other than store them indoors when not in use.

i fish mainly with old penns, i find them cheaply on ebay and look for reels that are new in the box. these reels were work horses. i like the smaller sizes for landlocks and only put 3 colors of lead on the reel over backing. if i need to go deeper i set up the 3 colors on the down rigger or just count out th backing. either way works well and i havent found the need for a fast reel with this method. fighting salmon with 3 colors of lead is enough, with 10 colors out there, the battle isnt much fun.

Hey Erin,
I use an AbuGarcia Ambassadeur C4 The big one 6601C4.
The gear ratio is 6.3:1. I do not use the 18# however. I use th 15# non-lead. I started using that line when the lead weights started getting banned. I just figuerd the leadcore line was next so why not learn how it works now... anyway back to the original question. This reel will hold all ten colors with I don't know how much 20# braided backing, but barely. I love using this in the spring when I only let out 3-5 colors. I usually catch more off my lead rig than my riggers early. However, as the depths get deeper and the more colors go out the high gear ration does not seem to want to pull in all that weight. 7-8 colors just becomes a chore to reel in to change lures or go home. It still handles the fish just fine but I think I want to pursue a reel with a 5. something gear ratio.
Link

I also use Penn reels. Have had no problems with them. May be because I don't catch many fish!!!!!!!!

Re: Re: Re: Lead core reels

Thanks for all the replys.they were a big help.

Erin