Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hey Salmo, Fishead: another dumb question on gear oil

Guys -- I've never changed the gear oil myself, though I know from the thread on this in the fall its supposedly pretty simple. My dumb question is in regard to the fact I've never handled / worked with 80W oils. Can it still be drained easily or at least pumped with a hand-held siphon pump? I don't want to crack open the case and find out I'm woefully unprepared. Thanks again.

Eric H.

Re: Hey Salmo, Fishead: another dumb question on gear oil

HONDA AND ALL JAPENESE MOTORS HAVE A METRIC TREAD ON THEIR FILL AND DRAIN SCREWS, IF YOU BUY THE HONDA HAND PUMP IT COMES WITH THE METRIC FITTING, IF YOU HAVE A GENERIC HAND PUMP AND IT'S A U.S. THREAD YOU CAN BUY A METRIC ADAPTER FOR ONLY A FEW DOLLARS.
YOU MUST FILL THE GEARCASE FROM THE BOTTOM HOLE TILL IT FLOWS OUT THE TOP HOLE TO PUSH OUT ANY AIR IN THE SYSTEM, IF YOU FILL IT FROM THE TOP THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE TO HAVE AIR TRAPPED IN THE GEARCASE. THE OIL IS THICK AND WILL TAKE A WHILE TO COMPLETLY DRAIN, THE HAND PUMP WILL WORK FINE ON 80/90W GEAR OIL, JUST PUMP IT IN SLOW.
REMEMBER THESE IS NO STUPID QUESTIONS WHEN IT COMES TO ENGINES ON A BOAT. ANY TIME I CAN HELP, I WILL BE GLAD TO.

FISHEAD
YOU CAN'T CATCH THEM SITTING ON THE COUCH!!!!

Re: Re: Hey Salmo, Fishead: another dumb question on gear oil

Thank you Fishead!!! and thank heavens I asked...I would have assumed drain from the bottom, fill from the top, boy would I have screwed this up. Actually my hand pump has no fitting, just a tube. I'll need to research this more carefully. Any recommendation as to where to get the "official" Honda hand pump?

Eric H.

Re: Re: Re: Hey Salmo, Fishead: another dumb question on gear oil

ANY HONDA OUTBOARD DEALER SHOULD HAVE THE PUMP KIT, I THINK IT IS UNDER $10.00. EACH MOTOR BRAND HAS THEIR OWN PUMP TO FIT THEIR QUART BOTTLE, THE PUMP THREADS ON TO THE QUART BOTTLES WITH VERY LITTLE MESS.
THE PUMP SHOULD LAST FOR MANY YEARS AND IS WORTH BUYING THE HONDA BRAND JUST TO KEEP THINGS EASY.
I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOUR LOCATED TO HELP ADVISE YOU TO GO GET THESE ITEMS, BUT THE HONDA/YAMAHA DEALERSHIP I WORK FOR IS LACATED ON THE MASS/NH LINE ON THE SEACOAST.

FISHEAD
NORTHEASTERN LUNKERS & TOP DOG BASS CLUBS!!!!
LIVE TO FISH.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hey Salmo, Fishead: another dumb question on gear oil

Fishead - Thanks again. I'm down in NY and my dealer went out of business and there are very few dealer options around here. Sounds like a worthwhile investment. I may touch base with your shop to order it and have it shipped if I can find it locally. Could you send me your dealer contact info to me by e-mail? Thanks again.