Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Man's Best Friend

Abe is trained to hunt fish, points fish, points screaming reels, points flags while ice fishing, and has caught a 2 pound bass off the dock by himself. we take the dad out in the boat too.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
my last dog, a german shepard liked the boat, but wasnt into the fish like this dog.

Re: Re: Man's Best Friend

Love it, great picture...hope mine is able to do that, all she points now are moths and insects, LOL.

Re: Re: Re: Man's Best Friend

the brittanys take it to heart when you get skunked as well, or was he just ashamed. i seen down below that you picked one up, wait til the frogs are out to really introduce them to water as they can learn to hate it if you force them to early in the spring

Re: Re: Re: Re: Man's Best Friend

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
got the pic

I just lost my furry girl just before thanksgiving, but yeah I took her out a bunch of times and she was great company. 12 1/2 yearn old female black lab. What a sweetheart. And smart. If I was struggling to boat a fish she'd go all the way forward to stay out of my way and only come back down when I'd taken care of business.

How's everybody doing with your heart breaking loss ?

Any new pup on the way ? Winter's a tough time to break in a pup. Try a Chocolate Lab, a little more hyper than Blacks, however they do mello out around 8 or 9.

As I write this Pepper, Black Lab daughter of my Bart is laying at my feet. She comes out on the boat with me sometimes if I'm fishing alone.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I just lost my furry girl just before thanksgiving, but yeah I took her out a bunch of times and she was great company. 12 1/2 yearn old female black lab. What a sweetheart. And smart. If I was struggling to boat a fish she'd go all the way forward to stay out of my way and only come back down when I'd taken care of business.

Used to but it was short lived. Every time the lure hit the water so did he! Spent more time trying to get him back in the boat than it was worth.

John S:

We're still pretty down, but thanks for asking. I was starting to do better than had a couple of hard days last weekend...was mailing Christmas cards with a picture of Bonnie with the kids and I had a hard time. My 9 year old daughter Stephanie, who at first did not cry at all, appears to have just started to really deal with it. She's been very upset the last few days. Whether its winter, low light or whatever, it just seems to have taken time to sunk in with her. I personally could use a another dog, (NOW!), I miss the unconditional affection way too much. But you're right, winter is a hard time to break in a new puppy. And we want a puppy so it bonds to us (the critical period of socialization according to the dog experts is the first 11 weeks). If I didn't have young kids I'd consider adopting a lab. We've started to talk about it, but its still raw and have not made any plans. -Eric

Proline great story I got a good visual LOL.
Eric,
it will get easer down the road my daughter was 3 when we lost my buddy but she still remembers him I still miss him to this day.But just remember all the joy she gave to you and your family and smile that is what she would want you to do.I got my daughter a new puppy 2 years ago and he is 110 lbs yellow lab and I'm glad he is not like Prolines pup I don't think I could get him back on the boat if I was in open water.but he loves the boat but all he wants to do is EAT all the fish we catch.It's pretty funny to watch him.

Erin

The Holidays will help keep the kids occupied, maybe put a photo of what your thinking of getting in a present, tell them in the Spring we will get a puppy.
Just a thought if your thinking along those lines.

Then you have not only ice out to look forward to, but your new fishing buddy.

I would never get anything but a puppy, allthough we did take in a few mature dogs over the years and they were great, but nothing like when you raise em like a kid, they are great dogs..

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John S:

We're still pretty down, but thanks for asking. I was starting to do better than had a couple of hard days last weekend...was mailing Christmas cards with a picture of Bonnie with the kids and I had a hard time. My 9 year old daughter Stephanie, who at first did not cry at all, appears to have just started to really deal with it. She's been very upset the last few days. Whether its winter, low light or whatever, it just seems to have taken time to sunk in with her. I personally could use a another dog, (NOW!), I miss the unconditional affection way too much. But you're right, winter is a hard time to break in a new puppy. And we want a puppy so it bonds to us (the critical period of socialization according to the dog experts is the first 11 weeks). If I didn't have young kids I'd consider adopting a lab. We've started to talk about it, but its still raw and have not made any plans. -Eric

Re: Re: Re: Re: Man's Best Friend

I know of a kennel in So. NH that will be having a litter or two of Labs any day now. The ******* (I love using that word in this context) are all Master Hunters. We have a 2 YO female that our family loves and she has a great nose and loves to play fetch till the cows come home. I wish I had time to train her to hunt and then go hunting myself.
If you need the info just let me know.
Brad

Our Black lab "Jake" goes fishing with us all the time hence his AKC name "Opechee's Captain Jake". He is just one of a long line of fish dogs that we have had. We have used and English Setter, Gordon Setter, English Pionter, German shorthair a Beagle and a Hienz 57. as far as what dog works best for Salmon and Lake trout fishing belive me they all have thier strenghts. However the setters petty much hated water but that didn't stop them for perching themselfs on the motor cover or gunawale where the could fall over borad at any moment. The pointers were great fishing dogs also but they had a tendenacy to lap the slime of any fish you boated and keep and somtimes they would keep this lapping up for hours. Also if you put a fish on a stringer they would stare over the side of the boat at it for hours too. The black labs I think are perhaps the best and most trainable dogs for fishing and they were orignaly breed for fishing not hunting to begin with.
But almost any dog can be a good fishing dog size and color doesn't appear to matter that much : ) I might also add most of the above dogs were Excellant Bird dogs in the off season.

Merry Christmas

Glen

All of my Labs have gone fishing with me, ice fishing too. Gus loves to sit up on the seat and gets pi$$ed if someone else sits in his seat. My only problem is that he is a hard core duck dog and when the ducks start to fly or swim behind the boat it takes every ounce of control I have over him to keep him in the boat. He is my best friend and knows stuff about me no one lese ever will.

Just wanted to add that we take our Chocolate Lab, M&M fishing with us all the time. When a rod goes, he runs to the back of the boat and sits there waiting to see what we are bringing in. He loves it when we go to Lake Ontariol, he thinks the kings are great. I only wish that he would learn to drive so that when are reeling and netting the boat would still be headed in the right direction.
He loves to ice fish, too. Watch your bait, cause he thinks they taste yummy.
Merry Christmas
Lena