Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

This is a picture of my boat 2006 version, the compass was mounted in the bow compartment on the center line in the area of the small green rectangle.

You get the 90 degree mounting bezel with the installation kit as shown in this picture

This is a picture of my console, the autopilot control is mounted to the top right of the steering wheel on the tan rectangular plate. That is an engineering plate that covers up a 3.25” hole, had to move the RPM/time meter to the bottom right between the steering spokes, had an interference issue, also gave me a place to mount the control.
My helm was a Teleflex no feedback.

Re: Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

Correction; the control was mounted to the top left of the steering wheel

Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

The compass issue; take a hand held compass like in kids toys, hiking etc. and do a survey of the area that you want to use to mount the autopilot compass and see if there are any magnetic fields being generated or metals that would disrupt the natural magnetic field. The worst offender would be speakers and especially when they are powered. When doing the survey; power up the boat with all the electronics on and working normally.

Re: Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

Great idea on the compass check Gus. Thanks for all the info.

Hey, is your boat an Alumacraft? What is the make and model? It looks very similar to my boat / floor plan (I have an '04 Alumacraft Magnum 175 cs). Have you shaken down the autopilot after mounting the compass so far forward? My only other idea was to find a way to get below the flooring mid-ship (through a drain?) and put it on top of the gas tank. I don't have a water-tight compartment forward on my boat, the "Navigator" had that, mine has two forward storage bins which are actually one open area below the port / startboard hatches. I may have to create a tupperware "house" for the compass or something along those lines...

Re: Re: Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

My boat is 2000 Lund Tyee. I’ve check out the autopilot and it is all functional. I used the compass and simulated a turn to port and starboard and sent it a waypoints from Moosehead and Lake Ontario, so it functional. The next step is to calibrate the compass by making a slow turn on a calm sunny day. BTW, the compass calibration will take out any residual error, the survey is to minimize any gross magnetic interferences.
Check out Radio Shack or some other electronic retailer on line for a plastic electrical box.

Re: Re: Re: Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

Thanks Gus. The Lunds and Alumacraft are very similar, the floor plans are too. Good fishing boats. The "only" thing I'm missing is that water-tight compartment. An electrical box sounds like the answer. I'll need to get something sturdy / heavy duty as I store a lot of heavy stuff up forward (anchor, chain etc.).

Since you have the same steering system (Teleflex no feedback), I presume you did NOT need to replace the cable, is that correct? Was it pretty simply to thread out the cable and thread it in to the drive unit?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

Used the original cable; there is one bolt and nut on the helm near the cable entrance that secures the cable sleeve, remove it and turn the wheel and the cable comes out, pushing the helm away from the cable sleeve. The helm has to be removed from the console to accomplish the removal. It is easy; the hard part is access to get it done a third hand would come in handy.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

Gus, access I have, its pretty much wide open "inside" my console, but I don't have a third hand. I may need to grow one.

Thanks for all your great input. I am going to make the leap and buy the AP14R. I'm thinking the 14R display (vs. none of 12R) will help with calibration and learning the ropes. I would love to check out your installation if you are close by and don't mind when I come up to "the gathering." Looking forward to meeting you and some of the others on the board...I'm going stir crazy and its only December!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

I’m from southern NH, Hudson, your welcome to take a look at my installation when you come up for the Gathering, just E-mail me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: John S., Gus: Simrad Autopilot installation issues

Sounds great Gus, thanks. Hey, in southern NH at least you're close to Winni! I just got approval from my "minister of free time" (my wife) to get the AP14R. This is going to increase my enjoyment big time when fishing alone. I also just ordered a Fishlander planer mast. Next is a couple of Big J. otter boats and I'm ready for the spring.

Eric