Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Answer

Who May Operate a Vessel
A vessel powered by 25 horsepower or less does not require the operator to
have a Safe Boater Education Certificate. A “ski craft” (motorized vessel less than 13 feet long that is capable of exceeding 20 miles per hour and has the capacity to carry no more than an operator and one other person) may be operated only by persons who are 16 years old or older and who have a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate as required by the “Schedule for Required Safe Boater Education.

A vessel powered by more than 25 horsepower (other than a “ski craft”)
may be operated by: A person under 16 years of age only if he or she is accompanied by a person18 years old or older who has a valid Safe Boater Education Certificate. The accompanying person is responsible for any injury or damage caused during operation of the vessel.
A person 16 years of age or older only if he or she has obtained a Safe Boater Education Certificate as required by the “Schedule for Required Safe Boater Education

Re: Answer

Grey Ghost: the summary of the safe-boating law brings to light a flaw in my opinion, which is at the heart of the first post on this thread. If a kid under 16 can operate a vessel while accompanied by someone with a certificate, say in the case in question -- while the certificate holder fights a fish, messes with a 'rigger etc., -- whats the logic in NOT allowing an older person without a certificate to operate the boat under similar circumstances if that person is accompanied by a person with the certificate? Perhaps NH should review that last issue and revise the law accordingly. That would be a reasonable solution to this situation, say for relatives / friends or other people who are more or less "visitors" fishing on the boat of a certificate holder.

Re: Re: Answer

Pure $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Get the older guy to pay for certificate and learn how to operate a boat safely.

As a side note; if you are running the kicker motor under 20 hp, then you don’t need a certificate to take over the helm.

Also, the Marine Patrol operating policy is not to stop boaters unless there is a violation, they have not done stops for equipment checks, etc., not too many violation can be attributed to running at 2 mph.

Re: Re: Re: Answer

Gus You make a very good point.I don't know any one with a kicker bigger than 15 HP so you shouldn't have any problems as long as someone has a Cert.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Answer

Ghost -- another reason to get the autopilot. Guess I'll have to make sure I bring my 9 year old to take the helm on ocassion.