Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Planer fishing

John - not having used planers before I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps a little K-Y would help? (I don't normally keep that on board...but...) I wonder if raising the planer mast to at or near max height would help. I can see if you have the boards way out and mast height a little low that you'd end up with a real shallow angle to the water. With a real light spoon, I can see it not sliding well. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Re: Re: Re: Planer fishing

Eric,

As high as you can go is good, that's when the short rope (laynard) to bring the line in to clip on your releases would be a big help. The guys with the hard top boats get the reels up pretty high and the releases slide out along the nylon line pretty good.

It's worse when yu try to get lead core that is attached to the release to slide down the line, so it's a good idea to use in-line lead core off the boards..Have seveal set ups, with 1, 2, 3 or more colors ready to go, depending how deep ya want to have your lines. May have to re-rig when the fish go deeper.

I plan to use my boards and lead core all seson next year when ever I'm fishing 4 lines or more, normally we take the boars off late June or in July.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John - not having used planers before I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps a little K-Y would help? (I don't normally keep that on board...but...) I wonder if raising the planer mast to at or near max height would help. I can see if you have the boards way out and mast height a little low that you'd end up with a real shallow angle to the water. With a real light spoon, I can see it not sliding well. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer fishing

I can buy all the fancy releases there are out, but why should I when I beleive the following pics will show how you can make over thirty-six of these for under ten bucks. why waste money????????

shower curtain rings 32 for $3.21
clothespin with the holes the curtain ring goes in bag of 50 for $2.44
rubber latex optional to cusion the grip of the line
1 5.5 oz. tube for $1.97
total of complete releases with many extra parts (just buy more shower rings--------$7.62

any thoughts?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer fishing

you forgot to mention: satisfaction of doing it yourself, Priceless!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer fishing

John
my best fish came in august off the planer board, a little more than three colors of lead. as soon as you start seeing the smelt up on top early in the morning feeding its good to send a board out. or maybe i was just real lucky. two years in a row now the best fish on my boat came in at noon in august up near the surface

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer fishing

I like the boards and lead core, but when you are limited to 2 or 4 lines in mid-July August, it's hard to keep the riggers in.

Maybe early in the morning boards wou;ld be a good choice if your limited, but again like you say, you got the nice ones at noon ????????

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John
my best fish came in august off the planer board, a little more than three colors of lead. as soon as you start seeing the smelt up on top early in the morning feeding its good to send a board out. or maybe i was just real lucky. two years in a row now the best fish on my boat came in at noon in august up near the surface

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer fishing

Fishless -- I'm curious too. I would have thought they'd perhaps make forays up top in the early am and at dusk, but noon? Did that include your famous 7-lber? Could you elaborate on the whole scenario?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer fishing

this was the scenario. this year and last, about the second week of august, i started seeing ths smelt on the surface in the morning, big schools of smelt jumping out of the water. the 7 pounder was caught at about a little more than 3 colors on an edge that went from 13 feet down to about 70-90 feet and i was fishing along that wall. the year before the scenario was similar, fishing over a long underwater point about 20-30 feet deep with a dropoff on both sides. over the point we were fishing live bait and #72 big gold and silver suttons and just kept the bait about 10-15 feet down over the shallower point.(no more than 3 colors) only thing i can figure is that the salmon were still holding on the top edges looking for the smelt that were there earlier. the strikes were viscous, maybe coming up fast from the deeper water for the bait and moving fast to get back down in the warm top water. sebago is a slow lake to fish, so when there is action you remember it, as soon as the smelt come to the surface next august i will have something up near the top, one other thing i noticed this year was that july into the beginning of august i could point the lure 6 feet back from the ball on the riggers, but later in the year it had to go way back from the ball to get a hit.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Planer fishing

Great observations fishless. Thanks for the report.
-Eric