Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radio

Not sure where and how mine will be mounted, but I will go with the 8' antenna, not sure where I'm mounting that yet either. If I get in a real bind, maybe some day I'll pull the rig in my company shop and give a distress call and hopefully it will be heard all the way up in Hudson, NH.

I'm not 100% on the auto pilot yet, may want to see one in action first and see how and where I could put it on my boat, maybe another distress call will be needed, LOL.

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

John - I got the Uniden Oceanus, similar to the unit you got. I have not installed it yet, largely due to the mentioned challenges of soldering etc. I also got the 8-ft Shakespeare, but am wondering if I may need to compromise and get a smaller antenna that can go on top of the Bimini? I think you'll do great with that, now you just got to deal with the installation. Try to put that antenna as far as practical from your sonar's data / power cable and if you get the autopilot away from the flux compass. Mine is still in the box because I have not figured out what to do yet...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radio

Just throwing this out there... you guys keep mentioning soldering the antenna connections... I used a simple slip-on cable end that only required the tightening of a set screw to pierce the cable sheathing. It works great. Was very easy and quick to install. I talk to Winnisquam, Squam and even Newfound (once) from Winnipesaukee using an $80 Shakespeare 8' antenna. I don't think a soldered connection would do me much better? Something to consider...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radio

Slip - where'd you get these connectors? Do you have a make / part No? Its not just the soldering but the preparation of the cables prior to soldering (stripping insulation and shielding etc) thats a b*&^h. I'm not a "cable guy" so this seemingly simple thing has kept me from getting my radio on board. They say its important to only use the right amount of cable, as coiling extra cable can create interference problems. So in my case I need to cut the cable on two ends and then get connectors on. Pain in the butt for me at least. Your solution sounds like a good one.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Radio

Sounds like a good question for the Gray Ghost. I know with CB's "matching" (raising and lowering the antenna in the mount to getthe best power output)the antenna is very important for moblie units, but I have never heard of anyone "matching" a marine radio antenna ????

Leaving coiled wire can be a prpoblem in some electrical instalations, not sure about marine antennas. I would not shorten the cable length, I think it's made that exact length for "matching" the antena for best performance.

Looks like we need some help, I think most guys that have problems with thier radios (and there are alot) have poor antenna instalation.

John S.

Re: Radio - more help from Gray Ghost?

John S:

Its does sound like a job for the Ghost.

The little research I did before I stalled on this was that the antenna cable should be "no shorter than" a certain length (I think it was like 3 ft). Most of the radios / antennas come with a much longer antenna cables and what I read said that once you figure out where to mount the antenna and the exact run of the cable from the radio to the antenna its best to cut the cable to the exact length (just a hair longer), otherwise you need to coil the extra cable and I think they also said the coil should have turns that are no less than 3-ft in diameter otherwise the coiled cable will produce interference.

Re: Re: Radio - more help from Gray Ghost?

You da man, thanks.

I would have been nervous about cutting the coax, what's your take on "antenna matching", not needed with these sets ups ????

Thanks again,

John S.

Replying to:

John S:

Its does sound like a job for the Ghost.

The little research I did before I stalled on this was that the antenna cable should be "no shorter than" a certain length (I think it was like 3 ft). Most of the radios / antennas come with a much longer antenna cables and what I read said that once you figure out where to mount the antenna and the exact run of the cable from the radio to the antenna its best to cut the cable to the exact length (just a hair longer), otherwise you need to coil the extra cable and I think they also said the coil should have turns that are no less than 3-ft in diameter otherwise the coiled cable will produce interference.

Re: Re: Re: Radio - more help from Gray Ghost?

You can buy the PL 259 from Radio Shack for assembly instructions.

The shorter the cable, the less RF energy will be lost in either transmitting or receiving which is what you want, RF cable has a fixed amount of loss per foot which is dependent on the way the cable is made, the diameter and with what kind of dielectric material is used. Leaving a minimum of 3 ft or more is a good idea incase a repair is needed.

VHF 8 ft marine antennas do not require matching, the antenna is matched by design of the antenna, 3 footers require matching, couplers, that is that hunk of metal that you see at the base of the antenna.

Marine CB antennas are sometimes matched using the coax cable; do not cut, because it is part of the antenna. Automobile CB antennas are fine tuned by adjusting the antenna height in a particular installation.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Radio - more help from Gray Ghost?

Guess that kind of answers all our questions, thanks Gus.

John S.

Replying to:

You can buy the PL 259 from Radio Shack for assembly instructions.

The shorter the cable, the less RF energy will be lost in either transmitting or receiving which is what you want, RF cable has a fixed amount of loss per foot which is dependent on the way the cable is made, the diameter and with what kind of dielectric material is used. Leaving a minimum of 3 ft or more is a good idea incase a repair is needed.

VHF 8 ft marine antennas do not require matching, the antenna is matched by design of the antenna, 3 footers require matching, couplers, that is that hunk of metal that you see at the base of the antenna.

Marine CB antennas are sometimes matched using the coax cable; do not cut, because it is part of the antenna. Automobile CB antennas are fine tuned by adjusting the antenna height in a particular installation.