Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Downrigger advice

I also run the leads off the sides. I use the Big Jon rod holders and put the dr rods straight out. When running boards too, I put those rods at 45 degrees. I keep the downriggers on the inside.

Salty

Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger advice

Hands down riggers off the stern and lead core off the side with or without planner boards. This will give you a better spread and far less tangles. Salmon usually rocket right to the top; if they hit on your lead core and the riggers are running deep usually you can leave them out. If they hit the riggers same thing usually happens. Lakers not so lucky clearing the lines is your best bet for them.

Charlie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger advice

Charlie, now that you mention it, I hear ya on the lakers, most of my "clusters" were laker related.

As usual, thanks for all the advice guys!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger advice

I run my riggers at a 45 deg angle off the back of the boat and run lead core or fly rods off the sides useing berts rod holders for the core lines and down east for the fly rods.I have had very little problems with tangles running this way If I run my third rigger I run that one behind my main motor off the back.If you use the track system you can put your riggers where ever they work best I will be switching to this system over the next year.Good luck in your Quest.

Erin

Re: Downrigger advice

I run my riggers at a 45 degree angle off the gunwales close to the stern...my boat won't let me go any further back...if you have ever seen a princecraft then you know why....the lead rods I run straight off of the sides. I haven't had a problem yet.

Re: Re: Downrigger advice

Link - I think I might try this...could be a solution to what I've been doing and would allow me to run the lead straight out the sides...

Re: Re: Re: Downrigger advice

Thanks guys, looks like lead off to the sides and riggers straight back or at 45 degrees off the corners...
Come on 4/1...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger advice

Starfire -- I'm glad you started this thread as I got the same benefit...I already ordered some new Fishlander rod holders so I can run the lead as far off the sides as I can. Come on springtime...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Downrigger advice

Amen Eric!