Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

My honest opinion.You asked for it so here it is.If you want to play you got to PAY.You are guest in New Hampshire or any other state you don't live in. People who live there pay taxes for every thing they own and use in N.H.They pay a rate that is like every other state as cheap as they can go and still fund the programs for residents.It's your choice to Fish or Hunt in that state.Why should they care that you want to hunt in there state?If I was a resident I would want you to pay BIG $$ what gives you the right to complain about fees.You could always stay in your own state and fish and hunt.I buy Fishing licenses in 4 states and it cost me close to $200.00 a year but that's MY CHOICE.If the price went up I would pay it.It's something I love to do so it's worth a Million $$.Now that's my honest opinion.This is not meant to Start any thing this is just my 2 cents.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

I pay almost 100.00? or better for all of my licenses and i also contribute the extra money also and i live in the state of N.H. I would pay more also but i feel strongly that hikers etc... should also have to pay a fee too, because it costs Fish and Game big $$$$$ to go out and do winter/any other type of rescue on a mountain etc... also if i were to hunt in maine or vermont it would cost me approx what you pay to do the same in N.H. as an out of state resident. I also fish in Maine and thats all i do and it cost me $50.00 for a license and something like $20-$25 for a milfoil sticker, It's my decision so i pay it It's all up to the individual. Just my .02 Take Care God Bless and Hurry up 4/1/07 LOL Dave From up North

My 2 cents -- this may ratttle all of you!

These types of funding problems are not so simple. First, a problem with all public-sector ("Government") spending is entitlement programs, like pensions and health insurance for life. Why do school taxes keep going up at a rate grossly disproportionate to inflation? Its the entitlements. In my school district 60% (!!!!) of my school taxes pay for costs of retirees, not current teachers. Thats scary. Next year it might be 62%, in '08 65% etc. This is a huge problem and it is not a minor cost issue looking to the future.

On the license fee side, simply raising fees may not work, it may actually result in reduced overall income to F&G by resulting in fewer licenses sold. I don't know if anyone else who took calculus back in the day remembers the old "max / min" problems, but thats what we're talking about. In theory there is a certain price (fee) that would result in the largest income, which is the magic balance of multiplying the fee x the number of people paying the fee. While many here on the board are big minded enough to be willing to pay more, the reality is that casual sporting folks are not. If F&G is going to continue to rely on license fees only, what they need to do is hire a polling / survey firm that can gather the data to figure out the majic price point that generates the maximum revenue. In theory, its possible that , reducing certain fees could actually result in higher revenue if it encourages that many more people to buy licenses. Or it could be that a slight increase is the answer. The point is its not as simple as hiking the fees.

The longer-term answer is likely to involve a combination of things. First, like others have mentioned, it makes no sense for F&G to foot the bill for search and rescue. They can and should provide the service, but those costs should be reimbursed from the general coffer. Second, fee structures should be carefully evaluated using the max / min principles to truly get the desired result -- more money. Certain costs should and could be reigned in -- as mentioned by John S. And lastly, other sources of income should be considered and funneled to F&G.

This all boils down to joining the political process. Our discussions are great but won't accomplish anything unlesss we (collectively) or some organization can strike up discussions with elected officials in the NH legislature. No free lunch, it would take time and effort.

First off let me start by saying I do play and also pay. but there is a limit. Also I agree that a resident should pay less for the licenses in thier home state, that only makes sense. but do you think if is fair for the noresident to pay $141 for a combo license when the resident pays a mere $46 for the same
license? now I know you residents are going to say we pay taxes, fine I want you to do the math on this residents are going to eat and sleep at their own homes. how much revenue do you think the non-residents are going to spend on food, gas,and lodging, plus other things while hunting in the state?
If you go to crazy with the license fees alot (not me but i'm guessing alot) will say to h--l with it and stay home . most residents have the attitude of who cares? we'll if they do what then will happen to the states economy? I just think that in comparison the receidents should pay more. I know quote "I am a guest" well I just think the state could be a little better Host/hostess. and thats my $.02 worth. If all I had to do was to pay close to $200.00 to fish 4 states that would be great.

Happy New Year

Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

True Story. My boat died over in Meredith Bay one year. Tow Boat U.S. Showed up and it cost me more than I am willing to admit for a tow all the way back over by the Long Island bridge. Now why did I have to foot the bill on that one when a lost hiker can sponge off of you and I and use fish and game? OK enough about that.

Liscense fees: If the license cost $100, I would pay. Fishing is what I love and I spend ridiculous amounts of money on it between fuel, and all the little toys for the boat that I don't really need but I just have to have it. You all know what i am talking about. So if the license was $100 I would pay it.

Now let's take a look at the people who just fish as a hobby and not a way of life as it is to most of us on this board. From what I see most of them are not willing to even pay what the prices are now. This happens with friends of mine who just don't want to spend the money for an out of state license for one or two weekends of fishing. This also results in them remaining in bed while I am out on the lake enjoying a sunrise and a screaming drag. I will not let them on the boat without a license. That is their choice as well it is mine.

Bottom line is I agree with the comments about calculus and max's and min's I think that the 1 day and 3 day out of state fishing should be reduced. The sven day license I would actually raise another $5 to an even $40 dollars. The people who are usually vacationing for a week at a time are "On Vacation" and most likely willing to pay whatever it takes to have a good time. I would take the Threeday down to $20 dollars and the One day down to $10. Those are much more attractive numbers to the eye and could lead to more sales of licenses therefor bringing in more revenue.

As far as those uf us who hold fishing licenses for the whole year I would like to see Out of state go to an even $60 and in State go to $40. I whole heartedly agree the resident should pay less. It is your state not mine I do not have to fish there. I however would like to point out that some out of staters do support the state and pay taxes in the form of the property tax for land that they own in NH.

As far as hunting licenses I have no comment as I do hunt so I feel that i have no right to support or complain about that end of the spectrum.

Yes maybe Bass fisherman are getting the short end of the stick with their self supporting fishery but they chose to do it. Oh, yeah they can kiss my.....**** bass boats going 9,000 miles an hour right off my stern every **** morning out by diamond island..You would think that they would show other fishermen a little courtesy and not run over my line. Sorry had to let that out. NOt saying all bass fisherman are bad just that one who ran my line over and took a brand new top gun with it.

Sorry for the book but I feel strongly about supporting NH F&G and want to continue to see the fishery thrive so yes I would pay more.

Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

I think you'll see that the person that said they pay $200.00 to hunt/fish in 4 different states mean't that they pay upwards of $200.00 per state not for 4 Maybe they can clarify this but i think that's what they meant to say. Just my "Final" .02 as lately every time i try to give "My" .02 you seem to think i am doing it towards you (Not sure why?) but that is not the case at all!!!!!!!!!! I have had the blessing of meeting many people from this board and consider them all good friends If you don't want an opinion then you shouldn't ask for one UGHHHHHHH enough from me Have a Good New Year LOL Dave From up North

Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

Dave,
I want to say that I am not talking about you or anyone in particular. ecespecially you. I did throw a dig at erbyjoe because he lashed out at me. no harm meant. I don't know why people are taking everything I say personally. it sounds to me like everyone is saying They would pay more for their licenses but when I mention raising the residents fees everyone seem to get aggravated WHY?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

my question was not if you would pay more but as a resident what do you think you should pay for your license?
Well I heard through the grapevine that I might be ban from this site.(I hope that is not the case) but if it is I guess probably for not having the same opininions as the chosen few. I guess if you don't agree with the right people or say the things they want to hear then your an idiot, or fool. that having been said I guess its time for me just to sit back and read the post instead of taking a part in them. I guess I'll just let the experts and the Kiss a-ses post thier thoughts. I hold no grudges I'm sorry you guys do.
Just one more thing "why does the state let the Basmasters cull bass during tournaments, we can't cull trout or salmon during our derbies? If the are a self sufficiant organization then why does the state even set a limit or season on bass. sounds Political to me. enjoy "YOUR SITE"
Happy New Year
Forry

Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

Forry,

First off. I did not see anyone get aggravated by you saying that the residents fees should increase so I don't know where that comment came from. I think you are just trying to stir things up again.

I fully support Fish and Game's fee structure. The residents fee should be kept as low as possible to keep the hunting and fishing sports open to as many people as possible. You do not want to price families out of these wonderful activities so that the sport cannot be shared and passed down from parents to kids. There are growing numbers of people who oppose the taking of animals so if we do not continue our traditions it could eventually lead to the demise of our favorite sports.

The majority of non-residents who purchase NH licenses are avid sportsmen who will have a higher success rate than the average angler or hunter. Therefore they should be more willing to spend the money for the privilege to fish or hunt in our fine state.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

Just throwing my .02 cents in again but you wonder why some people get upset?????????? all you have to do is read your own post, when you call people experts and Kiss A__es that's what ****** people off. Do i myself consider quite a few people on this board "Experts"? Dam straight i do, these guys and girls have a "Passion" for fishing and are nice enough to share some of their own secrets with us, whether it be on this board or personal emails. I've been visiting this site for 3? years now and some of these past posts "Questions" you have put up have stirred the pot more then i have seen in those 3 years. I by no means "Hate/dislike etc..." you or anyone else. I am more then willing to pay whatever it is that fish and game tells me to pay because "I" enjoy fishing/hunting and would go nuts if i couldn't do either. I went 2 1/2 years without being able to fish or hunt and almost went to the nutt house because of it UGHHHHHHHHHHHh Last season was my "BEST" Season ever thanks to many people from this site. (Thanks for the gazillionth time once Again) I will never forget the season of 2006, i could die tomorrow and die happy but i still have a monster to catch on squam and ontario so i hope i don't die anytime soon. If i ****** you off Sorry You can take it anyway you want, but i am def. not a "Kiss A__S" Thank you very much Take Care God Bless and Have a safe and happy New Year LOL Dave From up North

I would like to say a couple of things then I'm moving on.
1.Forry you asked a question I answered it just like you ASKED and now your saying I slamed you????? or maybe I'm the Kiss ** you were talking about?
2.I pay $200.00 to fish in 4 states(NY,NH,ME,MA)because That's MY CHOICE!!If you want to hunt and fish in other states than your own THAT'S YOUR CHOICE.I never trashed you on hunting I could care less I'm not a hunter So you should pay more but THAT"S your CHOICE!!No one is twisting your arm to hunt or fish in other states.
3.I have no problem with your question or answers if you feel like you are going to be banded that's between you and the people that run this site not US You ask the questions and take offence to any one who doesn't agree with you or what YOU belive in.
4.I don't know why you think it is fun to get people going on this site but Most of us enjoy the threads that are started and answer them the best they can.If you want respect from people on this site you should give the respect back.
That's all I have to say.I apologize if I said any thing to ofend any one.

Erin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

Geez... came home to grab lunch and decided to read the board... WOW... here we go AGAIN!
What I think is quite funny is that Forry calls people here "kiss a-----". Not sure how he defines that? Is a "kissa--" someone that gets along well with others? Plays nice? Maybe that's why you don't belong here... you don't play well with others. If the comments you have made here are suppose to be just "conversation" then shame on whoever raised you. They should have taught you courtesy. It would be one thing if this was a one-time event (everyone gets carried away once in a while), but it seems every thread you start is just to wind people up. (Starting with wanting to get rid of the sticky-posts of the winterization/shrinkwrapping of boats. Having a bad winter?)
Since you've blown courtesy out the window... here's my thoughts... maybe you're mad because most of us are getting better at catching fish from reading this board. Maybe you're getting jealous?
In fact I recall you saying you went to a spot Travis brought you on a charter (the very day after the charter) and you caught one (?) laker? Pretty funny... same spot, attempted same technique, have zilch for luck and then run away when you see Travis coming... Hmmmm???
Let me remind you, I'm not making this up. You told me this directly to my face.
These other guys are right... you're asking for opinions but getting upset when people try to give them to you. Asking the question "how much do you think you should pay as a resident" is a pretty open-ended question. Its all relative to so many other criteria... ever-changing criteria at that.
As far as the bass fishing comment/question... ever think about how much more hardy a bass is than a salmon? That explains 95% of why culling is allowed. Add to that the fact that F&G doesn't have to raise and/or stock bass and you see why they allow more leniency on what happens with bass fishing. Obviously, "no limit" would start a down fall of the bass population. Might be a good thing in the eyes of salmon fishermen, but the state has to look out for the interests of the bass fisherman as well.
I'm going back to work... less stress.

Lottery/F&G Funding

I just read this whole funding message. We need solutions not complaints. How about collecting credit card information from the lost hiker calling in on his cell phone. If your car or boat needs to be towed does the government tow it for free. The best solution would be a private organization that calls for the lost souls would be refered to and they would find them and collect for there time. This might be a great idea for a new business? Idea two: How about raising the fee for the moose lottery, $10 is a deal, I bet all 10,000 people would still enter at $25

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

Hey Slipknot, when I mispoke about you I said I was sorry, maybe that has something to do with the way my folks raised me to admit my mistakes. I never said that when I saw Travis in the Trout hole that I had talked to Travis and hesaid he was with was customers, and he was going to be leaving soon and that he didn't mind me fishing there. As soon as I realized that he was on a charter I decided that the only descent and courteous thing to do was to leave the area and let Travis continue fishing. ( I guess that may again have something to do with my raising). So if you think for one minute I am going to let the rest of the readers think that I told you what you said, then you are sadly mistaken, because what you just wrote I did not say or do. all though you didn't answer it in my post you did in fact and were (as far as I know)the only resident that said you would pay at least $100.00 to fish in NH.

Graig,
You don't have to like me that's your choice. but lie about me either.
Happy New Year
Forry
P.S. just for the record if there is anyone that wants to know something about me. feel free to e-mail me and I'll tell you the facts about me and there won't be any lies, and you can take that to the bank. I don't hide behind anything or anyone. sort of like Paul Harvey GOOD DAY

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

correction there should have been a period after I never said that(period). When I saw Travis (then continue on)

sorry, Slip Knot got Me upset can you believe it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

One thing I don't do is LIE.

What I said is exactly what you told me that day we had lunch together. I even remember the stupid little grin you had on your face when you said you left the spot when Travis showed up. Kind of like you got caught with your hand in the cookie jar.

Nice of you to try to turn it around on me...

I've had enough of you... you're not worth my time, so this is my last response to your nonsense.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

OK correction... Been sitting here thinking about this and I will clarify one thing... You said to me you left when you saw Travis. I took that to mean "when you saw him approaching", but perhaps you did mean "when you were approaching him"??? Either way, you still had that sheepish grin that said "I got caught". And I definitely remember you saying you caught the one fish. My whole point was in the question... are you just jealous of some of these other people?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

I don't know who you think you are trying to impress or think you have to impress but, You say what you want, maybe some of the boys will believe you. How ever, I hope that if the people want find the TRUTH and think that I am not telling it, they ask Travis what happened that day, because you sir are exactly that a "LIAR". I may be a little foolish and may like to stir the pot a little but I am not a liar.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

Forry - why don't you just leave this board? I've had enough just reading your posts and I'm not even in the crosshairs. You're ruining it for others.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

I do an internship 2 days a week with 4th through 8th graders who have many problems (emotional/behavioral etc...) and they don't even act like this when they are at their worst. Forry if you want to attack someone do it in private email and not on the board, there's alot of people on here that would rather not see this happening on the board, so if ya must fight (not just forry but anyone!!!!!this includes myself cause i got s__ked into this one also) let's try and keep it off of the board I for one do not want to see this website taken off the internet just because of some nonsense and i don't want to have to pay yet cause i ain't got enough money right now, As my Dad always says to me "If you ain't got nothing good to say, then don't say it" Have a good New Years everybody Take Care God Bless LOL Dave from up North

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

First off let me say I will not respond to eric H 's comments at all.
Now as for Daves post. I was not the one that was spreading lies as is Slipknot. I may make myself look and sound a like a fool sometimes, But I never tried to tell this board that someone said something they didn't say. How would you feel if someone was telling lies about you? If he had e-mailed me and had said what he said where no one else could see, I then would have dealed with him in the e-mail way. Since he SlipKnot slandered me on this site, then I think it is only appropriate and fair that I exspose him for what he is, which in this case a bold face liar.

I hope you do well on your internship with the kids.
but I also hope you teach them to stand up and defend the truth as well. Unless someone else chimes in with other false statements about me I have said all I am going to about this. Ijust want the people to understand the TRUTH.
Happy New Year

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

Well Forry, it seems yu are hopeless, I have fished twice with you, once on my boat and once on yours, both times we enjoyed ourselves.

Slipknot I have fished with many times and will again I'm sure as I find him to be a straight shooter and honest guy.

I hope you keep your promise and sit back and be a lurker on the board, you are definatley too much of a rebelrouser for my liking. Once was bad enough, twice was too much. And I believe there was one other time (but I can't re-call it) you raised a ruckus here, so I guess that's 3 strikes, yer out.

I owe the message board an apology for bringing up the two recent subjects that set you off. As I told you in private, "I seem to bring out the worse in you" and perhaps it is I that should refrain from posting, but after thinking more about it and reading more of your messgaes, I'll continue on the same as always.

I can't believe you would act the way you do and set up such a negative profile of yourself, I think your teacher left out some important advice, or you went hunting/fishing the day "how to make friends and influence people" was covered.

Sorry it has come to this, no need to reply, but I'm sure you will and the board will survive..

John S.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

First off let me say I will not respond to eric H 's comments at all.
Now as for Daves post. I was not the one that was spreading lies as is Slipknot. I may make myself look and sound a like a fool sometimes, But I never tried to tell this board that someone said something they didn't say. How would you feel if someone was telling lies about you? If he had e-mailed me and had said what he said where no one else could see, I then would have dealed with him in the e-mail way. Since he SlipKnot slandered me on this site, then I think it is only appropriate and fair that I exspose him for what he is, which in this case a bold face liar.

I hope you do well on your internship with the kids.
but I also hope you teach them to stand up and defend the truth as well. Unless someone else chimes in with other false statements about me I have said all I am going to about this. Ijust want the people to understand the TRUTH.
Happy New Year

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lottery/F&G Funding

If slipknot is in fact a bold faced liar, then he is the most honest and trustworthy bold faced liar i have ever had the opportunity of becoming friends with, At the very begining of last season, (i didn't know slipknot from a hole in the wall) he had a canvas for sale from a boat that he pretty much got taken on (this also goes to show what kind of a person he is as he totally trusted the person in N.Y. that sold him the boat "ended up he got shafted to make a long story short") My buddy Rob was interested in seeing if the canvas would fit on his boat, Slipknot met us at the docks in Ctr. Harbor and let us take the canvas home with us (might i remind you this was the very first time he had met Rob and I face/face) and told us to bring it back the following weekend. The only place he had ever talked to me before this was on this board and through personal emails. It ended up not fitting and we brought it back to him the following weekend, if i was a crooked fella i could have never brought it back and he would have had no idea how to find me that's just how trustworthy and honest he is. I now consider Slipknot to be one of my very good friends and fishing partners and am glad to say the i trust his word 100% he has never steered me the wrong way and has always been upfront with me. To all the people i know and am friends with "Thank You" if not for this board i would have never met any of You and you are all "Great" people. Also One more thing just to show the quality of the people from this board, take Ernie for example, I've met him one time at last years gathering when i met alot of people for the first time, even though i am not great friends with him like alot of you he offered to graciously take me with him and his son to ontario this spring "Now that's the quality of friends and people i have met through this awesome board" Sorry you feel the way you do Forry but i still wish you a Happy New Year and hope that God Bless's you and your family. P.S. I do teach the children to stand up for what is right and reward them appropriately, but i also teach them that there is a "Right" way and a "Wrong" way to do this and unfortunately what has happened on here lately is the "Wrong" way!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless LOL Dave From up North