Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Affordable High Speed Leadcore Reel

YOAdrien,You don't think the non level wind would be an iussue with that much line to reel in?I mean you would have to pay attention putting the line on the reel the right way.Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking but when I use lead core on my Fly rods I have to put the line on the same way with the fly reels I have.Have you ever used a non level wind for this type of rod?I would be woried about the line over wraping it self causeing a snag and maybe lost fish.Not a big deal I was just wondering.That is a good price for a high speed reel for leadcore.I just not sure about the non level wind.What do you think?

Erin

Re: Re: Affordable High Speed Leadcore Reel

My leadcore reels are Shimano speedmasters and they do not have a levelwind.

It may be an issue for some, i don't mind and customers usually do ok with it.

Until we find something that has it all it is kind of a pick your poison situation. You either crank all day with a slow levelwind reel or you guide the line on with a finger. I would rather guide it on instead of reeling all day.

At any rate it is 1/2 the cost of a speedmaster and functions largely the same and is a little smaller.

Just some info to help people make the most informed decisions possible.

Re: Re: Re: Affordable High Speed Leadcore Reel

Very good point YOAdrien Your the first one I know that uses a non level wind reel for core What you say is right on the $$.I appreciate the reply.Your also right about cranking all day I wish they made a line counter with 6 to 1 ratio for my wire rig I use at Ontario.That would be worth it's weight in gold.Thanks again for the info.

Erin