Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
non lead trolling lines

Anyone have experience with the non lead lines.
I was given a couple of 15 lb weighted non lead trolling lines. Sinking rate 1foot per 2 yards.
The size looks smaller than regular lead core.

Re: non lead trolling lines

I have never used the non-lead.

It is skinnier than most because 12-15lb. "weighted" cores have a thinner core than the 18-45Lb which all share the same core.

Everything is supposed to be and act the same as lead, just not made of lead.

I switched to non-lead a few years back. I figured that eventually F&G would ban lead line like they did with the lead sinkers so I figured I'd give it a shot. I have not noticed any difference at all. The sink rates seem to be the same. 7 Colors on lead and non-lead were both hitting fish so they must have been pretty dang close to the exact same depth.

Old Fisherman,
I would be interested in knowing the weight of a full core coil of non-lead core line. If you have a postal or a Weight Watchers scale or some thing that would measure weights of thing around 7 oz would be adequate. You can leave the core on its’ plastic holder.
Gus

Re: Re: non lead trolling lines

Gus,
A 100 yards spool of 15# non lead sinking line weighed 4.4 oz on the post office scale.
This included the plastic core.
I had been looking for 18# since that was what most people had stated on this site, but Cabelas was out of the 18#. So I'll use the 15# that was given to me. I'll also put on new backing. (I may claen the reels while I'm at it.)

Re: Re: Re: non lead trolling lines

The 15# no-lead "leadcore" from Cabela's is what I've been using the last two seasons. Its reasonably thin, sinks well and best of all you can tie a double-uni knot to join the leadcore to the first monofilament leader and the knot is small enough to (usually) pass through the rod guides no problem.

Eric

Re: Re: Re: non lead trolling lines

Thanks for the info. The weight is more than Cortlands 14 lb at 3.3 oz regular lead core. By any chance would you have access to a micrometer to measure the over all and the lead diameters? Thank again.
Gus

Re: Re: Re: Re: non lead trolling lines

The 4.4 included the plastic core which I think is probably pretty heavy.
I don't think I have a micrometer any more, I had to discare several tools when I moved.