Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What am I going to do with the boat I win, lol.

MikeF-NH
...oh and I didn't mention the last criteria for "next up" in the batting order. As soon as the fish is "seen" it is "on". that means if we see a fish jump as it's throwing the hook, the "batter is out" and the next batter is up. If you fight a fish for 5 minutes but it never shows it self and comes off, batter is still up.

It makes for some funny moments when "fish on" - it jumps and shakes the hook so the net man grabs the rod from him and says "saw it".

I'm also sure that many of you will agree that "net man" is the most stressful job on the boat.

I might see some of you at Guiseppes tomorrow night but am not sure if we are all going all the way down to Merideth. We might try to hit something in Center Harbor.

That's a good idea, if the fish shows himslf he counts as a turn, I'll propose that to my crew.

Center Harbor aint that far from Merideth, only decent place there is the Canoe, but the waiter there made a play for Forry last time we were there, and not many Derby folks at all (none) not like the year before, waitreses are cuter at Gueseppis.

Big John

My boat partner Mike G. and I always swap the order, first one up any rod that pops and so on. If someone else comes on board, they are always the fist up, and the game is played the same, in order of sequence.

Our boat is the upgrade boat, so we would sell the prize boat and put the after tax profit toward lowering our present boat payment. If we have visitors on the boat the winning prize is theirs and hopefully they remember us.

You never know if the first fish will be the winner.
3 or 4 years ago in the lake O. fall LOC derby, on a very crappy (windy day) I brought on all the guys in our group that couldn't get out with their smaller boats. My freind Bob's son, (I don't think he had caught a King yet that week) was first up. After a 45 minute battle, a spent teenager brought in his prize. (my memery is bad 32+ lbs, Bob?) someone asked if I had hit the waypoint, I said yes but we have to go weight this fish! really? yes, scant amount of boats on the water, good chance of winning the daily prize ($100), long story short, that fish held 2nd place until the last day and that fish, Bob's son and my boat are in the LOC derby fall record book 3rd place.

Good luck to all this weekend.

Mike P.

Have fished the derby around 20 yrs. with 4 differant partners. My ole Uncle Vinnie,Strings,G.W. & the daughter.
Daily prizes to who ever gets the fish.
Always been only 2 people on board so 2 poles each.
If a boat was won, the person who got the fish keeps all the gear, etc. Then we sell the boat, motor trailer pay the taxes & split $$. Which means with the daughter it all goes to the college. W-Fat

This is what I did when I won the LT Div. a bunch of years back.

This is what I did when I won the LT Div. a bunch of years back.

I had already agreed with my fishing partner that we would split things 50/50 if one of us was lucky enough to win something. We split all costs as well. Gas, bait, lures, lodging, etc.

I reeled in the winning fish so I was the one who entered the fish at the weigh station. That night (Sat.) we won a Penn downrigger. The fish held until the end of the derby. I claimed the boat so I was the one to give my SS number. We had a friend come up to tow the boat home. Was told that the boat had a value of about $10K by the marina that supplied the boat. Put a for sale sign on it and sold it for $8K 2 weeks later. Paid my fishing partner by check and got his SS number. Come tax time, I had my accountant send my fishing partner a form for half of what I was taxed/ won by the Winni derby people. The Penn DR was sold and we split the $$ we got for it as well.

Fair is fair. We each paid our taxes for what we got.

Just make sure you are clear with the people on the boat before you start the derby.