Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Scales

From what I have read and been told .You should NOT weigh any fish you plan on releasing.
Just my .02
I have Cabelas spring scale that works well.

Im'in
From what I have read and been told .You should NOT weigh any fish you plan on releasing.
Just my .02

Hmmmm, never heard that myself, probably a good idea, maybe that's how so man huge fish are reported, lol.

Fish and Game weigh.measure and release 100's of fish every fall and that's after sitting in a cramped trap for a day or 2 maybe more ?????

We release at least 90% of what we catch, sometimes a quick measurement is taken and maybe a weight, but when we get a big boy, we like to measure and weight it. We send a report on every fish caught on every trip to Fish and Game Biologist, they rely on accurate data on these reports. I'll have to ask them for an opinion and post it here.

Big John

Re: Scales and Marine radio

Went to West Marine to get a replacement radio, no static, replaced on the spot, last time I went there they wanted to send it out, it was a Uniden, so I threw it out and bought one of thiers (Uniden with West Marines name on it) they have more flexibility with thier own named stuff.

While there looked at scales, they had many to choose from, but nothing that I wanted. The spring scales are in pound increments, hardly accurate, they would all be 6 pounders then. lol. It was a nice Boga style, but for big fish, they had a another Boga style one that had a tape on it for measuring, but no weight sale. I'll see what Cabelas has ???

Big John

Re: Scales and Marine radio

So far I found this in Cabellas, pricey but it's a boga in 1/4 pound increments and a spring scale. If a new battery doesn't help mine I'll but his one, oh heck I'll buy it anyhow, Social Security check is coming soon, lol..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat90002_TGP&id=0018687015490a&navCount=2&podId=0018687&parentId=cat90002&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat90002&hasJS=true

Big John

I've heard and read the same thing.That fish hung verticle have a greater chance of mortality,that they should be supported under the belly and the gills,and are not created to be hung by their jaws.Now easy boys,only relaying what I read and heard.

That makes sense poleski. All their life fish are effected by gravity in a horizontal position. Probably not made to withstand the vertical force of gravity out of the bouyancy of water.
Cal

Im'in
Just my .02

I could have sworn I made a post on this to I'm In, oh well, maybe I did elsewhere ??? I did some research and you are 100% correct, "fish to be released should not be weighed by coventional methods we use". I'll see if I can pick out some highlights from F and G biologist and post it here, he had allot to say on the subject. The drops they put in the water are a controled substance, forget that idea, people would be smoking it, lol.

Big John