Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fishing Report

Here is a report it will also be posted on the site under fishing reports. I'll be on the pond again in the A.M. Go Get Em'

Things are heating up! We have surface water temps from 65-70 and it will not be long before our very good friend Mr. Thermocline shows back up I know we all miss him. For those of you that do not know why we fish the thermocline and what it is well finding fish that are feeding is one of the most important skills a fisherman needs to develop. You can mark fish on your fish finder and not get them to hit your lure if they are not in what we call their "feeding zone"! Most species of fish have a preferred temperature of water that they will actively feed in. For Salmon that temp is around 55 degrees. Find this area of temperature with fish present and you will greatly increase your chances of catching fish. Remember, fish are cold blooded. In water too cold, fish will be lethargic and sluggish and will not feed. If the water temp is too warm, they will be cruising in search of a more comfortable environment/water temp… On Lakes such as Winni, water temperatures tend to settle into horizontal layers of warm water and cold water that are separated by a moderating layer known as the "thermocline". This is where you will find bait as well as the fact that the thermocline will usually be the most active "feeding zone" based on water temp.

“Simply put, the thermocline is a thin layer of water in a lake which is sandwiched between the upper layer of water (the epilimnion) and the lower, colder layer of water (hypolimnion). During the summer months, surface water is heated by the sun and the surface temp could be 80 degrees or more. This floats over a layer of colder more denser water called the hypolimnion. Now, between these 2 layers you have a thin layer in which the water temp drops fair substantially. This will be the thermo cline. The temp at this level may be high 60's and up in about the middle of spring.” For more on this topic check out our article in the July issue of the Hawk Eye written by Glen Leather’s of Island Fishing Charter’s and Fish Lake Winni Charter Fleet

We have had some May Fly hatches recently which is why we see so many fish sipping on the surface these cruiser’s will frustrate the most seasoned of angler’s because though you can see them they are very hard to catch through our trolling methods however for you fly guy‘s get out early morning and make some cast‘s. When Salmon and trout are feeding on May flies If you don't observe them feeding on the surface, they may be taking the mature rising nymphs just before they hatch. This is very typical during the early days of the initial hatch. It may take a couple of days before the trout and Salmon start feeding on the surface mayfly. Salmon and Bows may be feeding on the rising nymph before we see them sipping on the mayfly dun. Often these fish are not preoccupied with one specific insect so if you do fly fish try May Fly imitations or a beaded-gold-ribbed-hare's-ear-nymph.

Aboard the Cool Water we are having some good outings some not so good and some great the weather has been keeping us on our toes. When the wind is out of the west with a good chop we seem to do very well. When we have slick calm days the byte can be tough and we have been catching a large number of one and two year olds on these days. We have been catching our fish all over the place from 42’to 18’ down. My best controlled depth and most consistent has been 26’ with water temps in the 55 degree range. Best lures for me have been the #1 Chappy’s Spoon great little spoon with awesome action, Jims blades and spoon’s as well the Guides special’s and BB Guns. Did well today on a wonder bread Top Gun as well… Gold Orange Silver has been the go to best color for me as of late…

Keep in mind that all of that rain we got in June has the Lake cooler so things are a bit behind. My big tip is as always get out and fish and enjoy yourself and if you like calm mornings, Loon Song, sipping Salmon and some quality time with your fly rod well than now is your time!

Brought to you by:
Cool Water Charter’s
Fish Lake Winni Charter Fleet

Re: Fishing Report

Great report Travis, very helpful.

I'll be listening for you out there. Not sure I'm transmitting very well these days but I'll try and give you a shout tomorrow.
Good luck out there!
Bob

Good report,we also will be on the water tomorrow.See you on the pond.polebreaker

Great Report with awesome details buddy, of course the scientific language threw the dumb frenchman off a little bit LMAO Thanks!!!!!!!! Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

I agree Dave...I just hope there is no suprise Quiz...because I will be SOL!!

Hey Still Fishin, Where's the report from the father's day trip to pittsburg? Just curious how you guys made out? Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

thanks for that report, Travis.
For the info within it...and for your continuing committment to those who, through this site and on the boats of the fleet, are learning to enjoy the sport more than they otherwise ever could. Thanks also to AJ and the others who share in this effort.

How's that for sucking up ?

Seriously, though. Thanks a lot.

Thanks Travis, very helpful. I learned a lot, now if I can just remember it. LOL..........Doc

Thanks for sharing Travis. Great Info.