Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tue Salt Report

What a day!!!!!!! Ben Glenn, myself, and Cap't Thomas left his slip at 5:30 a.m. Went out to the shoals in 2 to 3's. Jigged up 60 or 70 macks in short order. Blasted out to Jeffries, to one of Thomas' honey holes. Immediately started hammering cod, haddock, and pollack. Had many doubles and a few triples. Moved a few times when they slowed up. We continued to hammer them each stop. The big excitement of the day were blue sharks. I was bringing up what I thought was a big cod. He took out a little drag once in a while. He was getting close to the boat, and I asked Thomas for a gaff. Thomas said you have an 8' blue shark and gaffed him. The shark immediately dove with the gaff minus the rubber grip, which was in Thomas' hand. He headed under the boat, so I followed him around the bow, praying I would not lose my med weight cod rod and nice reel. Thomas had to lift up one of his heavy tuna rods from the bow gimbal so I could slide my rod under, continuing around the boat. Shortly afterwards, he broke me off. We immediately started throwing out herring, harbor pollack, and some macks to draw him back. Within a few minutes we had two or three sharks hanging around the boat. One of which was "mine" who lost the gaff but had my jig in his mouth. Thomas said that, "my" shark was not an 8'er but a 10'er. He threw his jig out and hooked up on my jig. The shark circled and unhooked himself from Thomas' jig. Thomas set out both of his tuna rods, hoping to bring in one of those sharks. We had sharks around but continued to jig up bottom fish. Ben brought up a 2' cod which was about a foot below the surface. An 8' shark came over for a look. We all went over to watch him. The shark poked the cod in the tail with his nose a couple times. He then circled around bumping his tail against the boat. He opened his mouth wide and grabbed the cod by the head , jig and all. Ben set the hook and he was off for a while until he broke off. After the sharks were gone, the three of us were wondering why we had not taken a picture with one of the two cameras on board. Too hectic, I guess. We filled three 90 qt coolers with 10-15# cod, pollack up to 20#'s, some nice haddock and one hake. We limited out on cod and were done cleaning up at Thomas' slip by 8:00 P.M. To cap off the day, I was cleaning my gear and rods at my house. I had a jigging rod in my hand with 4 sabikis and a mackerel jig on. Had it in my left hand, straight up and down with the hose in my right. The rod slipped down, and buried a sabiki hook well below the barb in the back of my hand. I was toooo tired to spend a couple hours in the ER and it was a new sabiki rig. I went in to my shop, and yanked the hook out with a pair of needle nose and administered some first aid. What a day!!!!!!!!
Richard

Re: Tue Salt Report

Great report Richard. Very interesting.Do you eat blue shark? I,ve heard some say they,re good eating and some say they,re lousy. Cal P).

Thanks guys. Cal, To be honest, All I eat is lobster & shrimp. I do enjoy fishing for anything that pulls back. Thomas would eat the fins of a blue shark & the head would make an awesome mount. According to what I have heard, the Mako's are much more edible but still don't demand a huge price.
Richard

Good report Richard! I was also hooked until the end. LOL

What a day!!! Should have called me! I'm a expert at hook removal and have the scars to prove it. lol

Salty
If I had known you did house calls that late, I would have swapped you some fresh fillets for your hook removal service! LOL
Richard

Great report Richard. Sounds like you guy's had a blast!!!

Mark