(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Off topic survey question

Slipknot
John, like you said, the fees will add up. The info the creditor sent me today said 0.4% per transaction. At first, I thought that was great... but then I just realized that is only the middle-mans fee. The credit card company then takes another 2 to 5 percent. Whoa... thats a lot of money. I do some jobs that are 30 grand or more. No way would I consider losing 5% of that money just so someone can use a card. Not worth it. Okay, so I already made my decision... no cards here. haha.

Exactly, the fees are there but I'm not sure the are that high, the 4 to 5 percent is standard, high activity they drop it some, but another 2 to 5 percent
I'm not sure.

It's a good chunck on a 30,000 job, if you build it in somehow, might put you over the budget.

Good desicion.
Big John

IMHO, I think you should look into the expense & paperwork (time) vs benefit on the credit cards. I'm sure that CC's might bring in a little more business. Not sure if it would help your bottom line. I am not sure if issueing credit to your customers was an option. If it was, I would strongly reccomend against that. I personally know of two lumber business' one huge, one small, that were brought down primarily due to bad receivables. In this economy, bankruptcy, is not uncommon. Even if a customer does not declare bankruptcy, chasing money is a frusrating reality. I would think that you would need a current cash flow to buy materials and pay for labor, including yours!
Hope this helps Craig.
Richard

I've been accepting cc for 10 years. most of my cc transactions are for lawn sprinker repair and services, however, I do regularly have people pay their installations with cc because of miles and free gifts. my rate is about 2.65% with a .25 cents per transaction fee. But I get my money in 24 hours, no bounced checks, no chasing money. On a $3,000 install, it costs me less than $100.00. I can live with that to get my money. Just my 2 cents. Don't do American express, their fees are outrageous. good luck

As a consumer i would say that it is worth it for you to take credit cards.

I have used them almost exclusively since I had a whole lot of trouble with a carpet installer I had in my house several years ago. It was a nightmare experience that i won't go into but ultimately i was able to reverse the charge on my CC until the job was done to my satisfaction. Prior to doing so I could not get him to answer my calls after he left the job 3/4 done. One he was out $1100 he was at my house 2 days later.