Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Buck Down!!!

The pursuit of 200lb ridge running, north country, whitetailed big woods bucks. This sentence, sums up one of the most passionate loves of my life. Since as long as I can remember I have disappeared into the fall woods in search of not just any buck but a 200lb buck. When the weather starts to cool in late fall my heart races with anticipation for the moments that create memories that can and will last a lifetime.

What is it about the 200lb mark that drives us northeast hunters? Is it the fact that you know you've shot a big healthy mature whitetail? Or is it simply where the bar has been set? Whether it is 200lb or 200 inches, a mature trophy whitetail is just that, a truly unique trophy.

In a moment for me, my 2009 season engraved memories in my mind with friends and family that will undoubtedly last a lifetime, as I was lucky enough to harvest my heaviest deer to date, a 225lb ridge running north country, mature buck. He carried 7 points and a nice 18 inch wide rack but its that 200lb mark that really makes him a buck of a lifetime. I shot him in Pittsburg while at hunting camp with some of my closest friends and family. We all got to enjoy the adventure of the hunt, of the harvest and of course the haulin' him out.

We love hunting the north country (by we I mean my Father and I) for the big woods and potentially the big bucks, and for as long as I have hunted we have always gone to the Big North Woods to pursue our Trophies. We love to track on snow and travel miles over ridges. This November we would have to deal with what Mother Nature gave us warm temps and bare ground. With a couple of tough winters and an already low deer heard the hunting and sign was not so good but as my Dad likes to say” it only takes a second!” The Temperatures were in the mid 40's on Friday November 20th and we were blessed with a driving rain, which was actually was kind of welcomed so at least you did not sound like you were stomping on seventy two boxes of Captain Crunch while you were walking through the woods. We were hunting an area I had tracked a buck through, over and around a bunch last season, well last season he won but this season well… I was sneaking across the top of a big clear cut when I jumped up my Buck bedded with a doe. I took two quick shots looking through my fogged scope as he bolted across the cut with my 30-06 pump. I was lucky enough to get one into him before he got out of the cut. After some running, some more shooting, some falling down of both me and the deer and some more shooting the pursuit came to its climatic end. And I got the biggest buck I've shot to date, this 225lb ridge runner. I shot five times and hit him at least three these Big Boys are some tough and I have the utmost respect for them and feel lucky and honored any time I even see such a specimen.

I have been very lucky in that I have had a great teacher and mentor, my father who has shot his fair share of wall hangers. Sharing these moments with him is a gift that I will cherish forever!

Photobucket

Travis
Cool Water

Re: Buck Down!!!

WELL DONE Trav.polebreaker

Thats is a truly impressive deer! And also a very nicely written post It's makes me what to go to pittsburg

Congrats

Glen

Nice one Travis. Heavy beams on him.

I hear ya on the 200 pound mark. To me, its a goal that creates different hopes and changes the hunt a little. Keeps it fresh. Made a mistake on my "200 pounder" this year. I watched a buck for a long time, beginning of muzzleloader season. I totally planned to let him pass as the rack was a moderate 8 point. But when he got close and turned broadside I thought for sure he was over 200. I decided to harvest him on weight alone. Brain shot. Instant death. Nice buck. But he ended up being only 183 pounds. Still a great deer, but left me wanting for a 200 lber. Haha. So, I hear ya on the draw of the body size. (Headed to Indiana on the 11th so may still have a shot at a 200 this year.)

WOW (Great) Job Congrats from the W-Fat

Congrats Travis, Been waiting all season to here this story. Glad you had a good time hunting with your Dad and broke the 200 mark. Nice Buck and Big bodied. Now if you could come up to my house and show me how to get this goshdarn bruiser i've been trying to get for 2 years now, I'd be very appreciative LOL God know's you've shown me how to catch some fish (as well as others) so maybe you can show me how to finally catch this buck that likes to tease the crap out of me Ughhhhhhhhh Oh did I mention he has at least one drop tine about 6-7 inches long????? Take Care God Bless LOL DAve Who still has some snow but its going away fast Ughhhhhhhhhh

CONGRATS Travis !!! Thats a for real North country ridge runner. I have only ever got one over 200 lbs. and that was some time ago. 212 lbs. scored 137 B+C. May never get another buck close to that one, but that,s O.K. cause I,ll never forget that day! Cal P.

Give me a shout.

Good job Travis!!! I hope to hunt with my son someday soon.

Nice to see a big boy like that down, congrates.

Travis nice buck anything over 200 is awsome love to see those BIG necks.The 200lb patch will look good next to the guide patch.I shot a 220lber 8 pointer about 7 years ago and what a day.Cut it all up and tried to eat it and it was TUFF the only thing I could eat was the back strap and ground up the rest. Deer was 5 1/2 years old and he was a mountain deer, the hoofs were all cracked from walking on rock and a gray face,I look at him every day on the wall,But remember the meat only last a year but bone and memorys last foever.Good luck this weekend to those still out there,Macs getting his deer this weekend he has put his time in. B-man PS razzle dazzles web site check out that salmon that F+G is holding headed there in june and I cannot wait.Its about the same size has the one AJ caught this year

I've found the key to not having tuff steaks is to ask the butcher to never cut the steaks more then a 1/2 inch thick. Have had some good bucks over the years between members of our group, and never had a tough one buy following this rule, Another good thing to do is to marinate the steaks overnight in the fridge AWESOME Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

nice buck trav... joe s..

Good job Trav there fun ain't they mine was only 209pounds this year.

Hey Cool Water, 2 inches of nice new fluffy white gold already on the ground up on my mountain LOL Take Care God Bless LOL Dave