(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
also

i forgot:
1) I remember reading here several years ago, once a tournament on winni gives up it's date, it is done! The State will not allow any new ones. for you veterans...remember the Fall derby, once it took a year off, well it is still in hiatus! Winni Derby is now a thing for the history books!

2) Most of the time, the 5 biggest Guides are here on the site offering input on everything! Oddly enough, I can't find any input from these boys on this subject in any of the threads recently? whats up with that?

Re: also

They have most likely been told to remain silent by your friends at f&g.

Re: SPRING DERBY CANCELLED

Fish And Game use to stock the salmon. In several location around the lake.Now they stock only one location Gilford. I think it would be better to spread them out around the lake. Im sure they do this to save money. Also it seems to me that most peope release the salmon they catch. Why would the numbers of salmon be down. I guess this isn"t true or a lot of salmon are dying. It just doesn"t make sense to me. We caught more salmon last year then we ever have. And a lot of quality salmon. I guess we were just real lucky.

If their plan is to stop the derby for one year and then bring it back the following year, then this is foolish and not well thought out. If they truly feel the derby is the culprit, it will have to be put on the back burners for a minimumm of 3-5 years to see the true effect on the salmon population. One year will simply not be enough to prove any of these theories. I still honestly feel that stocking more browns and warmwater fish (walleye,pike,musky),that have a much better chance at reaching trophy sizes, will create more opportunities for anglers and take pressure of the salmon fishery.These fish could also eventually sustain themselves. A previous post mentioned that they feel cheated that the ice derby was not taken away instead. I fully understand your feelings but if anyone should feel they're getting the shaft, it is those people who desire a managed warmwater fishery in this state. Everyone pays the same license fee and none of it goes to bettering the warmwater fishery in our state. This is not only a shame, but downright neglectful! I love to fish for both warm and coldwater fish and I don't think anyone reading this could honestly say that both fisheries are treated and managed equally. Also,
I feel the above mentioned would discourage the bucket biologists from stupidly taking matters into their own hands by illegally stocking fish. Ironically, our crew had already decided to forgo this years derby in favor of a trip up to Champlain. It's sad this derby tradition had to end, but if it means we can have trophy salmon fishing on Winni again then I support it 100%. Unfortunately, I don't think cancelling the derby alone will solve the problem. I enjoy reading and respect all your opinions, whether I'm in agreement or not.

Chris

Before I get skewered, I meant to say that more warmwater fish should be stocked throughout the state, to give anglers more and different opportunities. I didn't mean to imply stock them solely in Winni. My bad for not proofreading better.

Chris

I do understand what your saying (in that F & G manages pretty much coldwater species) but how can you honestly beleive that if you were to put Pike/musky into Lake Winni, that the Salmon would still be ok? The Pike would Dessimate or wipe out the salmon population. Good example is the Big pike they caught in Sebago last year, it had a 14inch Salmon in its belly with another 10in salmon that was half digested. The pike would wipe out the salmon that are stocked within a matter of weeks as the smaller salmon would be easy prey for pike/musky. Just my .02 but I don't think the lake and the forage (smelt/white perch fry) could handle both species. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

In my second post I tried to clarify I didn't mean put them in Winni. I feel more warmwater fish should be stocked throughout the state to take pressure off the coldwater fisheries, including Winni. It was late when I made these posts and I guess I didn't do a very good job explaining my points. My bad.