Welcome Fish Lake Winni Angler's

Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
derby 2

I'll start by saying, I'm glad to see so many posts to my rant. Dave you don't know me that's right and yes I've posted here in the past its been close to 3 years. What info I've posted was minimal at best. My point was that there is too much info. I never intended to claim that the regulars on this site are fish killers and hacks, its the the idea that so much info is available for the masses who could care less about fish quality or health. Doesn't anyone enjoy just going out and learning on their own? If your going to give info on how to catch fish then have twice as much if not more info on conservation and smart fishing methods, not just saying hey get a rubber net. I will not apologizefor what I said instead of being all proud of bashing me on my opinion use that energy to better the efforts of posting ways to fish smarter and conserve what resources we do have.

Re: derby 2

Here we go again Geez Give me a Break, You make me laugh, the things you complained about in your first post, you did each and every thing you were complaining about, Depths, Lures used, Etc... Etc...., And maybe just maybe before you go on a rampage as you did, you should attend one of our spring gatherings, listen to the founders of this website, Listen to the demonstrations and question/answer portion of the speech that F & G gives to the 150 plus or minus people that attend the banquet. As was pointed out, at last years banquet the owners/operators of this site specifically asked F & G if they felt this site was leading to the problems with the salmon fishery on winni, and if it was they would dis-contiue it. I guess you didn't hear F & G response to this question. Yes I've been on this website for at least 5 or 6 years now, and to be totally honest, I've taken as much information as I can (to help myself) gone on many charter boats and for the life of me I still can't catch fish on winni 1/2 as good as others on the site. Put me on any other lake that I fish and I do well, but winni I have never caught over 5 fish in a single day. I just personally think you should really think before you speak and start bashing many good people that you don't even know or have a clue what they do on their boats. I for one do, as I've been on many members boats from this very site, and other sites I belong to that are about the sports I love to do, and that is Hunting/Fishing. Think before you speak, use common sense, and lets "All" sportsmen work "Together" to help get the fishery back to were it should be. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

As you will see in the history, I don't write a whole lot of posts but I do read them all, nearly everyday.

I have to ask.....do you think "Kersten" a real person or is it someone just trying to throw gas on the fire and keep people talking? My personal opinion is that no real person could possibly be that narrow minded, there is just no way. To insult others for doing exactly what she has done in the past is just plain comical.

If she is a real person, thank you Dave for calling her on the carpet, I too am clapping.

Ryan

Ryan
As you will see in the history, I don't write a whole lot of posts but I do read them all, nearly everyday.

I have to ask.....do you think "Kersten" a real person or is it someone just trying to throw gas on the fire and keep people talking? My personal opinion is that no real person could possibly be that narrow minded, there is just no way. To insult others for doing exactly what she has done in the past is just plain comical.

If she is a real person, thank you Dave for calling her on the carpet, I too am clapping.

Ryan

Kirsten is a He and He is real, I don't know him that well but he's been around along time. I don't think he fishes our local lakes that much anymore, but he is from the area..

Big John

You just don't get it Dave so here it is in simple terms, we are all to blame. Now let's fix it. How's that

Thats a little better, but I'm not so sure we are "all" to blame???????? And I'm not trying to be a jerk, but your first post was totally unprofessional (if you are a guide) and very uncalled for. But I do agree that it is going to take "ALL" of us to help fix the problem. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

first off. as i said before i dont claim to have the answers to fix the problem?these are just my opinion..

kerstan i have to disagree with you.the info offered on this site.did nothing to help or encourage the state that the fishery is now in.this site in my understanding is to help our fellow fisherman become just that better fisherman.

yes some of us do share what lures are hot and what speed to run them at.
water temp and fish depth.but these are things we share on this site this is why many of us come to this site.i have seen many good things from this site.
i have seen many people come on this site that do not have a clue how to fish for salmon?

the future of our sport depends on these new comers.wether it be a youngster or an adult.it is our responsability as stewarts of this great sport to help future genarations become involved in it?

not for just another fisherman/fisherwomen.but also another licence to be sold to help pay for the fishery we all love so much..

i have and always will be more than willing to help a fellow fisherman/women catch fish.and if that means to give the info stated above to make sure these people with less experiance have a good day fishing.
than thats what i will do and suspect and hope all others from this site will do.

next.i have fished with many of the great guys on this site.first i want to thank all of you for having me aboard you vessels.i have fished with big john with six rods out.fished for ten hours and caught nothing?

i do not agree with less lines.the data is just not there to say anything different.and it would be unfair to the single fisherman out there.

next:a salmon stamp.i would be more than willing to pay for this stamp.if i was assured that the funds would go to the salmon.i question this???

next:forage i do not think there is enough??yes there are many salmon.ive caught many 21-24 long this past season.length was not the problem nor was hook wounds all of these fish where in great shape except for weight.
so that leads me to beleive there not getting enough food.is it all the rainbows i dont know.but i caught the most rainbows in a single season than ever before on winni?and all of them long and real fat.

as i said these are just my opinions and thoughts.

in times of need many suggestions are offered.some good some bad?but let us be carefull what we bring to the table?
some things offered in the heat of the moment sound good.but once in place.the temporary soon become permanent..ie: single lines-salmon stamp-derby...
we all need to work together to fix this problem????? thanks joe s.....

Kersten's comments were brutal and unfair. Now she's backpedaling and saying it's everyone's fault. Maybe she should be baking a cake somewhere instead of going directly at the guides. (I know it's a guy)LOL

Everything is cyclical on this earth. I, personally, think the smelt are in a downward cycle for whatever the reason. Smelt are extremely difficult to forecast how well they are doing. They have completely disappeared from some bodies of water and F&G have no idea why. Bow Lake is a good example. In the 60s and early 70s there was a brook I know of that would be black with smelt at night and completely white with eggs the next day when the spawn was on. Now there are none in the lake. That lake used to be a good laker and salmon lake.Not anymore.

The Winni salmon are gorging themselves with white perch. They would be filled with smelt if the smelt were doing well. That's a big lake. Do you really think that F&G have a grasp on how well the smelt are doing considering the lack of funding they have experienced over the past few years.

We've had some very good years as a direct result of Fish and Games' managing the situation. Now they having to come up with some ideas to get it back to where it was. They'll do it. It may take some time, but they'll get it done.

Matty(Hooked on Salmon) Travis(Cool Water Charters) Adrien Lavoie, Jason Parent, Salmonitis(AJ White) are all in this together. They may be taking a good number of fish, but the fact remains that the fish that aren't hook-wounded are thin and small as well.

I'm not back peddling at all and maybe you should get your facts straight you shouldn't assume ones gender from a name as far as making a cake I'm man enough to do it right after o change my oil or skin a deer.

The name calling,blame placing and finger pointing isn't going to fix anything.BARRY

If you didn't get your panties in a bunch after reading my first sentence and read one more sentence , you would have realized I was joking. Backpedaling is exactly what you're doing

When I first heard the news friday i was so upset i also wanted to just throw random blame around. and the Guides who run this site are an easy target. I am 44, have had a summer house on this lake since the day i worn born and have been trolling for salmon since i was about 2 years old. I had been lucky enough to stumble onto this site the same year it started, cant recall exactly when, but I am pretty sure it was 1999 or year 2000. so I have been reading about 20-30 fish catches by these kids for a decade now. I can only seem to catch 5-6 on a good day.?? So last May, i bit the bullet and chartered Cool Water. Funny thing was we only caught 5 or 6 that day as well. However what stands out at me is how he does give a hoot about it all, we released all our fish, he handles them with care, zero hook wounds! If the other guides can handle the fish like he does, then these folks catching huge numbers is not the problem. and this site is not the problem. I read the derby averages 2000 people every year and that seems right. well this site does not have 2000 individual followers, at least i dont think it does? maybe the problem is not with the salmon fisherman who use this site, maybe the problem lies with the hundreds that have not found this site yet and are out there carelessly destroying the fishes mouth's.

2 Quick changes that can happen and not "shut" anyone down would be Mandate Rubber Nets, and all lures can only be single barbless hook (like a streamer fly hook). This would severly cut wounds down!

Lastly, withing my group, we all spoke alot this weekend. we will miss the derby (we believe it is gone for ever) but ultimately we enjoy our "guys salmon fishing weekend" and we see no reason to cancel that special tradition. Our competitive nature along with the derby prizes sure helped us get up at 330 am for 3 days in a row, but now maybe we sleep till 5 and head out at 6! The $30 entry fee per 10 guys, well we will dump that into the local economy anyhow, probably at the wolves tavern!

Dont quit fishing over the derby being cancelled!

Mike Thank You!

Travis
Cool Water

I liked your post Sculpin. And yes don't quit fishing because the derby has been canceled. I'll start off by saying, like most everyone else has stated, that I am not a biologist nor a fishing expert (if there is such a thing)however I will start by saying that each hole that I have looked in this winter has been full of smelt. I hear reports from others I know in the Wolfeboro area tht they are marking lots of bait with depthfinders and viewing them on their underwater cameras. In the open water huge bait schools appeared to be evident. Not sure if the number of bait is an issue. I've heard and read about the fact that rainbow trout are very opportunisitic feeders and that most of mine are caught on plastic crappie tubes. In fact last year during the derby I fished equal numbers of smelt, shiners and worms in the same area and had 0 flags with the smelt, 6 with a shiner and 2 with a worm. I don't perceive rainbow trout as smelt seekers but rather as buffet feeders.
I would hate it if the law stated we could only use 1 line per person since I ordinarily fish alone.
I do like all the dialogue that is occurring but certainly the name calling and mud slinging is really unnecessary.
The lake is only so big and as fishing pressure increases and with that the number of fishing trips calculated per day, it's inevitable that our fishery will take a hit. Perhaps a shorter season to give the fish time recover and not endure the onslaught of boats with lines coming out of their ears would do this fishery a world of good. My 2 cents at this time but certainly all of your conservation suggestions are spot on. I use a rubber net and am in the process of changing my trebles over to single, barbless hooks. Take care everyone and keep the dialogue going!

Chris

Somehow I guess that I am glad I was out of state when this story broke! This has been probably the one yearly activity I have ever taken part of, so the loss is huge for me.

As to name calling, mud slinging and blame. It is the American way to find someone to blame, someone's head to roll when a problem occurs. Painful but true. From my perspective, as long as you are busy blaming and finding fault, you aren't being busy being part of the solution. What a shame. Such a beautiful, fun and life rejuvenating and life affirming activity to sink to this level.

For my part, I believe that NH F&G are responsible for having provided us with the very best fishing conditions in our region over many years, bringing back a fishery that was clearly declining. Our guides have been responsible and ethical role models and leaders. Not destroying their own livelihood seems to make some kind of sense.... I was there when John V answered affirmatively that F&G see's the website as positive only, not negative.

I can only thank this website for information. Not sharing information seems to remind me far too much of the controlling, dictatorships of the past, like the third Reich, some churchs (that I am not going to name or blame) and general ignorance.

Lets all be part of the solution. Tight lines all!