Log On Today - Fish On Tomorrow!

(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: This is Interesting??

I also understand that sales are down on participation. Cost of the derby has increased. As any good BUISNESS they have insured the derby. Start with the low fish count and some rumblings that the fishery is in trouble and before you know it you have a reason to cancel the derby and file a lost income claim.

Fish"N"247
I also understand that sales are down on participation. Cost of the derby has increased. As any good BUISNESS they have insured the derby. Start with the low fish count and some rumblings that the fishery is in trouble and before you know it you have a reason to cancel the derby and file a lost income claim.

I'm not sure just how much the F and G Officers know about what's going on and/or how much they can talk about it if they do, but I'm thinking they don't realy know much and haven't even read the net report yet.

As far as the Derby folks, that could very well be, they might have been looking for an excuse to walk away, makes sense.. But they did attend and witness one of the net pulls at Winni and did not like what they saw, etc. And I believe they did pull a permit for it, just elected not to excersize it, so if they want, they can still run it next year the way I understand it ???

Seems the message board has got off the subject but I know that Fish and Game people are still talking about the problem (even if we aren't) and planning what to do if anything. Trust me if they call a special meeting, we best attend in mass. I've said this before and I'll say it again, there are some powers to be that feel the best way to deal with the problem, is to can the Salmon program, which could also be a good business decision.

Maybe a Salmon stamp will save us if they go that route ????

If there is a meeting in April thereabouts, I'll be there and it's a two hour drive for me. I urge all of you to attend any meeting, we can get what we want if we stick together. Don't forget they work for us, but we have to tell them what we want for a fishery.

Big John

Good points John

come on, 3 replies? almost everyone here was out on the ice this weekend? I cant be the only one who was asking F&G about the May derby? Lets go boys, spill what you heard this weekend!

our group talked with f&g on saturday.did not talk so much about the spring derby as we did the winter derby.his biggest concerne was the practice of catch and release hurting the fish more than anything else.also why do we fish for rainbows in the winter derby,when they are crucing the same spots as salmon.right under the ice .make the winter derby a lake trout derby like it once was and we will stop catching so many salmon through the ice

golfer
our group talked with f&g on saturday.did not talk so much about the spring derby as we did the winter derby.his biggest concerne was the practice of catch and release hurting the fish more than anything else.also why do we fish for rainbows in the winter derby,when they are crucing the same spots as salmon.right under the ice .make the winter derby a lake trout derby like it once was and we will stop catching so many salmon through the ice

I agree

golfer

Not being an ice fisherman I hesitate to comment, but of course I will. Making the Derby more for Lakers, Cusk and White Perch, etc. makes allot sense, you can't do much to hurt those native species.. Allot of the ice fisherman I know that normally troll for Salmon,etc. fish for mostly Perch in the winter ???

The state record Salmon comes out of a lake that does not allow ice fishing, but that could never happen on the bigger Lakes and shouldn't. Many folks live all year waiting for ice fishing, like many of us do for open water fishing..

Big John