(603) 731-1804 / (603) 344-8698

Welcome Fish Lake Winni Anglers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Fly Rod set-up

Link
You most certainly can troll with flyrods. Depending on what line you use, you can use anywhere from a 5 to 6 wt rod up to an 8 or 9 wt if you use leadcore.
Re: level sinking vs. floating, It depends where the fish are. Some use a floating line in the prop wash much of the year. I will use it when the fish are in the top 5 or 10'. Cortland makes a 333 level sinking line. I believe they say it will go down up to 15'. Some will argue this. Of course speed & temp are definite factors. For me leader length will vary on what line I use & how deep you are fishing. There are many more qualified than I to speak on this. You need to know that you need rod holders to accomadate fly rods. Downeasters work. I prefer the "DE" salties. There are a few mounting options on them. The other thing to know is you can buy or make custom fly rods with longer handles to fit in more conventional rod holders.
Hope this helps.
Richard

5 or 6 weight rod 9 foot plus, if your also going to use it in the stream i prefer a 5 wt 9 footer, just trolling my rod of choice is a 6 wt 10.5 foot rod but you need a net person when using the longer rod. for line they make a special trolling line just for what we do, its an 8 wt level sinking line thats 150 feet long, Cortland 333 8w Salmon Trolling Level Line. getting harder to find that line, ask the winni shops, then maybe yoadrian, i think ive heard him mention it before, maybe he has a source. this line isnt for casting so dont worry about matching line weights to rod weights.

I like to troll with a fly rod at times. The Cortland 333 is good line and I run about 30 ft. of mono with a rod lenght of florocarbon. However, I found that with a 6 wt. rod with a matched reel, the reel arbor is too small to gain line fast enough and you may want a large arbor reel. You could use a mooching reel, but they are heavy. Don,t forget to use plenty of good backing. Good Luck and Enjoy. Cal P.

Thank you all for the input it is much appreciated.

I UES A FLY ROD ALL SEASON.IN THE SPRING I USE A 6WT. WITH LEADCORE LINE AND ABOUT 70FT. OF MONO. IN THE SUMMER I USE A 7 TO 9WT. WITH LEADCORE. IT WORK GREAT THE REEL I USE IS A OKOMA 8-9WT.

I checked the Cortland site and I don't see it listed there. It may be out of production.

It looks like this retailer stills has the Cortland Salmon Trolling Line in stock though.

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/maineguideflyshop/Detail?no=363