Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Custody without an attorney

I was wondering if anyone has tried to get custody without having an attorney. I do not have the $3000 to retain the attorney. I divorced two years ago. My ex was abusive physically and emotionally through our marriage. When I first arranged custody, he was being a relatively ok father. In the last two years he has begun to verbally abuse them. He calls the stupid and worthless. He pulls their hair and wakes them up screaming at them in the middle of the night. This happens at least once every two months. I want to try to get custody of them. Right now he has them two nights a week and I have them five. Does anyone have any insight into trying to navigate the custody process without an attorney? I live in North Carolina

Re: Custody without an attorney

Document document document EVERYTHING!!!
Go to your family law facilitator at the court house and seek their advice. Mediation will help you to gain custody, especially if you place all these documented situations into declarations. If you have witnesses to his abuse, have them write out declarations. If you children are old enough, have them write out declarations. Legal aid here in California is set up to help those in low income situations...look into it and see if your state has if as well.
Hope you get more advice from others but that is what I am doing on my end...
be strong~
hugs.