Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Is my second marriage Valid?

I got married about 2 moths ago, recently ive been feeling scared about something i did not do while filling out the marriage license. I did not check the widow box, instead i put single. I did this because i never told my former husband i was married before. My first husband was abusive and i had him arrested for domestic violence issues and he was deported to mexico. this happened about 2 and a half years ago, i found out about one year ago he died. So i figured i'm FREE (i know it sound evil) but i married my Second husband two months ago and right know i'm feeling scared that my second marriage is not valid. should i contact a lawyer? What should I do?

Re: Is my second marriage Valid?

You would be considered widowed if your ex husband had died while you were still married not after the divorce from your first husband was final.

The box you should have checked is divorced, if this was not an option (I am almost positive it was) then you would check single. Some forms don't give the divorce option and only list single.

If I were you I would not be worried about checking the wrong box, they mean the same thing. The only thing that the ocunty would have done when you filed for your marriage license to your 2nd husband is verify that your divorce papers had been filed and that you were legally divorced. If you are sure you are divorced don't worry. If you never got divorced and no paperwork was filed then you should be worried, it is called bigamy and bigamy is illegal.

What I would be worried about is the lie your have told your seocnd husband, not necessarily that you did it but what could possible justify misleading him like this. Marriage is based soley on trust, if I were you I would seek some marital counceling for yourself and explore why you don't trust your husband and forget about the paperwork. The paperwork is minor the lie is more than an indication of major issues.

Good luck, relax and find a good person to talk to, it will all be okay.

Re: Is my second marriage Valid?

Not sure about the legalities regarding the box you ticked but 'Id' said that you may have committed bigamy. I am thinking that if you knew your first husband had died before you got married again then it cant really be classed as bigamy? I am unsure but it sounds like they may have wanted proof (death certificate) that you were in fact widowed.

I do agree with Id that the biggest problem is that you feel unable to tell your husband. Such a secret may come out in the end (presuming a lot of people knew you were married?)and it may be a better option to tell your husband yourself rather than it slipping out a few months/years down the line.

Good luck and hope it works out well for you.