Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: I'm new and suddenly alone

good idea to gather ideas for her!

I would visit battered' women's either in your area or phone calls. I believe? there may be support financially for women going through this because of abuse. (not positive but I think maybe/via schooling, perhaps housing etc)
there's the Y's, maybe give them a call if any close by.
churches, good idea!
YES, make sure that you have support from trusted friends. BUT, legally speaking, I would be careful what you say to who BECAUSE if this man is smart & many times they can be very high IQ but NOT in social relationships... it would be wise to be careful what you say that it could be used against you in court.
In all of this, be wise, as you say, use your knowledge/schooling to your advantage.
Church may be a good place to also get RESOURCES if they know of them for battered women.
Call social security? to see (if you are not working) you qualify for ANY Benefits. TRY TO set up appt with someone (more & more agencies will do phone interviews now for services), to see what you qualify for.
Phone services/ electrical companies many times have discounts for those in financial need.
So do many hospitals & doctors (you usually have to ask they usually do not offer this information)
You may get online to see if any nearby towns have housing for abused women (shelters)..
If you can spend time online searching resources for battered women you might find more than someone you call telling you.. Utilize ALL resources this way of info gathering (just ideas here).
In my state, one is considered separated at the person's moveout date (ie ex moved out, that day is separation date as to legal /bills etc.).
When I did checking # of years ago during one of he crisis times, I found there are some nicer housing facilities for women that are made homeless through battering.. may not be in same town or Real close but you may check it out if you have transportation & can move.
TAKE CARE & yes keep in touch if you are able!
will say a prayer.

You deserve it, ****** I hate women like you.

And suck it up and quit whining.

Great, a cyber bully. If you don't have the ***** to stand up to someone on equal footing you bully them via the internet.

And, for the record, we ******* hate men like you.

My heart goes out to you! I believe Becky had a great idea in reaching out to your local church. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. And this website is great and has helped me as I am going through my separation/divorce. I wish you all the best!

I agree with the others and with you. Sounds like you are taking the necessary steps. Get your SS card and birth certificate replaced, might also want to see what you can do to protect identity theft. Keep fighting, he can't get away with that. Don't blame yourself. I do that too. My stbx is an addict. Wanted out since day one. But I married him for whatever reasons and stayed with him for others. We must forgive ourselves for our choices and decisions. We all make mistakes, no need to persecute ourselves over it. It's done, can't change the past, but we can take control of our present. Look at how you reacted, you went looking for work, you contacted services, you are planning on going to the meeting. You could have buried your head under your blankets and stayed there but you didn't. You stood up. You put that smile on your face and got out. That smile will become real. No way you can be as strong as you are and not come out on top! Lots of prayers are coming your way, something tells me you will absolutely triumph over this and your stbx will be in for a very rude awakening!

I haven't read the replies yet but I suspect that others are saying, you are not alone, can relate, etc.
My ex was a drinker before we met, many years & yep I think it fried his brain that he was angry & mean. I loved him, he loved me but ya can't live on fumes!
I was not his first wife, he was my first husband. He is a non commital type of personality(I later learned).
My ex left me in big time debt, if I did not have family God Only Knows where I would be today. I'm on my own, & have been but they were supportive in my transition (being there & physically helping me out with move).
What I have heard & this was my experience is that a man of this type often one believes that they can save them, that it will be, "different," with us & them. It's not.
My ex took what could have been beautiful (& was) & chopped it to shreds. because? he could.
I don't know. If you can get through the first year or two of this, TRAUMA & I can relate! you'll be FINE. Understand that right now you are going through Major Loss. Be kind to yourself, seek much support & get away from him! He sounds dangerous.
that's my opinion from what you have shared.
Love & reality of what is are 2 different things.
I learned.
I do love my ex still, but I could NEVER be with him again. Like you it is the most loss I have Ever had to go through because of the hugeness of it all.
thanks to the ex. He could have done SO much differently but it would have taken EFFORT on his part. He wasn't into that.
You are not alone.
Hang tough & know that you'll get through this, one step at a time!
TAKE CARE!!!