Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
help

my husband and i have been married for a little over a year and for numerous reasons we have never lived together....i acquired my own apartment and all the furnishings for it..all bought brand new and while i was married...he has never lived at my apartment but thinks that he is entitled to half of everything i have in there.....does anyone know if he is right or is he just trying to scare me into not divorcing him.

Re: help

Did you ever share checking and savings accounts? If yes, than he is probably correct, if no, then he is wrong, it all is yours.
Remember you and he are both enititled to haLF OF each others belongings aquired during the marriage including 401 K money, not just furnishings. You would think that you guys would try living together to see if you could make a go of the marriage prior to splitting after such a short time and after never really being together.

Try to go to your county courthouse, online to see what the laws are for your state. Each state is different as to splitting assets, & that is typically all assets not just contents of your home! If he owns vehicle, has assets, it's split. Again, depends on many factors, mainly your state laws. Also divorce decree breaks down the details.
Get to courthouse website, look up, pro se divorce which gives you a glimpse of the forms that are used in your area. If you can afford a lawyer, I'd get one. If not, u might apply for legal aid.
The laws vary & also the reason for legal divorce is there is judge that makes final decision! all things can be considered.. so don't just assume what he says is so, sounds like he is using/bullying you from what you describe.
Take care.

he wont live with me....his excuses-----i live to close to my family and i need to choose between them or him(he lives with his parents and tells me i need to get away from my family)----he is afraid that his vehicle will get tampered with at my house ( i live right on the highway in a town of maybe 200 people--his parents have camers surrounding there house)---he doesnt like the way i raise my 9 yr old son ( he says i am too easy on him and i should smack his ass for everything he does wrong)---he doesnt have any money and cant afford to live on his own (yet he can afford to go to hte bars and buy stupid stuff all the time)...basically he is a waste of my time. i am done trying i put everything i had into this marriage and i am just over it.

Can this be annulled? I have no idea what that takes??? There is information on this site about this, but I haven't read it. Sounds like you have made a wise decision in just getting out. Best wishes to you.

John,

A new year a new idiot.

Don't you wonder what kind of man would have the time to read the posts on a site like this? Says a lot right there.

That Becky was my first thought followed quickly by 'and this is why this site is needed in the first place'.

Abbey, it appears as though John was up early with us and pulled his post. It takes all kinds.

Lols I never even noticed but yes, he must have had a second thought (he may have used his 'thought' quota really early that day).

Huzzah, let's hear it for MODs!! :) That's their job -- troll-catching!!

Silly question but who are the Mods? They are really low key, brilliantly run site but a bit unusual regarding Mods.

I didnt even realise the Mods had removed it, I thought Becky meant that he had removed it himself. Its nice to know that mods do keep an eye but would be interesting to know who they are. Just my thoughts.

Abbey, I don't know for a fact that the guy had removed his own post - although, gosh, wouldn't that be nice! :) There are people who join sites just to "troll" them, as in leave mean comments and be jerks in general. Looks as though this "John" fella was one of those, and the Mods usually review the posts and remove the offensive ones. I don't know who the Mods are for this site; I've only recently seem posts from them. :)

I am not a lawyer but anything purchased while married-- generally the spouse is entitled to 50%. Get a lawyer and check.

I'm not a lawyer, either, but I do know that community property laws are different from state to state; sometimes there's a certain amount of time that you must be married before 50/50 kicks in, but it can begin from day 1 depending on where you are. The state I live in is an "equitable-settlement" state. This means that a reasonable division of property must be agreed upon. I'd take Katie's advice, though, and seek out a good lawyer! And remember -- "good" doesn't always mean "OMG expensive". Good luck!

It depends on the laws of the State. In PA, once separated-everything purchased & earned after the separation your spouse isnt entitled to!