Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Stress

I have my first uncontested divorce hearing in 24 days. I am flying my mom up to testify to the facts, and I am not sure what will happen. I'm so nervous and confused. Any advice?

Re: Stress

Pray, that always helps! Good Luck

I agree, praying helps! Remind yourself that stressing over it will do nothing except hurt yourself. You cannot worry about things in the future that might or might not happen. Unless there is something specific you must do to prepare, focus your energies on today, and just trust that all will be fine. If any issue comes up, it'll come up on that day, not before, and know that you will be able to handle it. Force the thoughts away and fill your mind with good, positive thoughts. I know it's hard but it really does work. Good luck, sending you peace.

Hi there,

That's the thing. I feel like I have to prepare, but months ago I felt like all I had to do was wait for the court date. Everything felt fine, but now that the date is coming up I'm just worrying that I am missing something or I should have prepared for something sooner. It's similar to how you feel when you are "nesting" before you have a baby. I will keep your advice in mind. I mean, if something does go wrong, I can always try to fix it right? I don't like not knowing

I am guessing you don't have a lawyer? I don't know, sorry, I am not at this step yet. Maybe try posting a new topic and asking people what their experiences were at the first hearing? I wish I could be of some help. Try calling for free consultation with a lawyer if you don't have one. Many will do this over the phone. Or try calling a mediator. Just say you want to know what to expect at the first hearing of an uncontested divorce, how to best prepare. You still have time. I really wish I could be of more help. Keep asking around. Maybe you'll find something you should do or maybe you'll find there is nothing else to do. Either way you'll have peace of mind and be able to walk in there with confidence. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers, that's all I can do.

Good for you that your Mom is coming to be with you. When I went for our settlement hearing I was a nervous wreak for weeks ahead of time also. One of my best friends took the day off and drove 2 1/2 hours each way to be with me. Even got a laugh because his lawyer yelled at him when he was having a fit over what the Judge thought was reasonable. Hang in there. It's going to be okay in the long run.