Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: What age can a child have decisions to their visitations

You know I know that they say a relationship with both parents is needed to have a healthy happy child...but seriously I could handle my ex not being in my boys life. He is doing more harm then good to them by taking bad about me, being nasty to me when they are around and by not coming to get them when he is to get them. My 9 yr old son told me tonight that he is happy dad didn't pick them up this weekend, he loves being home with me. He told me his brother told him the same thing. Daddy's GF has kids and when my boys are there the girls get treated better. It's their house they should be able to do what they want, so they play with my kids stuff and break it before my kids even get a chance to play with it.
Who ever said that the Father should have the right to see their kids didn't meet my ex...

Lisa-Jerk isn't nearly as horrible as your ex, but I completely agree. Having a relationship with a parent that is a bad influence really isn't healthy for children. When Jerk was refusing to pay child support my attorney made it very clear to me that not paying child support would not affect the visitation. If a dad is a deadbeat, is that the role model kids need? We all know better.

Jerk often refers to the time he is ENTITLED to. Not what's best for the kids, not what the kids want, not even what he wants really, but what he's ENTITLED to. It's a power game-and at the expense of innocent babies.

The Flea can't accept the fact, that he gets to call only at 9pm to say good nite to our son. He said it is not fair. I put my son on a schedule for homework and free time. I even schedule dinner and snack. Now the Flea is not happy, but my son IS. So who cares about what The Flea wants.

My ex throw that ENTITLED TO line at me all the time. Just today he said it a dozen times.
"I'm ENTITLED TO time with my kids
-THEN TAKE IT!
"I'm ENTITLED TO keep you here"
-Then why did you move when you had me moved back?
"I'm ENtiTLED TO want my kids to spend time with my Mother"
-Then take them there!
Blah blah blah blah blah
He is entitled to anything he wants but doesn't take. He is entitled to blame me for his short comings, I don't have to listen to him because when I filed for divorce I ENTITLED MYSELF to a life WITHOUT him!
I just wish he would drop off the face of the earth today

Jerk could keep him company there.

They would all get along great. They all think, they are entitle to everything but don't take the time to they really want. I know it is just the control, they are use to. NO MORE!!!!!!!!

You are so right about the control issue. I have an out-of-town funeral to attend on Monday. I need to leave my house before the kids are even up for school on Monday. I called Jerk and asked if he'd be able to get the kids on the bus if I were to need that on Monday. His response? "You don't usually get them on the bus, do you?" No, but I have them ready to get on the bus, then check to make sure they've gone to the bus stop, then get a call from them when they're getting on the bus. So I keep very close tabs on them. (I leave for work 15-30 minutes before the bus comes.

Well, he GUESSED he could do that. Could he come right at the time they are getting up... WHATEVER. Making is sound like he'd be doing me a big favor.

So I called a girlfriend. She's gonna spend the night Sunday night, get my kids up and off to school Monday morning. I can leave when I need to and I don't have to worry about the kids.

Jerk called last night. So you NEED me to come and stay with the kids Monday morning, right? It felt very good to say "NOPE. I've taken care of it. Don't you worry about it. I know how you hate getting up early. I wouldn't want to impose." Then he was practically begging me to get up early Monday morning. Yep, he was disarmed, NOT in control of the situation. Hey, I offered you the opportunity to spend time with your kids. Sleep well.

Imagine all the men who have hurt the woman here in one spot...I'll start getting the chemicals for the bomb you want to bring the wine?

I don't know what the laws are in your state but when my stepson wanted to come live with us due to emotional abuse I discovered that in the state of Washington it was NOT up to them at ANYTIME. We had believed they could choose at 13. To change custody we would have had to prove that she was an unfit parent. It's not a easy thing to do and can become very UGLY. End of our story was we got him by agreeing to not make her pay support.

Big question is WHY do they not want to visit with him. Is he abusing them in some form? Is it that he bad mouths you and they are tired of hearing it? Is it that he has more behavior rules then you? Sorry had to ask that one because the same child went back to live with his BM after several years because we made him do things like clean his room, make his bed every day, let us know where he was, expect him to be home on time and do his homework. I hated letting him go back and it wasn't what was BEST for him (grades dropped, has responsibility issues, struggling as an adult to make good decisions)but we had always said it was up to him. Just wasn't going to play the bounce back and forth game. Is there a second family involved that gets treated better?

I have been on both sides of this fence. Helped raise HIS kids (who love and respect me)and ours are left struggling to figure out where they fit in his new life.

Know it may be a money issue but are there child advocates available that could help you? Ask your Lawyer or check with Social Services.

I wish you and your kids luck in doing what is best for them.

In the Uk we apply something called 'Gillick competence' it is about judging the understanding and maturity needed in a child to make their decision.

Each child is different obviously but instead of a one age fits all rule, it is based on level of maturity and understanding. My son is 9 but I beleieve he would be found competent if asked for his reasons why he didnt want to see his dad.

I think its disgraceful that the voice of children so often goes unheard/ignored.

ps
Ill bring the chocolates