Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help

I talked to a lawyer about my agreement with my ex. I have a court hearing coming up, and there are a few things I am worried about.

One is that the lawyer said I have to have proof that the ex and I were not together for a year before I filed. I don't have proof. I didn't tell anyone I was getting divorced, and there hasn't been any witnesses who can testify to this. My mom is flying up to testify, and she knows we have not been together, but the lawyer said that might not be good enough. I live in MD and my ex is now in PA. Can you tell me how necessary it is to proove this? I only have an apartment lease from of mine from 2009 that has my name on it alone...

Another thing I am worried about is including the child support amount in the agreement. He said that I would have to include the amount in the agreement, but that I need to calculate it. My ex said he only makes $250/week in gross income. He said he has proof of this, but how do I calculate this? If child support doesn't seem to be enough is this going to be a problem? Apparently then I have to get a stipulation agreement where he agrees to pay the amount of child support. Are there forms for that or can I just include it in the agreement?

Court date is in two weeks.

Re: Help

The proof of separation date (the day you or your husband moved) would be postal. You can somehow ? get a copy of this record. Of course one of the two of you would have to have forwarded mail.

Another couple of things that can be helpful for hard copy evidence.. you can sign up for one of the background search places online/ run from like $10 +. You can google to see which one gives you most info for the money. You can find out some sig facts perhaps that would be helpful! You might have to pay a bit more to get more info... but in the longrun it would be worth it.
ALSO, you could ? find out some addresses & dates for the ex, as to where he lived & rec'd mail!

As to your own records, the credit agencies have a report for about $39/ which you can print from all 3 agencies/ you can actually get these reports for free once a year (of course this is general knowledge) but the $39 prints it all out nicely together...

I'll say a prayer! Take care.

Wow, this really sucks. I told him to forward his mail, but he didn't, so when I forwarded the family mail to my new place, he is still getting his mail here. Of course, I never give him his mail because we never see each other, so I just shred it. He is not good about stuff like that. In fact, he still has his old Florida driver's license. He lived in MD for a little while, but with coworkers or friends, and none of them speak English. He lives in PA now, and that's basically the only proof I have, and my lease from 2009. I'm currently renting out a basement.

I'm really really upset about this because I never wanted to freakin marry him. I was 17 and I had no family, and I felt threatened. WTF. I'm so upset. I'm supposed to be moving in two months. If this divorce doesn't go through, I'm going to have to wait, or start the divorce in SC, which will take another freakin year or so, because I have to live there for a year before I can file.

Try doing some digging online to find out if you can track him, via background check, for legal/divorce purposes. You may be able to find some hard evidence of his other addresses this way, which may? prove he has lived elsewhere.
There's a lot of information online as to court /divorce procedures at local court websites.
Take care!

Certainly he had to have had some things going to his new address, didn't he? He had to have had some bills. Can any of those be tracked? Good luck.

Did you file taxes separately in 2010.