Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Phone Call

Well, I have to contact my stbx in regards to filing taxes, attorney fees and other paperwork. I dread contacting him. He has just written me off like I don't exist and I am handling everything even though he is the one who wanted the divorce. I am stressing myself out over this but, I just have to bite the bullet and do it. He always acts like nothing has happened and talks to me like he did before all of this. It is so hurtful after 15 years to see him be so OK with everything. Anyway I am making the phone call tomorrow - I have to! Just needed to share this with someone. Thanks for listening to me.

Re: Phone Call

I understand your emotions completely. I, too, find it very hurtful that our divorce doesn't seem to phase Jerk at all. In the same breath he makes it all about him. Any trouble the kids have is "because of our situation." They are kids, and they will have their own problems because they are growing up. He seems to think everything is all about him. I don't blame you for dreading this phone call. I was just thinking tonight that I needed to find out if he wanted to file jointly for one more year. I haven't had the nerve to address this one yet. Let us know how he reacts. Be strong and smile. He'll hear it in your voice and wonder what YOU have been up to.

Are ou sure you have to contact him about the taxes. The IRS told me while I was separated, if it had been more than the last 6 months of the yeat that I could file head of household, if I had children and single if I had none, I did not have to file married.
In my case there was no way in he!!!! I was contacting him just to file taxes. If yours has been less than 6 months perhaps you could get whatever infomration you need or give any information you need to from your attorney.
Just the thought of contacting him today, after 6 years still makes me want to throw up. I wonder if this feeling will ever end or if it is just pure disgust.

Really, be cautious, and if you have a lawyer, consult with them before calling. I had the paperwork all drawn up, very very clear (I thought) for last year's tax return, and the weasel found a way to cut me right out of the benefit and take it all for himself. Beware the loophole that says "any joint return" -- that's where he found that if he filed head of household or married/separate, all the money would come to him. Oh, and did it ever. I never saw, nor shall I see, one thin dime.

Hmmm. In my case it was actually my attorney that suggested a joint return. Probably because he took such a loss on his business last year. I'll proceed with caution. Thanks for the heads up.

I don't HAVE to file jointly, but it may be beneficial for both of us if we did. He had started a business that took a loss, so I'm pretty positive it would be better for me. I'll take a financial break anyway I can get it.

I have told The Flea I am filing separated They told me that as long as it was for my benefit, I could just do it. I called several Tax places and asked. I told them my situation and they told me if I did not want to file with him I did not have to. So now I am filing alone with my two kids, mediation papers my son lives with me, I don't think he liked that.