Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Just a thought

I was sitting here think about the usual dumb things. And I was wondering if anyone knows the laws on changing the children's last name? I know you can petition the courts to have their last names changed but I was wondering if anyone know the reasons you can do this?
He has no real relationship with them and if things continue the way they are I would rather they carry my last name then his.
Any input would be nice
It's not like I'm gonna rush to the courts to get it done just one of them dumb thoughts that travel around in my head
Just exploring ALL options

Re: Just a thought

Depending on where you live, there doesn't often need to be a reason. If you can pay the court fee for the change you're requesting, it seems fairly unlikely that you will need to provide a concrete reason - but, if you're asked, you do have one!

Re: Just a thought

I guess I will need to look into this some more..I know my SIL wants to have her daughter's name changed to our last name. Her daughter's father hasn't seen her since she was 2, and my SIL is afraid to contact him I was telling her that I seen that online and she wants to see what she can do to.