Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kids' insurance question

Hi, just a little background info: been divrced a year, live in TX ex is ncp and is required to provide reasonable health care insurance. He pays less than $200 a week in child support for two kids. He makes about 50,000 a year. His work only provides HSA accounts with high deductible insurance. The deductible is $5000. It pays nothing until that $5000 is reached. It does give 1 well baby visit a year covered. He does not use the HSA account to pay for any expenses and I feel with him only paying $17 a month to be in this plan he could pay more and get a better insurance plan. with my income, I could get CHIPS, but with them being on his, the kids can't. One of my children has ADHD and just her meds are $70 a month. I have to pay 50% of what the insurance doesn't pay, which is nothing!!! This winter, just my portion was $350 for two kids between doctors and prescriptions. Do I have any recourse? I talked to a lawyer on the phone and she said if that is the only insurance offered at his work then that's fine. I feel it is more of a discount plan like they have on TV then insurance.

Re: Kids' insurance question

It sounds like your ex makes more money than you do. In our agreement-yet to be finalized but drawn up with both attorneys present-as the custodial parent I pay the first $250 in medical expenses a year for each child. After that he pays the percentage towards the bill that he pays in child support. So he's paying 61%, me 39%. I do carry the health insurance for the kids which is really pretty good. If he is making more than you, could the agreement be amended to reflect your incomes? That isn't a fix for the insurance issue but it would help. Just a thought.