Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A question

Hello
When I hire a lawyer if the lawyer tells me not to withdraw any money until the divorce is finalized from the joint account should I just do it ? Or follow the lawyer instructions ? I do have proof of how much money we have together (copies of the bank statements)
What do you think ?
Thank you again

Hypothetically speaking do what's best for you financially. Do you work, do you have means to support yourself thru what will be a long complicated process without access to any of that money that is in that joint account? If not, withdrawal it OR you are trusting your narcissistic ex to do the right thing (which we know all toooo well they are incapable of doing MOST of the time).
Until either of you file for divorce that money is fair game, it belongs to both of you to do with as you wish. Meaning either of you can withdrawal it-some of it- all of it (I'm not sure which state you live in as each state has different laws pertaining to community property regimes)
There doesn't have to be an account of where money goes until someone files for divorce- that's when your community of acquets & gains terminates. Once the divorce is filed any money, assets, property that is disposed of, there has to be a record of it & the other party must agree to it. Generally when a party is "sued" for divorce there is writing in the petition that restrains either party from doing the above.
So to answer your question- if you are going to make a withdrawal do it sooner rather than later. If you are planning your exit, I'd make this part of your exit plan & make it your first stop (getting to the bank that is)

Hi Monica Harris

Thank you for responding

I live in California

We work together as husband and wife as property management all the income goes to the joint account

(I do not have any personal not even my husband have a separate banking account) only joint
So if I need to pay utilities , gas, property taxes etc... these payments bills is usually withdrawn from the joint account even if I have to spend money for myself .

Hello,
I am very sorry for your pain. I stayed in a marriage for far too long because of being scared of being able to take care of myself. My ex intimidated me badly during the divorce and stole millions of dollars on the process. No matter how hard it is, get out first of all. Then, get a great attorney who will protect you and think of everything that he could possibly do to harm you or cheat you. It is worth it in the end. Please don’t make the same mistakes that I did.

Hi Michelle
I am so sorry what you went through :(
But how did he got away
And you ended up with nothing
During any divorce it should have been 50/50 right?
Wish you the best of everything 🙏