Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Divorce in California

Hi, I am looking for some advice/help. My husband filed a divorce unexpectedly. We have been married for 5yrs but I havent been working and just been a full time student, he was paying for all the bills. He had different bank accounts that I never had access to and same with me but we have a joint account where he puts money for lil spending in the house. He hired a lawyer to do the paperwork for him and I have 30days to respond to the summon I received but he was asking for all my financial stuff. He also made bank accounts under my name where he put money on but I was not aware till I saw it recently. He hired private investigator to follow me around and he is nasty to me. I dont want to even go after his money but he's not the nicest to me and it was unexpected so I am not prepared and is about to be broke. Any advise would help. Thank you!

Re: Divorce in California

Get a lawyer! If you cant afford it borrow the money from family or friends. Get a credit card & put it on it if you have to. DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO. Do not do this without an attorney! You will regret it.
It sounds like your ex is a pretty shady person & you need not do this alone.
I do not know Cali law so I'm no help with that but if you aren't working and can't support yourself financially I'm sure you could get spousal support (his summons that included wanting to see your financial stuff indicates to me he's trying to keep from having to pay any kind of support).
My advise is DO NOT sign anything without having a lawyer. Many attorneys will do free consultations, try that.
Best of luck

Re: Divorce in California

Hi, A new alternative to help you with your divorce process and papers is SquareFairy (https://squarefairy.com). SquareFairy software was created with the help of licensed attorneys and designed with the goal of being the easiest way to start a California Divorce procedure and get it done right. And its all for free (no hidden costs).

You can send them a message and they will connect you with experienced attorneys who will charge reasonably (fixed price). This service is just for California for now.