Womans Divorce Forum

Discuss your troubles, compare ex's, offer suggestions, and share stories!

Womans Divorce Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How to face an abuse ex in mediation

Subject line says it all. I have to go to mediation. Full day. And it across from a person who abused me for a long time.

I am terrified.

How does one prepare for this? How do i survive sitting across from him for a day? Thankfully i havent seen him in almost 2yrs. But it is dredging up all sorts of emotions for me now.

An awful process to go through.

Thnx

Re: How to face an abuse ex in mediation

Do you have a lawyer. My ex tried to kill me. There was a restraining order which allowed me to be in a different room. The lawyers just went back and forth. Speak up and let the powers that be know of your fears

Yes. I have a lawyer

Problem is. My ex is a lawyer

It might help to speak with a therapist. I know it must be scary that your husband is a lawyer so also share your thoughts with your lawyer. Have they had this come up before with one spouse being a lawyer? You need emotional support - therapist AND knowledge - lawyer

Husband is a lawyer

He is a well no criminal trial attorney. Getting ready to either do mediation or go to court, of course at the same court house that he's been working for 20 years. He's refusing to pay any support of any kind at this point. He will not communicate with me. We have a house that he changed the locks on, has all my stuff there including my daughter who passed away last October her pictures, things from her funeral etc. He's been a nightmare

Re: Husband is a lawyer

Hes paid all the bills since 2008, I have no income.

We faced off. And the entire time he played the victim. Complete. Total. Narcissistic move.

Thank god mediator saw right through it. He did nothing but take pot shot after pot shot at me for an hour till they put me in a separate room.

Mediator asked me if marriage was abusive. Said yes. Everything but physical.

Mediator smiled and nodded.

I think they understood.

Still have another mediation session in a week.

1st off, you did it. Feel your strength!
2nd, I understand. Mine is the same way. We are not as far along in the process as you are, but my ex is a narc and blames me for everything too. I’m terrified to be in the same room and have him dominate the conversation and win them over. He will paint himself as the victim, talk over me, and then I get flustered and lose my train of thought. I have to write notes sometimes so I remember to say certain things. It’s so hard! I am so sorry you are going through this. You’re doing great. I am so happy you have support and they see right through him.

Congrats,
You got this.