Visit The DBoard Online Store - https://www.cafepress.com/icehockeydboard

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

Girls Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bad tier 1 vs Good tier 2

There doesn't seem to be a difference, or at least if there is then it's not the difference I expected. My daughter played "tier 1" last year on a pretty crappy and this year she's on a very good tier 2 team and quite frankly it's better hockey. What is with all this tier hype?

Re: Bad tier 1 vs Good tier 2

For 12/14/16/19 Tier I - at most levels it is Wizards & Eagles at top with an occasional Breakers, Spitfires or Assabet Team.

No one outside those 5 programs are ever really a factor for a National Bound Tier I title - putting aside last year's NAHA 19U Tier I.

Flames, Islanders, Vipers, Wings, etc. just Tier I in name only.

Eagles and Wizards Tier II teams are usually on par or better than the rest of the "Tier I" programs.

Will be interesting to see where Valley and Lovell programs are in next few seasons and whether NAHA can sustain.

Anon
For 12/14/16/19 Tier I - at most levels it is Wizards & Eagles at top with an occasional Breakers, Spitfires or Assabet Team.

No one outside those 5 programs are ever really a factor for a National Bound Tier I title - putting aside last year's NAHA 19U Tier I.

Eagles and Wizards Tier II teams are usually on par or better than the rest of the "Tier I" programs.

Will be interesting to see where Valley and Lovell programs are in next few seasons and whether NAHA can sustain.

Fairly reasonable and actual accurate description I would say. for the most part the girls that are in any of those five programs at the U 12 age level are the same ones that are in the top programs at the U 16 level.

Having said that, if your daughter has any aspiration of playing college hockey she would have to play T1 at the 16 level the latest.

Anon
Anon

No one outside those 5 programs are ever really a factor for a National Bound Tier I title - putting aside last year\'s NAHA 19U Tier I.

Eagles and Wizards Tier II teams are usually on par or better than the rest of the \"Tier I\" programs.

Fairly reasonable and actual accurate description I would say. for the most part the girls that are in any of those five programs at the U 12 age level are the same ones that are in the top programs at the U 16 level.

Having said that, if your daughter has any aspiration of playing college hockey she would have to play T1 at the 16 level the latest.
Agree. Only part I would add is the Wizards. They had girls D1 committed who were playing Tier 2 19u. It's a factory. Too many good girls and therefore not enough spots. How do you tell a committed D1 kid they need to play Tier2? I think those types of girls will leave for other Tier 1 programs in the future.

anon
Anon
Anon

No one outside those 5 programs are ever really a factor for a National Bound Tier I title - putting aside last year\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s NAHA 19U Tier I.

Eagles and Wizards Tier II teams are usually on par or better than the rest of the \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Tier I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" programs.

Agree. Only part I would add is the Wizards. They had girls D1 committed who were playing Tier 2 19u. It\\\'s a factory. Too many good girls and therefore not enough spots. How do you tell a committed D1 kid they need to play Tier2? I think those types of girls will leave for other Tier 1 programs in the future.
Wizards are deep - but not that deep - to have true D1 commits playing 19U Tier II.

If you are talking New England Women's Hockey Alliance D1 (former D2) maybe - but not Hockey East, CHA, ECAC, WCHA.

Anon
anon
Anon
Anon

No one outside those 5 programs are ever really a factor for a National Bound Tier I title - putting aside last year\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s NAHA 19U Tier I.

Eagles and Wizards Tier II teams are usually on par or better than the rest of the \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Tier I\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" programs.

Agree. Only part I would add is the Wizards. They had girls D1 committed who were playing Tier 2 19u. It\\\\\\\'s a factory. Too many good girls and therefore not enough spots. How do you tell a committed D1 kid they need to play Tier2? I think those types of girls will leave for other Tier 1 programs in the future.
Wizards are deep - but not that deep - to have true D1 commits playing 19U Tier II.

If you are talking New England Women's Hockey Alliance D1 (former D2) maybe - but not Hockey East, CHA, ECAC, WCHA.
I don't know a lot about them but I do know the goalie on 19-2 from last years Wizards team was committed to Dartmouth at the time.

A question, do the top girls at wizards and eagles play on the tier 1 teams (major Jeff 1 and maroon) every year? Or they switch between tier 1 and tier 2 (major 2 and gold) because of two years in each age group.

Anon
A question, do the top girls at wizards and eagles play on the tier 1 teams (major Jeff 1 and maroon) every year? Or they switch between tier 1 and tier 2 (major 2 and gold) because of two years in each age group.
I can't speak for the Eagles, but at the Wizards there will be a handful of kids that jump from major 1 to major 1, but most of them are 2s in their minor year and 1s in their major year.

Wiz Kid
Anon
I can't speak for the Eagles, but at the Wizards there will be a handful of kids that jump from major 1 to major 1, but most of them are 2s in their minor year and 1s in their major year.
^^^ correct. My oldest played there and went between 1 and 2 team every other year. Plays 2nd line D1 now.

Tier Hyperactive
There doesn't seem to be a difference, or at least if there is then it's not the difference I expected. My daughter played "tier 1" last year on a pretty crappy and this year she's on a very good tier 2 team and quite frankly it's better hockey. What is with all this tier hype?
Depends on what your daughter wants and some reasonable reality. If your daughter wants to play and have fun, have her play with her friends. If she loves to compete, then you should be looking at the Eagles or the Wizards. Better competition at practice during each drill. If she wants to play college hockey, then that’s an absolute must. One thing in terms of getting noticed and and another by competing at that level against other national teams.

Beyond that, it’s harder to break onto to either of those top teams later unless your kid really stands out. You really want your daughter to be comfortable at the U16 level with the new recruiting rules. If she’s not an early commit, I’d be a little leary of team shopping. This is why I would avoid the programs that can’t compete at the U19 level.

The one team to keep any eye is NAHA. I don’t like their business model, but they are developing some kids. It’s a high price, in terms of money, educational quality, and social development.

Anon
Tier Hyperactive
There doesn\'t seem to be a difference, or at least if there is then it\'s not the difference I expected. My daughter played \"tier 1\" last year on a pretty crappy and this year she\'s on a very good tier 2 team and quite frankly it\'s better hockey. What is with all this tier hype?
Depends on what your daughter wants and some reasonable reality. If your daughter wants to play and have fun, have her play with her friends. If she loves to compete, then you should be looking at the Eagles or the Wizards. Better competition at practice during each drill. If she wants to play college hockey, then that’s an absolute must. One thing in terms of getting noticed and and another by competing at that level against other national teams.

Beyond that, it’s harder to break onto to either of those top teams later unless your kid really stands out. You really want your daughter to be comfortable at the U16 level with the new recruiting rules. If she’s not an early commit, I’d be a little leary of team shopping. This is why I would avoid the programs that can’t compete at the U19 level.

The one team to keep any eye is NAHA. I don’t like their business model, but they are developing some kids. It’s a high price, in terms of money, educational quality, and social development.
I hear the same about NAHA all the time. They certainly produce top players. I have asked about cost before and have heard everything from $30k to 70K. Anyone know the real #?

anon
Anon
Tier Hyperactive
There doesn\\\\\\\'t seem to be a difference, or at least if there is then it\\\\\\\'s not the difference I expected. My daughter played \\\\\\\"tier 1\\\\\\\" last year on a pretty crappy and this year she\\\\\\\'s on a very good tier 2 team and quite frankly it\\\\\\\'s better hockey. What is with all this tier hype?

I hear the same about NAHA all the time. They certainly produce top players. I have asked about cost before and have heard everything from $30k to 70K. Anyone know the real #?
I’ve heard the 30k thrown about a few times. I know the Selects, Bishop Kearney experiment was in the 30K range as well. Not sure how you could charge prep school fees with online classes, but that’s just my opinion.

Anon
anon
Anon
Tier Hyperactive
There doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t seem to be a difference, or at least if there is then it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s not the difference I expected. My daughter played \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"tier 1\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" last year on a pretty crappy and this year she\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s on a very good tier 2 team and quite frankly it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s better hockey. What is with all this tier hype?

I hear the same about NAHA all the time. They certainly produce top players. I have asked about cost before and have heard everything from \$30k to 70K. Anyone know the real #?
I’ve heard the 30k thrown about a few times. I know the Selects, Bishop Kearney experiment was in the 30K range as well. Not sure how you could charge prep school fees with online classes, but that’s just my opinion.
Add another 20.

Anon
anon
Anon
Tier Hyperactive
There doesn\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t seem to be a difference, or at least if there is then it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s not the difference I expected. My daughter played \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"tier 1\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" last year on a pretty crappy and this year she\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s on a very good tier 2 team and quite frankly it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s better hockey. What is with all this tier hype?

I hear the same about NAHA all the time. They certainly produce top players. I have asked about cost before and have heard everything from \$30k to 70K. Anyone know the real #?
Prep schools are not $30k unless they are giving you money. At best if you're a day student you'll be in the $40s, and at best if you board then you're in the $50s. For the majority of the preps it's mid $40s (day) and mid $60s (board)