Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What more proof do you need?

To kill the "Super 8?"

As momentum builds to create a "Public School State Championship" and a "Private School Championship" you need to take a look at the publics trying to compete with the private schools. Let's be honest, it;'s not fair to either side of the battle. The virtual 'all-star' teams the private schools can assemble need to play other 'all-star' teams. The publics don't deserve to be embarrassed trying to play 20-25 kids all from the same town against the privates that can assemble (i.e. recruit) kids from an entire region. It's idiocy that they face each other.

An oh, there will never be another public to win the Super 8, the landscape has changed far too much and it's not going to happen.

Re: What more proof do you need?

anon
To kill the "Super 8?"

As momentum builds to create a "Public School State Championship" and a "Private School Championship" you need to take a look at the publics trying to compete with the private schools. Let's be honest, it;'s not fair to either side of the battle. The virtual 'all-star' teams the private schools can assemble need to play other 'all-star' teams. The publics don't deserve to be embarrassed trying to play 20-25 kids all from the same town against the privates that can assemble (i.e. recruit) kids from an entire region. It's idiocy that they face each other.

An oh, there will never be another public to win the Super 8, the landscape has changed far too much and it's not going to happen.

Uh, maybe if the publics stopped whining about the big, bad Catholic schools and actually hired coaches who know how to coach and played kids based on their skill, not their seniority or because their dad is in the same beer league as the coach they could actually compete. There's no magic at the Catholic schools--just look at Xaverian, CM and Archie's. They suck as much as most publics for the same reasons.

Take 10 kids from the top D-I north final two teams, take 10 kids from the final two D-I South teams (you know, have kids from various towns all on one team) and have them play the 'Super 8 Champion' and the publics would smoke them 8-10 games.

anon
Take 10 kids from the top D-I north final two teams, take 10 kids from the final two D-I South teams (you know, have kids from various towns all on one team) and have them play the 'Super 8 Champion' and the publics would smoke them 8-10 games.

No chance without a better coach than any of those 4 teams would have.

No proof. Why change it? I love it when the publics win the Super 8, or at least get real close, like when Reading rolled to a super 8 title and pasted three Catholics to win a few years back and then Hingham did it. Not many private schools can lay claim to a super 8 title. St John's just won their first one last year. MC was never in it until their modern dynasty, Cathedral/Pope Francis never has, nor have most private/catholic schools. Meantime, a town team like Reading has like the fourth most Super8 appearances of any school in its history. They rarely win, but publics can and have won it, and it makes it all the more sweeter when they do.
If anything, get rid of the stupid tournament and run the north south brackets like the old days. The two best teams always rise to the top

"I love it when the publics win the Super 8, or at least get real close..."

Gramps, I have news for you....the times have changed and it will not happen again in your lifetime.

Wait until your kid gets to middle school and watch the C.C. coaches coaching at the summer tournaments pulling kids aside and recruiting them; watch as the coaches have full squads all made-up of their rostered middle school and h.s. players playing together while the public kids are all at the beach; watch as the C.C. coaches make the phone calls to junior teams and colleges for their players while the public coaches have them all dancing around in a field during the summer as their 'off ice training.' Watch as the public coaches need to work on raising booster money and navigate Title 9 issues that come with co-ed schools while the C.C. schools can cash 'donor checks' and pick from their 1,600 boys at the school.

The players and parents have seen the change, the MIAA and the coaches outside of the powerhouse programs have not... and until they do the Super 8 will remain the "State Private School Championship."

You will see it again. Trust me. Only seven different teams have ever won the Super 8 and two of them are publics and both won in the past eight years. The recruiting has been going on for decades. It's nothing new. Four of those seven teams have only won it once.

Times have changed and the MIAA and the amatuer coaches can't see it. Not happening again.

BOOM! One public shoe drops, one to go.

Boom! Catholic School Championship AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaallllll Set.

there will 100% be another public to win the super 8. It didn't show this year but it showed in 14-15 season. Both Woburn and Franklin lost to Springfield Cathedral and MC by one and franklin lost by 6 or 7 a week earlier to MC!!!! Public schools have some sort of boost when they play in the super 8 that helps them out. Proof: Franklin lost by 6 or 7 to MC last week of season then loses 2-1 in the super 8. You get a few lucky bounces and thats a Franklin win. I will admit it is harder now to win a super 8 as a public because of the new format. When they had a round robin it was much easier. Now, smart catholic coaches can draw up ways to squash the 5 or 6 good players that a public has in game 2. (yes a public will have 5 or 6 good players if they're playing in the 8) Wait 15 years and there will be a public champion.

No one would have predicted how skewed it would become just in the last five years but the trend is not going to change unless the MIAA makes the change. 15 years? Who is going to wait that long?

Hitthepost
No proof. Why change it? I love it when the publics win the Super 8, or at least get real close, like when Reading rolled to a super 8 title and pasted three Catholics to win a few years back and then Hingham did it. Not many private schools can lay claim to a super 8 title. St John's just won their first one last year. MC was never in it until their modern dynasty, Cathedral/Pope Francis never has, nor have most private/catholic schools. Meantime, a town team like Reading has like the fourth most Super8 appearances of any school in its history. They rarely win, but publics can and have won it, and it makes it all the more sweeter when they do.
If anything, get rid of the stupid tournament and run the north south brackets like the old days. The two best teams always rise to the top

Ok, to your point. Every so often a public team comes along and competes and on a rare occasion wins the Super 8.

By separating the Public and Catholic Championships and allowing the Champions to play each other at the end of the year should settle the debate. This way the Public anomaly will surely roll through the Public Championship and have the opportunity to win the whole thing.

Minnesota has the best and purest system, although things have changed out there in recent times.