The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Play like you practice

Heard from Hingham parent that the varsity brought up a bunch of JV players to their practices last week and did no game prep at all for PF even though they played them pretty tight in the regular season (4-1 with ENG)--that might explain why they looked like a JV team versus PF yesterday. PF coach said they worked hard in practice for last 10 days and it certainly showed.

Re: Play like you practice

I think the JV squad put their gear away a long time ago in Hingham so it's hard to say if that was the case. The typical fashion for them is to over work the kids with 5:00am practices and 6 days-a-week skates until they look tired and slow and that seem to be the case. Last year's team benefitted greatly from all of the snow days in February & early March. And yes they grind them down and a few of the kids are reported to be sick.

The JV season was over a while ago, but they were definitely on the ice at varsity practice all last week and are supposed to be this week too!! Apparently it's a (new?) Hingham tradition--did it last year too. Only difference is it really didn't matter last year cuz D1 hockey is so bad compared to 1A.

The mistake that was made was the MIAA voting screw-up last year and then try to make it up to them this year when last year's team was better than this year's. Thanks MIAA that was a great favor.

I watched them play yesterday and it's true they don't have the top-end kids they had last year on either defense or forward but they seem to put a lot of kids out on the ice, even before it got out of hand. Watching them a couple years ago they stuck with just a few kids on D and a few lines up front and they were even worse.

You need to simply use your eyes because you can't compare scores because the other teams change as well. Just by using your eyes I'd say this team would lose to last years by at least a couple goals if not more. They had some quality forwards that went back to BA and they had the luxury of one of the better D pairings in D-1 H.S. hockey last season and they graduated. The boys you mentioned both played behind them last year so I think you can figure that out. Traditionally the difference between D-1 and D-1A isn't so much on the first couple lines but on the third and fourth, the Catholics are just deeper. What you saw yesterday was all four lines...again, using your eyes.

All this is well and good but the original post was about playing like you practice and it sounds like the coaches are winding down for Spring rather than trying to compete in what should be the last Super 8 for publics after Hingham's and Burlington's embarrassing performances. The team held its own versus PF in the regular season and gets blown out yesterday and the kids played with no energy at all. To me that reeks of lack of preparation.

You might be right about that! So far we agree. And don't be angry with the kid's dad. My kid is on JV's.