View Entire Thread
Re: Wahlstrom solid showing with USA under 17

Anon
anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Thanks, Dad (and in OW's case it's definitely Dad). Amazing? Bit strong. 22 points in 44 games. Very respectable, better than I expected, so kudos to him. But, his teammates are pretty decent, too.

Has been up and down. First year at SSM was really, strong. Second year, not as much.

Hope he makes it. Not ready to put him in the "amazing" class just yet.

His current team is pretty well diversified. All the boys are playing well. OWs 2nd year @ SSM was great, just like the first!
First year 65 games, 114 points. That's a great year. Second year 43 games, 52 points. That's a good year. 31% decline in PPG.

These are also games against his age group peers. Best gauge of "amazingness" is how he's doing in USHL games, where players are 2 - 3 years older.

Cant really compare his u14 numbers to his prep numbers! Totally different level of hockey. Frankly the 2nd year is more impressive all things considered.

Look at TW numbers at u14 and then at Cushing ( albeit coming off injury). You will see my point.

Kid (OW) literally almost never passes the puck. If its ever a question of shot versus pass you just know its going at the net. You can be pretty sure that any "assist" he ever gets is of the rebound variety (as in he shoots and teammate knocks in the rebound) not the pass to open teammate variety. Not one to make his teammates better. Nearly exact opposite player of JW.

You do realize that JW is to small to play at the next level, right? Same for TW. Both great but to small.

Jw is 5'10" 180lbs at 16.;I am certain he will be fine

Doubtful he will get any taller. Wish him the best but just playing devils advocate here.

Anon
Doubtful he will get any taller. Wish him the best but just playing devils advocate here.

D1 is full of 5'10"-5'11" forwards. Keep trying!

Anon
Anon

I don't think the guy was talking about D1. Of course he'll do well at BU. He'll be surrounded by the other top 5'6"- 5'11" forwards in the country. Its at higher levels he might struggle. Or maybe not. He is terrific. BTW, he's outscoring OW at NTDP on just over half as many shots. No one on team shoots as much as OW. Not even close.

anon
Anon
Anon

I don't think the guy was talking about D1. Of course he'll do well at BU. He'll be surrounded by the other top 5'6"- 5'11" forwards in the country. Its at higher levels he might struggle. Or maybe not. He is terrific. BTW, he's outscoring OW at NTDP on just over half as many shots. No one on team shoots as much as OW. Not even close.

Well if that's the case, let him get to the next level D1 before we start discussing the next level NHL.

Kid is 16.

Anon
Anon

That's true and what % of them make it to the show?

OW has twice as many goals than JW. Of course he has more shots, he's on the ice more, he also leads the team in goals. There is a reason for that.....

Anon
OW has twice as many goals than JW. Of course he has more shots, he's on the ice more, he also leads the team in goals. There is a reason for that.....

JF on NTDP has the same number of goals as OW on half as many shots. He also has twice as many assists as OW. And his are from passes. OW is really good at one thing, shooting. And that's all he has ever done. He's the Alexander Semin of youth hockey.

Anon
Anon

JF on NTDP has the same number of goals as OW on half as many shots. He also has twice as many assists as OW. And his are from passes. OW is really good at one thing, shooting. And that's all he has ever done. He's the Alexander Semin of youth hockey.

but all in all, things kinda worked out for Alexander Semin, eh?

Anon
Anon
anon
anon
Anon
Anon
Anon
Thanks, Dad (and in OW's case it's definitely Dad). Amazing? Bit strong. 22 points in 44 games. Very respectable, better than I expected, so kudos to him. But, his teammates are pretty decent, too.

Has been up and down. First year at SSM was really, strong. Second year, not as much.

His current team is pretty well diversified. All the boys are playing well. OWs 2nd year @ SSM was great, just like the first!
First year 65 games, 114 points. That's a great year. Second year 43 games, 52 points. That's a good year. 31% decline in PPG.

These are also games against his age group peers. Best gauge of "amazingness" is how he's doing in USHL games, where players are 2 - 3 years older.

Cant really compare his u14 numbers to his prep numbers! Totally different level of hockey. Frankly the 2nd year is more impressive all things considered.

Look at TW numbers at u14 and then at Cushing ( albeit coming off injury). You will see my point.

Kid (OW) literally almost never passes the puck. If its ever a question of shot versus pass you just know its going at the net. You can be pretty sure that any "assist" he ever gets is of the rebound variety (as in he shoots and teammate knocks in the rebound) not the pass to open teammate variety. Not one to make his teammates better. Nearly exact opposite player of JW.

You do realize that JW is to small to play at the next level, right? Same for TW. Both great but to small.

Jw is 5'10" 180lbs at 16.;I am certain he will be fine

He's been that big for last 4 years. Full 5-o'clock shadow at 3 pm.

JW is soft and does not back check. The kid didn't exactly lead central catholic to anything except a 10 loss season last year.

Anon

Ditto. The jury is out on him. I think he will end up fizzling out

The one thing the kid has that many of the other local prodigies didn't have is he has grown. I think I saw him listed as 6'1" somewhere which is a lot better than a lot of the local liliputin,' wee little people we have seen.

Anon
Anon

Ditto. The jury is out on him. I think he will end up fizzling out

He's far from fizzling out. That is by far one of the dumbest statements ever posted on dboard "OW takes twice as many shots" who cares, he is a stud, deal with it

Both JW and OW have always been head and shoulders above their peers. Back when they were younger, many kids were like that. These two have continued to progress and are on track for great college careers (possibly a short one) and a very good shot at making a good career in the NHL.

Dan
Both JW and OW have always been head and shoulders above their peers. Back when they were younger, many kids were like that. These two have continued to progress and are on track for great college careers (possibly a short one) and a very good shot at making a good career in the NHL.
I disagree. They were great young, I think the gap has closed. Neither player is a sure shot NHL player like the three MA players drafted in 2015.

Looks like JW is 2nd in the team in scoring and OW is 3rd. most would tell you that they have stood out more so than Eichel up to this point. Will be interesting to see how they progress moving forward.'

You are right, the gap has closed as it always does as other players get older. Crosby certainly doesn't score as may goals now per game as he did in peewees. These two have continued to be in the very top of the rated kids at their age. Although the gap has closed, they have maintained a gap, and that it what separates them from the other kids that peaked at 12. I said they have "a very good shot" at making a "good" career in the NHL. I know I will be rooting for them.

Dan
You are right, the gap has closed as it always does as other players get older. Crosby certainly doesn't score as may goals now per game as he did in peewees. These two have continued to be in the very top of the rated kids at their age. Although the gap has closed, they have maintained a gap, and that it what separates them from the other kids that peaked at 12. I said they have "a very good shot" at making a "good" career in the NHL. I know I will be rooting for them.

He's done it again! OW moved up to the U18 team and buries 2 big ones, playing on first line. So much for the kid not being that good!

OW continues to raise the bar.

Over the years the DBoarders have doubted guys like Adam Erne, Ryan Donato, Connor 'Lil' tidbit' Garland and Walstrom....

Sometimes they get it wrong.

anon
Over the years the DBoarders have doubted guys like Adam Erne, Ryan Donato, Connor 'Lil' tidbit' Garland and Walstrom....

Yep, DBoard: "often wrong, never in doubt..."

Anon
anon

Yep, DBoard: "often wrong, never in doubt..."

A lot of the Daddy dboarders have never played a sport let alone hockey just like all the parents at the rink. It's awful listening to all these people talk about something they know nothing about.

anon

Oh please, this place has dumped on each and every kid who has made it out of Massachusetts/New England in the last 10 years minimum. The list is much longer than the above and includes current NHL players that supposedly "suck" and only made it to the better teams around here because of their daddy. Daddy doesn't get you an NHL contract unless you're Ray Bourque. It's called envy and it's pretty ugly.

Daddy doesn't get you an NHL contract unless you're Ryan Donato!

anon
Daddy doesn't get you an NHL contract unless you're Ryan Donato!

So the kid puts up 40 points in 36 NCAA Division 1 college games and helps him team to a Frozen 4 berth and he still gets crapped on here. Too funny.

I don't care what his connections were the kid produced on one of the best teams in the country. If your kid has HALF the success this kid has had already he'd be doing just fine in life.

Anon
Dan

He's done it again! OW moved up to the U18 team and buries 2 big ones, playing on first line. So much for the kid not being that good!

Raise the bar? Over what? He's a very good player but two goals in a blow out against a bad team though is hardly raising the bar. He'll be drafted. Perhaps 1st round. But he's no Eichel or "generational talent" as the draft guru's tend to say, at least not yet. Now if he starts putting in a couple a game 5-4 wins against Canada and Sweden then I'll agree that he has raised the bar.

anon
Anon
Dan

Raise the bar? Over what? He's a very good player but two goals in a blow out against a bad team though is hardly raising the bar. He'll be drafted. Perhaps 1st round. But he's no Eichel or "generational talent" as the draft guru's tend to say, at least not yet. Now if he starts putting in a couple a game 5-4 wins against Canada and Sweden then I'll agree that he has raised the bar.

He blows by D1 & NHL players every week. Don't be a player hater. The kid is solid and there is no disputing it.

Anon
anon
Anon
Dan

He blows by D1 & NHL players every week. Don't be a player hater. The kid is solid and there is no disputing it.
Where, in Foxboro Spring League? Hopefully you don't think they are going full tilt.

anon
Anon
anon
Anon
Dan

Where, in Foxboro Spring League? Hopefully you don't think they are going full tilt.

Half tilt or full tilt, doesn't matter, he's playing very well while your kid is no tilt playing beer league.

My kid plays in the FPL. If your judging anything by that you have no clue. It's no check shinny hockey. The kids a very good player. Leave it at that.

I wonder why the kid's dad is so insecure that he has to come on here and pump the kid's tires. Seems like bad juju to me. . . hope it doesn't bite the kid in the backside.

anon
I wonder why the kid's dad is so insecure that he has to come on here and pump the kid's tires. Seems like bad juju to me. . . hope it doesn't bite the kid in the backside.
Kid's dad thinks he is the LaVar Ball of NE hockey. Talk about bad juju. I'm actually glad to see the kid doing well despite his father making him a media target so regularly, since he was 9.

anon
anon
Kid's dad thinks he is the LaVar Ball of NE hockey. Talk about bad juju. I'm actually glad to see the kid doing well despite his father making him a media target so regularly, since he was 9.

Exactly. Wish the kid well but karma tells me he might be cursed with something like a real injury or going off the deep end all inspired by the old man's non-stop promotion.

Have you met him? Good kid, smart, respectful. He will do fine. And yes he has lived up to the hype. You can't hate him for that.

You hate him because your saint ain't him...

anon
My kid plays in the FPL. If your judging anything by that you have no clue. It's no check shinny hockey. The kids a very good player. Leave it at that.
I continue to be amazed at how many people can't really watch games and understand what is going on, but talk like they know the game. That isn't a commentary on OW.

My groins are tight.But my snapper is a laser show!