email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Overdue change for H.S. hockey

anon
With all of the parity and close games / ties so far this season maybe it's time to expand the high school game to 18 minute periods from the current 15 minute periods. Preps do it, why can't the high schools? MIAA are you still that out of touch???

I can tell you why, HS would have to buy more ice time, it's called economics. Most Preps have their own rink.

Nine minutes more of ice time per game would be prohibitive? (Actually compared to 45 minutes per game nine more minutes might be a sufficient deciding amount of time.) These holiday tournaments going into an OT and a 7-8 rounds of a shoot-out would cover more than 9 minutes.

It s the MIAA

Nothing to do with the price of ice. Most high schools have to get a 2hr block for a game. They never use the full 2 hrs. Most coaches want the longer periods. The other thing they should do if they don't do longer periods they should have OT. 5 min 3 on 3 would be great for the HS game.

As strange as it sounds I've heard prep school use the 18 minute periods as a selling point when trying to lure kids over from high schools. So MIAA, why not?

I think level of competition and education are the selling points. No kid is going to be sold over 9 minutes of extra game time. that relates to like 3/4 extra shifts a game. any kid playing for his HS that a prep is trying to get would in all honesty be taking a huge ice time loss going to prep. If he is being recruited them he is playing like 25-32 minutes a game in HS and all special teams

I went to a public high school game this week and honestly the resurfacing of the ice between periods took longer than the actual playing time. Zamboni guy was late getting on, had issues with his machine, swapped it out both intermissions with another machine.... Just add a few minutes and get it over with.

Because a lot of teams only have two lines.