email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: U 16

Anon
Don't forget to mention he'll be just 1 of 3 goalies....... That's a lot of money to ride the pine. Keep that in mind.

That is going to be my issue with it. What would I rather do, pay nothing for him to sit on the bench for his high school or pay $6-10k for him to sit on the bench with a U16 team. If he is not going to get playing time, then why would I pay when I don't have to.

Anon
Anon
Don't forget to mention he'll be just 1 of 3 goalies....... That's a lot of money to ride the pine. Keep that in mind.

That is going to be my issue with it. What would I rather do, pay nothing for him to sit on the bench for his high school or pay $6-10k for him to sit on the bench with a U16 team. If he is not going to get playing time, then why would I pay when I don't have to.
Ummm, maybe find a U16 team where he's the starting goalie?

Find something close to home. If he hasn't been asked or recruited to play for a team yet then he is most likely going to ride the pine for at least sometime wherever you go. Maybe find a good 1/2 season option as coaches usually play everyone before they bolt to school, then have him play high school. Also, don't forget to ask him what he wants to do, a unhappy goalie isn't good for anyone involved.

anon
Find something close to home. If he hasn't been asked or recruited to play for a team yet then he is most likely going to ride the pine for at least sometime wherever you go. Maybe find a good 1/2 season option as coaches usually play everyone before they bolt to school, then have him play high school. Also, don't forget to ask him what he wants to do, a unhappy goalie isn't good for anyone involved.

My son did a half season and is "playing" for his high school varsity team (meaning going to practices and then sitting on the bench). So if I don't find a U16 team where he would start or will get playing time, then he will just stay with the high school. Like I said, if he's just going to sit on the bench, then I'd rather not pay for it. At least the varsity team practices more so he would get more ice time.

anon
I'd agree with, let's see, none of that.

Any goalie on a U16 FS team is going to have to "ride the pine" at least one third of the time, probably closer to one half. They don't have just one goalie, they have to have at least two, and they are usually 1 and 1A. You can't get caught short in case of an injury, illness, or exam week. The leagues won't tolerate that. And any coach knows you have to commit to playing the two goalies relatively equally to get two good ones.

Most (all?) of the local FS teams' stats are tracked on EliteProspects.com. You can look to see how evenly split the goalie time is.

Finding the right option may mean not staying close to home. Goalies, especially, do tend to be candidates to billet. Not saying that's the right answer for any individual kid.

Goalie dad already said HS isn't an attractive option, which means half season isn't, either.

But other than that, spot on!

anon
anon

Any goalie on a U16 FS team is going to have to "ride the pine" at least one third of the time, probably closer to one half. They don't have just one goalie, they have to have at least two, and they are usually 1 and 1A. You can't get caught short in case of an injury, illness, or exam week. The leagues won't tolerate that. And any coach knows you have to commit to playing the two goalies relatively equally to get two good ones.

Most (all?) of the local FS teams' stats are tracked on EliteProspects.com. You can look to see how evenly split the goalie time is.

Finding the right option may mean not staying close to home. Goalies, especially, do tend to be candidates to billet. Not saying that's the right answer for any individual kid.

Goalie dad already said HS isn't an attractive option, which means half season isn't, either.

He has no problem with only play 1/2 of the games. He's done that for years with his youth teams, either playing half games or every other game. So I have no problem with this. At least he knows he will get some playing time. With his high school team, the coach's feeling seems to be that the oldest goalies play all the games, no matter that the younger ones might be better.

Anon
anon
anon

He has no problem with only play 1/2 of the games. He's done that for years with his youth teams, either playing half games or every other game. So I have no problem with this. At least he knows he will get some playing time. With his high school team, the coach's feeling seems to be that the oldest goalies play all the games, no matter that the younger ones might be better.

The tryouts for the handful of local full season U16's in the area should be ramping up in March. Pick a few and see what happens. Take a look at some of the Preps in you're area as well. Maybe you hit it right and you guy may fill a need.

Anon
Anon
anon
anon

The tryouts for the handful of local full season U16's in the area should be ramping up in March. Pick a few and see what happens. Take a look at some of the Preps in you're area as well. Maybe you hit it right and you guy may fill a need.

Its way too late to be looking at Preps for next season. Application deadlines have already passed at most schools.

In any event you shouldn't even bother looking at Preps if your kid isn't being actively recruited by them. He could be the best player on the ice, but if he's not a recruit he'll sit behind the kids who were. That goes for any position, not just goalies. The coaches have to justify the academic leniency--and the financial aid $$--their picks get and they can't do that if they're sitting behind an unrecruited kid who got in on his own merit (i.e., without the coach's pull). Since most schools recruit older kids (repeat Juniors and PGs) its really not even worth looking at Prep until the beginning of Junior year in HS--and then, like I said, only if they're being actively recruited. If you aren't sure whether that's the case, then they aren't.

anon
Its way too late to be looking at Preps for next season. Application deadlines have already passed at most schools.

In any event you shouldn't even bother looking at Preps if your kid isn't being actively recruited by them. He could be the best player on the ice, but if he's not a recruit he'll sit behind the kids who were. That goes for any position, not just goalies. The coaches have to justify the academic leniency--and the financial aid $$--their picks get and they can't do that if they're sitting behind an unrecruited kid who got in on his own merit (i.e., without the coach's pull). Since most schools recruit older kids (repeat Juniors and PGs) its really not even worth looking at Prep until the beginning of Junior year in HS--and then, like I said, only if they're being actively recruited. If you aren't sure whether that's the case, then they aren't.
Most schools will get the application through without a problem, if they're interested in your kid.

And, most top prep coaches want a recruited kid for three years, not two. Yes, you'll see a lot of kids recruited for Junior year, but a lot of them then repeat, too.

But you are dead right about walk-ons not getting a sniff at the top recruiting schools. What coach is going to admit that a student there on his own merits is better than a kid the school is bankrolling to be there?

anon
anon

Most schools will get the application through without a problem, if they're interested in your kid.

And, most top prep coaches want a recruited kid for three years, not two. Yes, you'll see a lot of kids recruited for Junior year, but a lot of them then repeat, too.

But you are dead right about walk-ons not getting a sniff at the top recruiting schools. What coach is going to admit that a student there on his own merits is better than a kid the school is bankrolling to be there?

Thanks guys, but clearly we're not talking about powerhouse D1 Prep programs. If you can't get playing time at a public/catholic, then you're certainly not getting a look there, but there are plenty of D2 Preps always on the look out to round out rosters. Kind of late in the process, but again, if it's something you're interested in, contact the coach and see if they have a need. Worst that's going to happen is they tell you to try again next year.

anon

The more hockey-focused the school is, the earlier they recruit (e.g., Avon, Salisbury). The more academic-focused the school is, the later (e.g., Andover, Hotchkiss). The hockey schools actually develop talent further after they arrive and the kids can handle the coursework. The academic schools do very little development and are more worried that their hockey recruits won't be able to cut more than 2 years in their classrooms.