High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Outdated 'systems' -

this post makes no sense --- first you say:

anon
I watched a top h.s. team play and when a defense man would attempt to work the puck out of their own zone the coaches would lose it benching kids for D-to-D passing

so if the player did not do as the coach said they were benched. but then you say:
anon
Last night I watched the same team, same coaches and the kids were all about puck control, passing, working the puck out of their zone, forwards working to get open, stretch passes.... why the change. He told me a couple years ago the players decided to dump the coach's old preferred 'system' mid-season and they instituted their own style of play

wait i thought you said they would be benched. MAYBE just maybe the one play you saw 'years ago' in which the coaches were upset was because --- they needed a line change or that player had failed on the same play x times or they were running out the clock or...

no you want us to believe THE PLAYERS, as in ALL of them, just decided not to follow the game plan one time and the coaches LOVED IT.

Sorry sometimes we play 1,2,2 other times 2,1,2. We have had teams play 1,3,1, the box plus 1 and others an X. It depends on the talent on our team v the talent on theirs... a/k/a designing a plan with best chance to win. and yes sometimes we dump and chase which actually does work with the right mix --- sometimes.

anon
I love the outdated systems old coaches still play. Some are still encouraging kids to throw the puck away and go for the old 'dump & chase.'

A few years ago I watched a top h.s. team play and when a defensemen would attempt to work the puck out of their own zone the coaches would lose it. Benching kids for D-to-D passing and instead yell at them to bang it off of the glass just to get it out of their zone.

Last night I watched the same team, same coaches and the kids were all about puck control, passing, working the puck out of their zone, forwards working to get open, stretch passes.... and I asked one of the more knowledgeable parents what happened, why the change. He told me a couple years ago the players decided to dump the coach's old preferred 'system' mid-season and they instituted their own style of play that they play on their off-season team(s). Let's just say they have greatly improved and it appears the coaches are much more quiet on the bench.

Good for the kids. The game evolves.

The dump and chase works f'ing great.

Bang it off the glass and chase...find a stray puck and throw it on net....your Daddy's hockey.

There are times to go high and out, times to carry it out, times to hit your wing on the boards, times to let the center move it up the middle and times to reverse and exploit the weak side. Having a solid/ experienced D Core will use their judgement to play the situation- good coaching and situational play in practice helps. Experience, maturity and skill don't hurt- But it's the game that teaches the game.