The Official New England Ice Hockey DBoard 

Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HS Tryouts Coming

Is everybody making sure that they attend the boosters meetings, kiss the coaches butt, sell extra raffle tickets so Little Johnny makes the team this year? Have you made sure to call the Coach to let him know how much Johnny has developed in the off-season?

Re: HS Tryouts Coming

You forgot to mention donations to the coaches’ skating and skills “clinics” for the last 6 months. It is amazing how many clueless people are involved in this sport.

Unfortunately some towns and coaches work this way and put the kids of those parents on the team

Not just town teams. Look at central catholic all of those kids in the program have to make donations to Max Dynamic Skating and support the head coach and the 2 assistants financially all year long or they will never see the ice during the season. It’s all about the cash town or private does not matter. If you pay you play.

How about taking the coach out for free golf all summer and fall , i know one of those people ........

Sounds like a bunch of people making excuses before the season starts...If your son or anyone else can really play they will make the team... if you are doing all the other stuff so your kid can ride the pine, you have prob been doing that stuff since mites... same with the people that started this thread, poor me, my kid never got any breaks, everyone else had a connection... nope, some kids can play some can't, some kids love the game and put in the work, others don't same with everything in life.

Dr Ruth
Sounds like a bunch of people making excuses before the season starts...If your son or anyone else can really play they will make the team... if you are doing all the other stuff so your kid can ride the pine, you have prob been doing that stuff since mites... same with the people that started this thread, poor me, my kid never got any breaks, everyone else had a connection... nope, some kids can play some can't, some kids love the game and put in the work, others don't same with everything in life.

there is some truth in what you say but you can't with absolute certainty say politics doesn't exist and matter in these situations.

it does.

Anon
Dr Ruth

there is some truth in what you say but you can't with absolute certainty say politics doesn't exist and matter in these situations.

it does.
No different than any other level, from youth to pros. In any sport.

Anon
Dr Ruth
Sounds like a bunch of people making excuses before the season starts...If your son or anyone else can really play they will make the team... if you are doing all the other stuff so your kid can ride the pine...
there is some truth in what you say but you can't with absolute certainty say politics doesn't exist and matter in these situations. it does.
of course 'politics' exist, they do at ALL levels of --- everything. but are we seriously concerned about the final 2 or 3 spots on a HS roster. you understand for most teams the third line is used a handful of shifts a game, maybe and the fourth (yes, fine the ones that are there because of 'politics') see a handful of shifts A YEAR. i want to win.... period. during a close game thoughts of 'jonnie's mom' is the --- boosters president or top donator does not enter my mind. i am consumed with our goalie let in THAT or 3v1 was wasted or...

In the bad schools, I love the parents who tell coaches their frosh will be playing there and bolt after 1 year. This one is second of course to coach putting his son on varsity when he can barely keep up on JV

Is there an MIAA rule about playing for your club team and your HS team?

Asking for a friend....

Anon
Is there an MIAA rule about playing for your club team and your HS team?

Asking for a friend....
miaa - your hs team comes first. period. so if there is a 'chalk talk' meeting for your hs freshman team, you have to go to that over the club championship game. once you are released, you can do 'what you want'.

btw there are waivers for nearly every rule so if your 'friend' is playing in the Olympics you can ask for a waiver (coach, ad, miaa have to sign off --- yes anyone one of them can block it).

team/coach - many have restrictions on what you can and can not do 'on your own time'. the smarter ones do so verbally and by benching rather than suspending. they can then 'claim' a poor practice on the benching.

Most good HS coaches in good HS programs want their under class men skating on club teams. That’s how they develop. If your HS coach mandates JV or Frosh attendance over quality club play he is a loser. If your son is not playing for a D1 HS that is Super 8 bound then you should probably stick with your club program anyway. Don’t worry about burning a bridge as the HS coach will always take the better players in order to win games and keep his job.

Anon
Most good HS coaches in good HS programs want their under class men skating on club teams. That’s how they develop. If your HS coach mandates JV or Frosh attendance over quality club play he is a loser. If your son is not playing for a D1 HS that is Super 8 bound then you should probably stick with your club program anyway. Don’t worry about burning a bridge as the HS coach will always take the better players in order to win games and keep his job.
"Good HS coaches" LOL.

"Good HS coaches" LOL.

I second that.

I think the hardest part for any high school coach who is good is having to cook the various talent levels. Even in the public school d1 level big difference between first line and third line. Fourth line probably should be on JV. For D2 and D3 anything below the top line should probably pick another sport.

Anon
coaches want/expect you to SUPPLEMENT their jv/fresh with club not replace.