Click Here to Visit Our Facebook Page

email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 2002's

How does a Hockey East school have 30+ commits ? The same way the other top dog Div I schools do it - they have scholarship players playing on their CLUB teams. That is their "pool" to pull from for injuries, academic problems, etc.

Anon
How does a Hockey East school have 30+ commits ? The same way the other top dog Div I schools do it - they have scholarship players playing on their CLUB teams. That is their "pool" to pull from for injuries, academic problems, etc.
That may be, but it wasn't like that until recently. I have a friend whose son was at a Hockey East school, is now in the NHL, and when he committed they had maybe 20. Even then Dad was nervous about the numbers. So 30+ is a huge increase.

Hockey East teams have 18 full scholarships per season, to be split between 23-24 players, players either get full rides, some are split like 2for4 or 3for4, etc., and some of walk-on's who get nothing and are happy to be there (they also don't play). Head coach's are like general managers, they have to mange their monies (scholarships), and also manage who is coming in and when. Some kids will be pushed back, some kids even get de-committed by the school if they don't develop like the team expected. Nothing is guaranteed until you sign your NLI, and even after that, your scholarship award goes one year at a time. How do I know this? My kid committed at 15, played Prep, USHL, and now Hockey East. Any parent that is in the middle of this right now, come into this with your eyes wide open, choose a school that you think he will like and where you think he will play.

Darn! So I never played more than high school hockey, never coached a college team, never played in the NHL and have never held an NHL front office job and I don't have any relatives who did any of these things either! So for my kid I guess BC is out.

anon
Darn! So I never played more than high school hockey, never coached a college team, never played in the NHL and have never held an NHL front office job and I don't have any relatives who did any of these things either! So for my kid I guess BC is out.
There's academic money in the equation too. If a player has good grades and high SAT score, that makes life easy for the coach because the player will get academic money and will need less athletic money. Thus more athletic money (from 18 hockey scholarships) will be available for the coach to use to acquire other players.

But the University isn't giving out academic money to 16 year olds. That comes later.

anon
Here you go http://collegehockeyinc.com/commitments.php
sort by starting year and will have to look through the 20-21 year to find them, but there are a bunch.

Thank you for sharing,
looks like the great Fed only has the two kids listed in the original post so far,

couple of others were part time Westchester players

Zero... None, Nada. College commit? 02? Really...? Means nothing, check the college rosters, almost no one under 21 is playing, and that's as a freshman... So a commit to a 15 year old? Play the lottery, same chance of winning.

PA- Leese
Zero... None, Nada. College commit? 02? Really...? Means nothing, check the college rosters, almost no one under 21 is playing, and that's as a freshman... So a commit to a 15 year old? Play the lottery, same chance of winning.

Funny how clueless you are...avg at BC/BU is 20yr 4 months. Thats average.

Here is a helpful reminder on some of the posting limitations we view as acceptable here on the Ice Hockey DBoard. Obviously we would like to keep the DBoard open for informative and honest discussion, we do not want to keep policing the posts for every derogatory or childish detail.

It is O.K. to be critical of programs, venues and in some cases adult players and coaches but we do hope you refrain from using names. What is NOT ACCEPTABLE are slanderous posts, accusations of unfound illegal activity, calling-out individuals by name, posting hearsay or damaging opinions.

Once again we would like to remind posters that many good people have worked very hard for the game and championed the sport of hockey for many years in the region and they often have a large percentage of their net worth, personal lives and reputations tied to their efforts and they do not deserve to have anonymous posters potentially ruin what they have worked for and/or accomplished.

Thank you,

DBoard Administrator