email: icehockeydboard@yahoo.com

High School & Prep Hockey
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep School tuition and Financial Aid

Anon
Curious as to how much parents are getting for financial aid?

I know it's between full of and none

In most cases, if the school WANTS your family, you will be on the hook for Room and Board..If your son is a true stud and recruited, they will find more. Check out boardingschoolreview.com and take a look at what they show as Average Aid. Schools are now putting that info on their quick facts segment of the school web page.

I was told to consider what you pay for Hockey Tuition and any other sport..say 6K for hockey 2K for sport x, thats 8K per year, now consider food, etc..maybe another 2K per year. Thats 10K you are spending without school, so if you can get into a good prep for 15K per year, its a good investment.

Agree. If you can get in for the same as it would cost for a CC school, you are doing well.

anon
Anon

In most cases, if the school WANTS your family, you will be on the hook for Room and Board..If your son is a true stud and recruited, they will find more. Check out boardingschoolreview.com and take a look at what they show as Average Aid. Schools are now putting that info on their quick facts segment of the school web page.

I was told to consider what you pay for Hockey Tuition and any other sport..say 6K for hockey 2K for sport x, thats 8K per year, now consider food, etc..maybe another 2K per year. Thats 10K you are spending without school, so if you can get into a good prep for 15K per year, its a good investment.

Totally agree! If you break it down you will see that it is definitely worth it up to a certain point($$$cost) and also based on your child's goals.

I have also looked at it this way. If it is great academicly, athletically and the kind of environment that will help my kids grow as people then I could justify paying even more, which for our family is a stretch.

I can also see why a family would choose an alternative path as well.

Good luck

Anon

ISL schools will give you nothing unless you are financially unable to pay

the non member schools have $ to offer

anon
Anon

Not true. ISL schools do give financial aid based on need. Not everyone in those schools are paying $40k plus a year. Check the schools web site for average tuition paid per family. People in middle class are receiving aid. If you apply to a school apply for financial aid. If accepted you will receive a financial aid package.

Anon
anon
Anon

Not true. ISL schools do give financial aid based on need. Not everyone in those schools are paying $40k plus a year. Check the schools web site for average tuition paid per family. People in middle class are receiving aid. If you apply to a school apply for financial aid. If accepted you will receive a financial aid package.

Hey Sparky, what's the difference between need and being financially able to pay???

Bottom line after they signed the cheating pact ISL schools do not give $ unless your income says you need it to pay the bill

Non ISL schools can give families anything they feel like giving

Anon
Bottom line after they signed the cheating pact ISL schools do not give $ unless your income says you need it to pay the bill
Yeah, right. And Santa delivers presents to all the children around the world in a single night.

Actually, he's correct. ISL bylaws prohibit member schools from offering non-need-based financial aid. That is why LA was hit with sanctions in 2011 (see http://archive.boston.com/sports/schools/football/articles/2011/04/21/lawrence_academy_hit_with_isl_sanctions/) and also why SPS withdrew from the ISL (see https://www.sps.edu/page/news-detail?pk=848785). If you want an athletic scholarship then look at schools in the other leagues. Seriously though, if your kid is good enough for an athletic scholarship then the school will find you.

Some posters on this site have difficulty with statistics. The "average" is not the same as the "mode." A school might give a few full/nearly full scholarships and a lot of very small awards to arrive at the average award. Also, the average tuition for a boarder is pushing $60k, not $40k. You will also be on the hook for about $5k per year of mandatory expenses.

The way FA works with independent schools is you submit an FA application to the school through SSS by NAIS. The website is here https://www.solutionsbysss.com/parents/apply/. SSS will take all of your income and savings info, and details about all your family expenses (including how much you spend on vacations, car loans, hockey camps, booze, prostitutes and so on). You will also provide tax returns, pay-stubs, bank statements, 401k statements and other supporting docs. The skirt is lifted up nice and high. SSS calculates your expected parent contribution and that is sent to the school. However, that is usually not the number that the school will use to calculate your award. The school will offer you less than SSS calculates you should get by at least a few thousand.

Another really nice thing that happens when your kid is a new applicant is that you get "the call" from your coach/admissions person before March 10th. When you answer the call you are told that they would love to have your son come to the school next year but sadly there is no FA available for him. Remember, they have seen your tax returns, bank balances, 401k statements and everything else by now so they know you could raid your savings to pay for school. They will advise you that the FA wait-list is just a rejection using nicer words. After the awkward pause they will ask, "which letter should he get on March 10th, accepted or wait-listed?"

Pro Tip: Don't let your kid get his hopes up too high because a lot of great kids are disappointed on March 10th. If you are a FP applicant then the world is your oyster.

Fact Check
Actually, he's correct. ISL bylaws prohibit member schools from offering non-need-based financial aid. That is why LA was hit with sanctions in 2011 (see http://archive.boston.com/sports/schools/football/articles/2011/04/21/lawrence_academy_hit_with_isl_sanctions/) and also why SPS withdrew from the ISL (see https://www.sps.edu/page/news-detail?pk=848785). If you want an athletic scholarship then look at schools in the other leagues.
And I'm telling you that the same stuff that was going on in ISL schools in 2011 is still going on. Despite knowing plenty about points of central tendency, I can't offer proof the schools are still cheating. It probably slowed, but never stopped.

Then I misunderstood your post. Most fingers of suspicion seem to point to LA. Looks like the football team is on a roll this year. Heard they are BIG.

Fact Check

Pro Tip: Don't let your kid get his hopes up too high because a lot of great kids are disappointed on March 10th. If you are a FP applicant then the world is your oyster.

You got it. Hockey is turning into a rich boy's sport. It's really too bad.

anon
Fact Check

You got it. Hockey is turning into a rich boy's sport. It's really too bad.
I had read past this "tip" earlier. I guess that may be true at some schools, but my experience is the opposite. No coach is going to choose a FP "walk-on" over a recruited kid that he helped secure aid for.

If a school recruits 100% of their team - and some of the top schools do, with rosters set on April 10th - it's actually a disadvantage if you can't qualify for aid.

Anon
anon
Fact Check

If a school recruits 100% of their team - and some of the top schools do, with rosters set on April 10th - it's actually a disadvantage if you can't qualify for aid.

How is it a disadvantage to be rich?

Anon
Anon

How is it a disadvantage to be rich?
I already explained. It's a zero sum game, not unlimited roster spots. A coach is not going to admit that a FP is "better" than someone he went to Admissions and got $25,000 of aid for, that he couldn't live without (well, that he needed for the team to be competitive).

Take a look at the benches at the top ISL schools. Way more players than are needed. Recruited kids getting limited minutes.

$25,000 of financial aid is on the low end for the kid they "Must Have". If you look at the avg aid package at most schools for the general student or student /athlete is typically more then that.

Don't get me wrong, going to elite academic/athletic school at almost half off is nothing to sneeze at. Just saying, I know parents who have there kids ( not game changers) going for $15k or less because they truly cannot afford more.

Anon
$25,000 of financial aid is on the low end for the kid they "Must Have". If you look at the avg aid package at most schools for the general student or student /athlete is typically more then that.

Don't get me wrong, going to elite academic/athletic school at almost half off is nothing to sneeze at. Just saying, I know parents who have there kids ( not game changers) going for $15k or less because they truly cannot afford more.
I just picked a number. I'll assume your definition of "truly can't afford more" is on the level. Most people live way beyond their means, leaving little for savings and true "luxury items" like prep school tuition. I don't feel a compulsion to subsidize a kid whose parents drive cars less than three years old, $300 cell phone bills and $200 cable bills.

Anon
Anon

Well, I'll assume your definition of "truly can't afford more" is on the level. Most people live way beyond their means, leaving little for savings and true "luxury items" like prep school tuition. I don't feel a compulsion to subsidize a kid whose parents drive cars less than three years old, $300 cell phone bills and $200 cable bills.

The people I am talking about are working class people. Good, hard working people. I am sure the admissions people were able to gauge them long before SSS determined what aid they qualified for. Plenty of these kids are playing at Prep schools and most of them are not future D1 players.

A couple of Preps used the top priced CC schools as a benchmark when they put the numbers out.

anon
A couple of Preps used the top priced CC schools as a benchmark when they put the numbers out.

What are most willing to pay? Obviously, for many it really does come down to what you can afford, but what are the comparitives?

$15K, $20K, $40K. If it is PA, PEA, Milton, Groton where the education/experience can lead to so much more or Cushing, New Hampton, Tilton, AOF where I am sure the education/experience is good but not nearly as much as the aforementioned and some of the others.

USPHL U18 is getting stronger. Probably because of the dangling carrot (NCDC). Will this influence the Preps with aid packages? Stay at a very good public or private day school and play U18. The better public schools are in predominately more affluent communities. These families have a different formula then many others and many already have the stickers on their cars from their other kids.

U18 ( $10k +/-) + Public High School or CC ( $15k +/-) or Prep ?

For those of you who have gone through the process, what was your backup plan? Kid gets accepted, not enough aid..what is the backup plan, public school and FS club team, Catholic HS?

My son is in Isl upper mid class we pay 10,000.

Anon

Day student or Boarder ?

Board

Anon
There's your proof that the schools are cheating.

A buddy of mine had a truly elite payer that is in the NHL now. He made upward of $250,000 a year. Kid got a couple of grand, and that was only because he had a daughter in college. That school played it straight.

Compare that to this poster that is getting $35K - $40K as "upper mid class."